Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Grinding Sucks (Korvara)
Wouldn't this go under suggestions? Either way this game is pretty hard to grind for new players, parties are the way to go in this game.
I didn't put it in suggestions because it's an overarching issue with the design of the game and a problem that's plagued the community for years.

We just want to be able to play the game. The grind loop is only engaging once, for most people.

If more roleplay friendly means to acquire mechanical goals existed I wouldn't be making this thread. For now we all have to slave away in Lava Lake or whatever other dungeon works/isn't crowded until we're 60 and have all the random-drop only loot we need for the setup we want for our characters.

Not everyone is keen to have 'genocides firebloods' on their character's resume. It can work for some characters, of course, but forcing that upon nearly all of them because it's the best means to gather EXP and items is just silly. Do all wraps of poultry and beef only come from looting monster infested dens? Mechanically they do. In character they almost certainly do not.

There needs to be some separation between mechanics and roleplay in a world where the mechanics are so antithetical to making for sensible roleplay, this has become far more of an issue since Korvara's conception due to the 'Always IC' rule. Thus the strange mechanics attempting to intermingle with the logic of IC makes for very strange and meta conversations at times for those who do not attempt to separate the two at all.

If we had more RP friendly means to gather items and EXP, it would not feel as bizarre to refer to what one actually does to reach their mechanical goals as what they really did ICly.
[-] The following 4 users Like Trexmaster's post:
  • Mewni, Miller, Poruku, Skimmy2
Being able to solo dungeons would fix what you're referencing. So having some dungeons like that somewhere in Korvara would help. Think of how you can do that in jrpgs.
(03-05-2024, 12:45 AM)Kiyo Takamine Wrote: Being able to solo dungeons would fix what you're referencing. So having some dungeons like that somewhere in Korvara would help. Think of how you can do that in jrpgs.

An experienced player can solo all content if they desire. That's not the issue in the slightest. Lava Lake is something most people with a dedicated grind build can defeat waves of enemies with two taps of rebias.

The reason why the grind sucks is due to a variety of reasons that were already listed in this thread. But to put a simple summary of my own thoughts?
  1.  Spawns are really slow, absurdly slow even. It takes at bare minimum, 8~16 minutes before a next set of enemies actually starts to spawn.
  2. With this slow spawn rate, we get 3 enemies baseline for every encounter and a fourth if you're using bloodsoaked, this is absurdly slow compared to crazies with more than double that on G6.
  3. Travel Time/Teleport CD makes it so hopping dungeons is an extremely inefficient means of training to circumvent #1
  4. Equipment is absurdly annoying to get, most sources of materials for crafts are limited to chests, breaking down equipment and some can drop from monsters at an excruciatingly low rate. There's no reliable means whatsoever. Not to mention 9 stars have no reliable means of obtaining like treasure maps from G6, making them much rarer than 10 stars.
  5. Partying is actually LESS efficient than going solo unless you have someone using an autoclicker to end their turn and forfeits all loot to you. This is because drops are calculated per mob and then randomly distributed to the party.
  6. Some content just isn't worth doing in the slightest because of the effort involved compared to the reward.
[-] The following 9 users Like Miller's post:
  • Collector, Ham, K Peculier, matthewmwps, Mewni, Rendar, Shujin, Skimmy2, Trexmaster
To add onto this.

There are very few people running the level 80 content (See: The bosses).

It's actually easier to solo some of them (Medis), because the mobs are.. frankly? Just unfair and unfun. Snow Crow is the problem child of the Ice Beast Cavern with a gigantic aoe that reduces your ice resist on a 2 turn c/d (Geisting it as a Boxer just has it do it again right after).

Literally every mob in the Labyrinth is a nightmare. Kerberos protect for one another, and for their allies. Have a, frankly, ridiculous amount of defense AND EVADE ontop of healing more. The more people you bring to fight them. The Mushroom there chunks through Physical/Magical DR, taking it into the negatives if it's allowed to work at all. The Minotaurs are, ontop of all of this, extremely beefy and do a fair amount of damage + KD / Pull you into spores from the mushroom.

The only level 80 dungeon of the Big Three that feels even remotely 'fine' to fight is the Sunken Forest, because the enemies have 800~ HP, don't deal absurd amounts of damage, and know to actually die whenever you smack them. The Minotaurs can take turns to kill a single one of them from a party, and are also mostly crit immune with  about 8% resist all to elements due to the Sanctity mechanics that Everyone Just Loves on Monsters. Not to mention them having 150~ish status resist.

I know that 'partying with folks' can make things easier sometimes, and also gives bonus drop chance (10% per person or so I'm told)... but whenever bosses drop piss poor rewards, gold bars aren't guaranteed (and they are SPLIT amongst the party at random upon winning).. In no world am I really wanting to take other people to fight Relei, Radigal, or Medis because I can just do it my damn self and get better more opportunities for rewards.

This is a glaring problem with the boss loot reward system as a whole. If I run to a boss with my friends and they go 'lets split up. better rewards' at the boss. I'm going to go feral. We're not RPing. We're doing a taxi service around Korvara to go punch the bosses.

This is a glaring problem with LEing magically returning you to level 1 and Now You Have To Work Up Again (I would rather just kill stuff at my level at 60 and get Legend Inks from doing what I would, naturally, do. RP, Go grinding. Etc.)

This is a glaring problem with just.. The game not wanting you to play it with other people.

Edit: Also the boss tag just nearly doubles the HP of mobs when solo vs with a party of 4, ONTOP of there being THREE EXTRA SPAWNS. Which if you're fighting Relei? Can be four snow crows. Which with spawns as they are. End up your entire team losing about 40~80% of their HP before they even get to buff etc.

4 Kerberos vs Medis is actually awful. Like. They all live longer than Medis.
[-] The following 8 users Like Rendar's post:
  • Anhita, Miller, Poruku, Shujin, sirtrex, Skimmy2, Snake, Tana
LaPlace.NET addiction be like.

(but I don't disagree, I kinda miss when we had more endgame goals, even if those were a 'one and done' deal, it was at least something, y'know?)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Snake's post:
  • Skimmy2
A legend ink per quest item in Korvara would sure be nice. 10 Legend Inks vs the 1...

Or. Like. 1 for completing the 'set' in the area. Realistically, I don't mind tooo terribly much.

Or, what someone suggested like over a year ago. Add some monetization and let people pay $10 for like 12 legend inks.

I hate grinding!
Although tempting, because I definitely would buy that, I don't think bringing that kind of payment model into the game would be healthy. Better to make the grind fun instead. Hell, I would pay for a 20$ chaotic key in korvara.
what in the korean mmo
Oh, it's absolutely not a good addition to the game!

More 'free' legend inks would solve a good chunk of the grind...

Or just. Raising every race's base stats by 1 and getting rid of the stat boosters. Teehee.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rendar's post:
  • Tana