Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scravus Thorne - Request for family curse
Applicable BYOND Key - Sawrock
Character Name - Scravus Thorne
Request Type - Character Creation
Request Details -  

I'm requesting for a family curse. The curse would affect the firstborn child as soon as said child's curse-affected parent has died. Visible indicators of the curse are that the affected's sclera are red.

The curse itself is to obey the orders of the wearer of a specific ring, as long as the ring is both worn and touched by the opposite hand, both against bare skin. Due to the size of the ring, shaitans would be unable to wear the ring, but it otherwise would fit most fingers- it strangely never seems to be loose or too tight-fighting in most circumstances.

New orders have priority over old orders, so one could not order "never listen to orders again", as the next order would just trump such. Orders that are impossible to follow (such as "fly by flapping your arms really hard") are ignored, if the afflicted believes the order to be impossible. Long-lasting orders ("kill these roaches in my house and continue to do so for every roach that comes in") will continued to be followed until the orders are deemed impossible by the afflicted (the house is demolished, someone casts an illusion that makes the afflicted think the house is demolished, etc).

The ring would appear to be an ordinary gold ring with miniscule carvings on the inside of said ring. The ring would be Divine-enchanted, in such a way that it is indestructoble. The ring can still be lost, however- thrown into the ocean or otherwise.

As for who would have the ring? Unfortunately, I haven't thought of that yet. If it is required for the approval, I will post an update to this thread with such.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
Seems like cursed evil fun. I trust you not to force this unto anyone who hasn't given OOC consent.

I might even suggest you make it multiple rings so that your immediate concept isn't automatically scrapped when a hero tosses the ring into the volcano.
[Image: tenor.gif]
I had intended for my character themselves to be afflicted by the curse, but if you're approving for me to (with OOC consent) curse people with this curse? That's a much cooler idea. May I ask for clarification on which you are approving?

If you approve for me to have the ability to curse people, I would like to add two additional abilities, if possible. On a previous request, I had Drakesen Wormson have his shadow stolen by a wizard. If this request is approved for the ability to curse, instead of being cursed, I would like to also include the ability (once more, with OOC consent) to steal people's shadows (or trade with them for such, if they are ICly willing). And, to prevent the ring from being thrown into a volcano, the ability to craft rings specific to individuals/their bloodlines- perhaps the rings can only maintain their connection and affect people of whose shadow I have stolen/collected in a book?
That all sounds really cool to me honestly. I think the ability to craft said rings tailored to the cursed individual/s would be a pretty fitting antagonist ability.

I can approve both cursing yourself and/or cursing other people if you can get their consent and work out a neat antagonist dynamic with them, especially with stealing their shadows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes K Peculier's post:
  • Sawrock
After looking over what Kpec approved, I thought it best I clarify some of the powers I understood Scravus to have. I discussed with Kpec through Discord, but now I'm posting them here. I still will not use any of these said powers until Kpec (or another mod) gives their approval here so everyone can see it's been approved. As a note to Kpec, there is some more information than we discussed prior, so my apologies for the length of this request.

Applicable BYOND Key - Sawrock
Character Name - Scravus Thorne
Request Type - Character Creation
Request Details -  The ability to control shadows, the ability to steal and trade shadows, the ability to curse people's shadows, the ability to create rings to give commands to cursed individuals, and the ability to attack with shadows.
Specific Request - In order...

The ability to control shadows: This part is similar to illusion magic to the untrained eye. Scravus can warp and manipulate shadows to change their shape, size, and location. What separates this from illusion magic is that it is not just changing how we view our shadows, but interacting with the conceptual idea of shadows.
For this power, a target is considered something no longer than 100 meters on any side, including what the target supports with its weight. Air (and other gasses) do not count towards weight that are supported by targets. The reason for the length limit is due to Big Ben being 96 meters tall, and if anyone makes that giant clock I want to make them rue the day.
If the shadow of the target is touching the target, it has to have one source of contact remaining. If the target is not touching their shadow, he can move it up to the longest-sided length of the target- for example, for a pole five feet long, he can move the shadow around in a circle quickly, similar to a time dial. If someone were to throw the pole in the air, he could only move the shadow from its original location by a change of five feet, although he could manipulate the shadow's size and shape while it moved along the thrown path.
He cannot change a shadow's opacity with this power alone. He cannot increase a shadow's size by more than one-hundred times the original length and width. Specifically, not both at once; he could make a shadow one-hundred times longer, one-hundred times wider, or ten times longer combined with ten times wider (for the easy math of 10 * 10 = 100). The smallest he can shrink a shadow is one-tenth the original size (by width and length) or to an inch wide and long, whichever is smaller.
This power costs so little focus and requires very little concentration that he could do it while in the middle of combat. On non-sentients, this power automatically succeeds. On sentients, he is completely unable to manipulate their shadow unless he steals their shadow, trades for their shadow, or the target is consciously aware he is using this power and willing to have this power used on them.

The ability to trade and steal shadows: If someone is consciously aware and willing, or simply non-sentient, Scravus can use the prior power to manipulate the target's shadow to remove the shadow, and if control is maintained, to "stick" to another entire target. This bypasses the early restriction of a shadow needing to be close by the shadow's target.
However, unlike the prior power, this requires more concentration- it cannot be done in the thick of battle.
A target can be given as many shadows as Scravus wants it to- for example, he could take the shadows of one-hundred people, and put them on one-hundred pages (with their own page each) in a book. He could also put one-hundred shadows on a single book page, but for organizational purposes, this is considered in poor taste. A sentient unwilling target cannot be given a shadow.
The phrase "trade" here is used for flavor- someone could give up their shadow with nothing in return. Scravus is not magically obligated to give anything if someone gives him their shadow. It is considered bad business to not, however- less people would be willing to trade their shadows if they heard the previous person who tried got nothing for it.

For unwilling targets of the prior two powers: For unwilling targets, or targets that are unaware their shadow is being stolen or manipulated, as a first I will have to get the person's OOC permission. From a more in-universe perspective, those with high Dark Attack and/or Light Attack more easily resist Scravus's attempts. If an attempt fails, Scravus must wait 24 hours before trying on the same target. Even if the target does not have good Dark Attack or Light Attack, the power might just fail from the will of the person alone- not the stat, mind. Shadows are fickle, and one cannot expect to catch a fish every time they cast out their pole.

The ability to curse people's shadows: If Scravus has taken a sentient's shadow, he can curse the shadow. He cannot do this mid-combat. He often will, as per the previous example, store shadows in a book so he can ensure he is cursing the correct shadow (with labels to assist with the general shape of the shadow, although he could do so by memory if he really needed to). Aside from the curses listed in the Hexer class, he can also curse using the curse listed on the first post in this thread. As this specific stronger curse can continue through firstborns, he only needs to keep the shadow of the original bearer of the curse.
Attempting to uncurse someone afflicted by curses put on their shadow will fail; the shadow is the one holding the curse, and thus it is the one needing to be uncursed. One cannot "use the link between a person's shadow and themselves" and trace through their focus and other means in an attempt to do a long-distance uncurse; one must specifically target the shadow one wants to uncurse, and do so on such. This includes targeting one of Scravus's rings; the ring does not hold the curse, so the ring cannot be "uncursed" to free the target of the curse.
Just as one cannot uncurse more than one piece of equipment at a time or remove more than one curse at a time, if someone targets the prior example (Scravus's book filled with shadows, many of which could be cursed) they could not mass-undo all the curses unless they have a GM-approved ability to do so.
Undoing the curses does not free the shadow. If a shadow is connected to a non-sentient, if the non-sentient is destroyed, the shadow is freed. If someone is willingly holding onto the shadow, and they are no longer conscious- whether knocked out, asleep, or otherwise, the shadow is freed. If a target has been exposed to daylight for at least an hour, twenty-three hours after the hour of daylight concludes the shadow is freed. A freed shadow, exposed to direct sunlight, will vanish within two seconds, at which point it can no longer be captured by Scravus and has to be reacquired. A vanished shadow will gradually fade back in over the course of about a month (or, more specifically, the phase of the moon resetting).
In addition, those cursed do not have red sclera. I figured having someone's shadow missing would be indicator enough.

The ability to create rings to give commands to cursed individuals: This is the same as the prior posts, with one detail tacked on: Scravus can make multiple rings for the same person/bloodline.
This is for an OOC perspective. Let's say a new ring did stop the prior ring from working: if someone got one of his rings by trading with him, used it to command a cursed one, but then Scravus made a new ring without the cursed one or the ringbearer knowing OOCly (let's say they didn't see a discord message sent by me until two days later) and they both acted on roleplay that they thought was enforced by the curse? I don't think that would be efficient to handle OOCly- for ease of use, multiple rings can be made, but they take about a week to craft with two hours of work each week, and Scravus can't pre-make rings; someone's shadow has to be cursed first, and then the ring is made to interface with said curse.

The ability to attack with shadows: I want to use the first power (manipulating shadows) to flavor my attacks in combat.

Final Distinctions: Targets who have lost their shadow can still cast shadow on themselves. If they have bangs, for example, it still will cast shadows over their face. This is to prevent someone's nostril from being lit up like a Christmas tree.
Other objects can cast shadows on them. This is to prevent someone from being in a dark cave and being lit up like... a Christmas tree.
The shadow that is hidden is the target's shadow cast on other objects. Everything significant and not-alive that the target supports the weight of is considered part of the target for determining their shadow (someone missing their shadow while holding an umbrella, for example, will have the umbrella's shadow disappear as long as they still hold the umbrella). Almost everything is considered significant; I only included this to prevent people from claiming the layer of dead skin on them isn't technically alive. If the target supports an alive thing that supports a not-alive thing (a person holding an umbrella is held up by a separate person who is missing their shadow, for example) the not-alive thing's shadow does not disappear.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable) - I originally wanted to make a cursed individual that would serve as a sort of obligated-by-curse knight, but due to the prior conversation in this thread I decided being able to curse people is way cooler.
Roleplay & Lore supporting your request - A previous character I've had approved, Drakesen Wormson, has had hid shadow stolen by a wizard. This is that wizard. I do not plan on having Drakesen and Scravus interact, but I thought it would be neat to springboard off of that. Dark magic and curses also exist in-game, and there is magic that is researched, so someone who has mastered the art of dark magic to open up their own field of unique cursing is something I see as possible.
I will be approving the following abilities for this character as described in your last post. 

The abilities affecting other players also require the OOC consent of the affected players to take affect. 

- The ability to control shadows

- The ability to trade and steal shadows

- The ability to curse people's shadows

- The ability to create rings to give commands to cursed individuals

- The ability to attack with shadows

If players want more information on the abilities you may direct them to this thread.
[-] The following 1 user Likes K Peculier's post:
  • Sawrock
I'd like to edit my prior post to add in that direct offensive light magic to the surface of a freed shadow works the same way sunlight does (that is, causing them to vanish and return to the owner over the course of about a month). This would not affect non-freed shadows.