Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Tome of Blood
Byond Key: Zerili
Character Name: Wryny
Request Type: Character Ability

Request Details: I wish to expand upon my characters Hemomancy in a unique and interesting way, and I want it to be through an ancient book of wacky rituals for her to find!

The rituals in question would be very utility/ flavor focused, and something my character would learn over the span of what could be OOC months, the idea would be that the Tome is quite powerful, and attempting to read and learn from it is a difficult process, and one that if attempted to be rushed, would have consequences. My ideas for rituals so far are:

- Lineage - Discern the blood relatives of a person through the use of their blood. ( Requires a vial of one's blood) 
Full Ability: Only Discerns the Name and a vague idea of the appearance.

- Eyes of Violence - Sense if blood was recently spilled in an area, along with it's location. (No Component, though takes a minute or few to activate)
Disclaimer: (Area would be around 30ft)

- Snake Blood -  Turn one individual cold blooded for until the next dawn (mostly for uses of resisting heat) ( Requires a vial of blood from a cold blooded species)
Mostly Useful for traversing warm weather and would make one more resistant to flames (not enough to actually give a huge advantage) also makes one more vulnerable to the cold.

- Blood Encryption - Write an encrypted message upon parchment, only those who's blood spills upon the parchment during the ritual are able to see the message ( Components self explanatory)

- Blood Cleanse - A simple ten minute ritual that cleanses the blood of any poisons or venoms within. (Requires a vial of venom, mixed with the patients blood)
(The poison must be carefully created from snake venom for a weaker version of the ritual, or the poison/venom that is afflicting the patient for a more potent cleanse.)

- Blood Hunt - A ritual that gives the user the ability to track the person who's blood is used in the component of the ritual for four hours, sensing the trail through smell. (Requires a tiny tuft of fur from a wolf along with the blood of the person being tracked), tracking ends at the location of which the wound is magically mended (including potions), does not work underwater, generally anything that might impede one's sense of smell would impede it and stop the tracks in place.

All the rituals generally require a couple of minutes to perform, and cannot simply be done on the fly, with a snap of one's fingers.

I would want the Tome to contain more, but that would likely be an application way later down the line.
[-] The following 2 users Like zericosmic's post:
  • Balor, sirtrex
So before we go about deciding on this applications, I've got some questions I wanna confirm with you that I'll bullet point.

Lineage:
Could you describe how this appears to both the user of it, as well as those being under its effects. 
What exactly do you mean by trace their relatives through blood. Are we implying the exact science of it (Where we trace origins over percentages) or is this something more fantasy and forward (You are in fact related to X person from Geladyne!)

Do you know any information regarding the lineages that you've explore through the magic? Or is this guesswork instead based on vague images.

Could you visualize how the ritual would appear as for me? 

Is this purely a Hemomancy thing, no connection to anything Spiritual? 

• Eyes of Violence:
How would this appear to the user of this ability? Would it work akin an acute physiological sense boost? (Sense of smell, sight would pick up on these things better.) Or would it be something more akin to divination?

• Blood Encryption:
This is fine.

• Blood Cleanse:
This is fine. Could shorten it to five.

• Bloodhunt:
Depending on how Eyes of Violence is elaborated. This might just be a bit redundant, or more of something to combine into it. Or something flatout denied. So I'll have to come back to this one.
[-] The following 2 users Like Cogster's post:
  • Maya, sirtrex
• Lineage: Would very much be far more fantasy orientated than just biological, nothing too crazy concrete like percentages or "You are in fact 20% Duyuein :nerd_emoji: ?" but as if drawing the focus that is in the blood to find familiarity, how much is gotten from the information I would like to sort of leave to player discretion but in general one cannot get too much information, mostly imagery.

If I were to make a rough vision of the ritual scene it would be something like

"The room darkens as the caster begins to weave the magic of the tome, as the caster begins to concentrate on a specific connection (Be it Motherly/Fatherly/Etc..) the blood of the subject begins to dissipate, creating a red mist around the caster, foggy images would begin to form through this mist, perhaps only a vague image of the person might be seen, perhaps a banner of their family, or a weapon that was close to them, a whisper of the name of the 'target' could be heard. And after that, the mist slowly begins to dissipate."

• Eyes of Violence: Would be a form of divination, in two ways... Sensing if a form of violence had occurred, specifically violence that would've led to any amount of blood loss and secondly, any blood that would've come from that would be detectable to the caster in a sort of second sense type way, like an itch in the head leading you where to go. The actual sensing part would be a more empathic form of divination, as if one could feel the form of violence having taken place relatively recently, the strength of the feeling would entirely be up to the discretion of the player involved or EM, perhaps one could feel rage and then the heavy sound of a fist hitting someone, or perhaps simply a sharp feeling, and then pain.

• Bloodhunt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rro20bR4jnQ&t=108s

...I didn't actually mean to take the name of the ability from league lmao, but this was what I thought of when I first came up with it.. The idea would be as though the person who's blood would spill would become Prey to hunt, unless they used any form of healing to patch any open wounds (or cauterize them). The difference being that Eyes of Violence is like a stationary sense of something having happened, and perhaps a hint as to what did, Blood hunt is specifically an ability to hunt someone down.

This one is also less of a divination and more of a boost to one's sense of smell, particularly a sharp increase towards the subject, who's blood was spilled.

I can see the potential of this ability being a pain to deal with if I were to "Mr EM did the bad guy who just ran at the -end of the event- leave any blood on my guitar? :nerd_emoji:" and to try to remedy that worry, I wanted to make sure that it would end by simply casting a simple healing spell or drinking a potion, the ability would also be heavily hampered by moving through areas where one's sense of smell would be impeded. Perhaps adding a limitation that a decent amount of blood would be needed (Up to player/EM discretion) because my intention with this is to create situation where someone who wants the scene to lead to someone being found, being found, rather than try to be hound people to force consequences.

Fuck I can't post nerd emojis in these!? Hold on I can fix this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes zericosmic's post:
  • sirtrex
Considering Dev didn’t seem to have any issues with the one thing that needed clarification, I think this app has sat here long enough.

Totally unbiased approval..