Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Here Comes a Thot
Skill Slots have been in the game since it's inception. Slowly changing and drifting in and out over the years. In recent times, it's now even more accessible to have your kit available by sheer virtue of gaining more skill slots based on level! (6 in total extra!)

Humans get an extra 2. If you use a tome, you get 5 more.

If you're an Innovator, you get a whole whopping 99!!!

The problem is, some class combos will straight up never use all of these slots, while other class combos that are heavily reliant on their skills, or their class just has so many skills it requires to function / do half of it's shit (LOOKING AT YOU DEMON HUNTER. 10 skill slots from you alone. 7 from soldier) (Also Engineer. Engineer, at least, gets 2 different ways to expand skill slots in Rogue and Engineer itself)

Some classes are extremely egregious, whether with skill points for their abilities to function (rank 5 classes vs the Rank 3 classes are especially noticeable), or you get so many skills that require 1-2 points that you're struggling to figure out what you want.

I don't have to use GUI in my build.. but WIL is 1 slot / 10, SKI is 1 / 5 -- but if I want more slots from SKI I'm spending 15+ points to get to the next threshhold.. So might as well put thieving on my gloves for 1 extra slot.

So I've got a few ideas to just deal with this.

1 ) Add a new enchantment for your accessories or glove slot that gives you a few more skill slots. More than Thieving. Maybe 1 slot for an accessory-- 4 or 5 for gloves.

Or the wildly more skeptical one.

2 ) Just get rid of Skill slots altogether. Every class is already inhibited by what it can bring into a fight by the amount of skill points it can invest into said class. Certain things that function as a steroid for Skill Slots can be changed (class skill wise)

Fluency's Spellbook: The first (RANK*1) spells you have in your skill list now have an efficiency bonus to casting them of 30% FP off.

Resourceful: When using your skills, there is a (RANK*10)% chance that you will receive a 'freebie', and the skill will cost 0 FP to use.

Technological Marvel: Just get rid of it.

3 ) ...Just remove the skill slots from gui (???) and put them into Aptitude. I really hate building GUI if I don't have to just so I can have my full kit.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rendar's post:
  • MothEnthusiast
I do think skill slots need a rebalancing... It's only relevant for a few builds, if even that. Honestly I don't know why guile gives that many points when rogue already has that as an innate. Just make guile not give sp and make it give something else instead, and suddenly skill pool would matter for everyone again.

Or just remove the mechanic altogether, but I think we would lose something interesting by doing that. Or hell, maybe just leave it as is cause it's not that big of a deal anyway.
Personally I don't think arbitrary limitations on how many of your skills you can carry into a fight qualifies as something interesting. Especially in a world where people often RP knowing all of the skills of all of the classes they've ever used... ICly it doesn't make much sense for you to not know how to use a skill one fight, then know how to use it perfectly fine the next without even eating a Fruit or anything. There's only so far you can go to mitigate this between classes, sure, but this applies even to the SAME class.

I wouldn't miss skill pool slots if they were removed, honestly.
A crazy idea could be... What if the less skills equipped meant your damage and damage reduction increased?
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • sirtrex
(12-03-2023, 02:38 AM)Snake Wrote: A crazy idea could be... What if the less skills equipped meant your damage and damage reduction increased?

Crazy idea indeed. Mostly because that'd be ripe for abuse and just add another layer of complexity to balancing every skill in the game... Not really worth it IMO.
Personally, while skill slots are a pain. I'm in the field that if they did not exist at all... There's going to be some kinda cheeseball build that has FAR too much utility to it with 0 checks that suddenly dominates the meta because its one weakness was removed, that being skill slottage for all the off color defensive stats it's able to take. So if we change skill slots... We gotta make sure to take a look at everything so we don't wind up with doomwalls that out dps glass cannons.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
(12-03-2023, 12:51 PM)Raigen.Convict Wrote: Personally, while skill slots are a pain. I'm in the field that if they did not exist at all... There's going to be some kinda cheeseball build that has FAR too much utility to it with 0 checks that suddenly dominates the meta because its one weakness was removed, that being skill slottage for all the off color defensive stats it's able to take. So if we change skill slots... We gotta make sure to take a look at everything so we don't wind up with doomwalls that out dps glass cannons.
Realistically no one really would go unchecked by the absence of skill slots altogether.
The only realistical option I could think of would be SKIless ST, and that can just...get spells for free.

You'd just be doing some DHs and MAs a service
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ray2064's post:
  • MothEnthusiast
The absence of skill slots would probably not change anything from an outside perspective. But certain builds will have a little more versatility... I would be down for it tbh
If all are in agreement then let there be absence of skill slottage!
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raigen.Convict's post:
  • MothEnthusiast