Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invention Application - Bluing (or korvava equilevalent)
Inspiration for the invention. What made your character come up with this idea?
Daralam was doing his usual stuff in factory and noticed there was task on coming up more cost effective way to prevent/reduce rusting. Due being researcher in this factory, he started experimenting with different alchemical solutions and procedures to come up with better way to hold off rust.

How the invention works. What does it do, how does it do it, what are its limitations?
What does it do?: In real life, "bluing" is process that has some evidence being used from medieval times though it is claimed that the process may have been done accidentally by some skilled smiths. It was more commonly used for early fire arms and basically coats the metal parts in "black oxcide" by submerging it into specific salts at high temperatures. Specific mixtures also can be used to give the coated item more decorative coating if its desired.

How does it do it: while the coating is a form of rusting, it doesn't spread due the lack of the salts that were originally used to make it are absent after process. This coating then prevents oxygen and water from damaging the metal below it, thus causing it to be protected from rusting.

Limitations: Due the process requiring the object of proofing to be submerged into the mixture of salts and water and boiled, it can technically only be used for smaller parts and only done in facilities that have the necessary tools. The coating itself isn't the strongest thing when it comes to physical strain and would break if handled wrong, thus making it unusable for anything that experiences regular abuse (armors, weapons...)

Due lack of modern understanding, this would also be limited to specific compounds those happened to work during testing and further experimentation would be needed to understand exact cause of "why does this work" in character.
Existing technology. What within the established lore supports the invention existing as you have described?
In real life? Yes. In Korvava? There has been prior usage of alchemy and such to give similar effects (material changing kits are a loose example) and this is adaptation of it

Development time. How long have you been working on this IC? Do you have logs or screenshots supporting your claim?
Few irl days, no IC logs are available atm due me accidentally deleting wrong folder when cleaning my files. There is notify on discord about Daralam taking the job on fifth of january 2024, channel being Meiaquar "Research and dev reports". If it is required, I can recreate the screenshots of the rp I have done for the experiments.

Creator: Daralam Altranest with assistance of Meiaquar Research and Developement facilities, resources and unnamed npc assistants.