Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.2 Average
The State of Healing
Potion sickness for healing is... an idea. I don't know that I really support it as it gives very little validity to having multiple healing skills, and still doesn't account for the extra effective HP someone has with a healing class over a non-healing class. It's just that I see no possible way for a class with zero healing to EVER compare to a class that can pump out 230 HP heals, even on a 3-7 round cooldown. And classes that have healing have multiple in most cases.

I just want a little bit of the love to spread to stuff like Evoker and DH who have literally nothing in that regard.

EDIT: Additional thought into this post reminded me that certain rushdown DPS builds can probably beat a healer, but that's certainly a rarity. Most healers have very good DR to compound on top of it, often turning 100 damage into 20 or less. Also in an earlier post, I said Arb vs MA while forgetting that MA has Meditation. Sub MA for anything without a heal, like the aforementioned Evo or DH.
I don't really think giving everyone good means of durability's the solution, unless you want every single fight to hit 20 rounds at a minimum.
At the end of the day I'd rather actually...do something about the problem in itself rather than throw band aids around.
066: Birth of the Robot Emperor
You say that, but aren't really offering anything as a solution. If a healer v non-healer fight ends almost exclusively with the healer winning (assuming equal player skill), because the healer can gain insane amounts of HP back past their defenses, then what do you suggest to fix it?

One player gets 240~ hp every few turns, the other heals 3 every turn through misc little regen points. I don't think giving everyone at least SOME way of healing is really a 'bandaid' as it is evening the playing field. Sure, it's not the end-all be-all of fixing the healing issue, but it'd make a lot of match-ups feel more fair. Add in my other suggestion to significantly ramp up FP costs for healing skills/spells and the argument of long fights goes out the window IMO.

Besides. Every fight with a healer already does go 20+ rounds, so we're past that point anyway. That's if the healer doesn't just auto-win out of attrition, of course.
Healers should be more easy to be killed.

SWA scaling on heals keeps the numbers out of control. Back when only FAI was used to determine a healing's potency, things were more balanced since most healers had to go cookie cutter, so their builds were predictable and easy to be tweaked. Now anything with an Arcane enchant can be a healer while boasting any form of scaled weapon attack.

I think that all heals could have their cooldowns reduced in trade of scaling only from either FAI, WIL or GUI, depending on the type of heal it is. That's a much more better way to balance it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Autumn
If that did end up being how they got balanced, then you'd have to also take a look at things that scale independently of the character using them. Things like rest beat come to mind, with 180+ HP and FP healing at max. That and with a number change that drastic, you risk overcorrecting and making heals a lot less useful. Cutting SWA to a degree is probably a good call, but outright removing it probably isn't. It was changed for a reason, after all.
(12-23-2023, 04:39 PM)Snake Wrote: Healers should be more easy to be killed.

SWA scaling on heals keeps the numbers out of control. Back when only FAI was used to determine a healing's potency, things were more balanced since most healers had to go cookie cutter, so their builds were predictable and easy to be tweaked. Now anything with an Arcane enchant can be a healer while boasting any form of scaled weapon attack.

I think that all heals could have their cooldowns reduced in trade of scaling only from either FAI, WIL or GUI, depending on the type of heal it is. That's a much more better way to balance it.

I actually like this, healing can be a consistent effort instead of something you throw in between, it makes dedicated healers feel good while culling down the damage off-healers can be able to dish out when needing to heal as well.

Reducing the cooldowns drastically while lowering the output also helps in 1v1s where healing becomes inefficient in momentum trades usually.
I'm not sure I like that to be honest, having the option to heal with different casting tools is not a big deal imo. Your heals are still gonna be meh if you have no light atk. Instead I think it'd be better to nerf the SWA scaling of the heals. To something like 50%
The problem with that is that lowering the SWA scaling makes it so the supposedly healer classes will need to now further bass boost their SWA to compensate, or it will just be a direct nerf to most heals without compensation.

An adjustment to how it scales will benefit everyone and perhaps not cause things to change.

Many things in SL2 can be given the leeway of build freedom, but healing is and has always been a sore spot for many. It was cool when it didn't have cooldowns, since dedicated healers could spend their momentum on that and feel like they're helping, rather than 'do this once, significantly, and be a battle changer'.

Which is why I tend to like how Staff of Mending works with Elves. It allows them to invest all of their turn in constantly healing someone. Good callback to the past.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
My thoughts are that simply every heals power should be nerfed so that at best and heavy investment you attain 100 hp healed back but in exchange you can keep freely pushing them out so if you wanna support heal, your sole purpose is that until your fp is dry. Or you die.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
(12-29-2023, 11:43 PM)Snake Wrote: The problem with that is that lowering the SWA scaling makes it so the supposedly healer classes will need to now further bass boost their SWA to compensate, or it will just be a direct nerf to most heals without compensation.
A direct nerf to most heals without compensation is what we need tho  Big Grin