Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dodge Based Lupine Subrace? (Canis)
A simple suggestion as mentioned in the title that has spiraled as I've given way too much thought into it...
It might at least be a neat read for whoever cares enough so here it is!

The main idea is a subrace for Lupines that mirrors that of the Felidae in their own neat way!

The word "Lupine" having its roots in Latin, referring to wolves, so maybe this subrace could be called "Canis" or something similar, referring to dogs instead.

It would keeps roots to the Lupine's bias of having very high physical prowess but focus on the complete other side of physicality being SKI and CEL rather than STR and DEF.
Sacrificing their usual power and sturdiness for agility and accuracy, yet still keeping to the physical powerhouse motif.

They'd have a trait similar to Grimalkins called "Canis Instinct" which changes their instincts from the usual to something else.

Felidae vs. Grimalkin (for reference):
  • Felidae Instincts - The Felidae are fast and when they feel like they're in danger, they get faster.
    In battle, while at 50% HP or less, they gain a bonus to SKI, CEL, LUC, and GUI equal to 1 + 10% of your Scaled SAN.
    At 25% HP or less, the bonus is doubled.

• Felidae - ...they gain a bonus to SKI, CEL, LUC, and GUI equal to 1 + 10% of your Scaled SAN.

• Grimalkin ...they gain a bonus to SKI, CEL, WIL, and RES equal to 1 + 10% of your Scaled SAN.
Lupine vs. Canis:
  •  Lupine Instincts - Lupines do not go down without a fight.
    In battle, while at 50% HP or less, they gain a bonus to STR, WIL, DEF, and RES equal to 1 + 10% of your Scaled SAN.
    At 25% HP or less, the bonus is doubled.

• Lupine - ...they gain a bonus to STR, WIL, DEF, and RES equal to 1 + 10% of your Scaled SAN.

• Canis ...they gain a bonus to STR, WIL, SKI, and CEL equal to 1 + 10% of your Scaled SAN.
Obviously the stats that are switched can likely be something more fitting.
My thought process is that in the metagame, Felidae/Grimalkin get keep SKI and CEL which are two highly valuable offensive and defense stats in their line-up.
Meanwhile "Grimalkin Instincts" changes their last two stats to simply be more in line with lore thematic is still quite strong as WIL and RES is a useful tool to a "proper" Grimalkin.

Lupines having STR and WIL aren't quite nearly as competitive stats (especially considering the Lupine's 1 base WIL) so changing DEF and RES to something like...
SKI and CEL, for Canis is something I feel like wouldn't disrupt the balance all too much as they give up their much of their mid-fight guaranteed tankiness for more or less, slightly better RNG.

I'd also opt for SKI and GUI if the (STR, WIL + SKI, CEL) combo is too much of an issue as it does step on Felidae's toes a bit I'll admit.
It'd go for making this subrace much more of a desperate berserker type rather than the normal Lupine's defensive turtle type of instincts.

This is also definitely not a cry for help in trying to build a competent dodge Lupine that isn't incredibly reliant on Spellthief.

Other trait ideas just meant for fun and not actually meant for real consideration at this point in time:

Dog Eat Dog World
- Do more damage to fellow Lupines/Canis (and take more damage from them(?)). (An exceedingly rare happenstance in the first place...)
- Alt. Do more damage to Kaelensia/Beasts (and take more damage from them(?)). (A much more useful version but still a rare occurence.)

or...

- Something similar to the existing "Competitive" trait but only if you are in a party with other Lupines/Canis (or other Kael/Beasts).
  (Maybe something a bit better than 10% Status Res however as this is much more restrictive.)

Lone Wolf
- Opposite of the existing pack traits, you'd gain some sort of small benefit from being the only Lupine/Canis in the party.

Puppy Eyes
- Allows Lupines/Canis do their own version of "Play Cute" or something similar enough to inflict Charm.

Man's Best Friend
- Not sure what it'd do other than maybe synergize with humans in some way. I just thought it would be funny.

TL;DR:

"Dog" lupine subrace based on offense rather than defense (SKI/CEL rather than STR/DEF/RES).

If you made it here to the end, thanks for the read! If you think its a good idea be sure to leave your support and own ideas!
[Image: TvQhtZb.gif]
[-] The following 4 users Like TheCommonNoob's post:
  • Fern, Ham, Miller, Snake
I feel like the CEL alternative to lupine is felidae lol, personally I don't think this is needed. Just give them the low cel races a tiny bit more base cel so they have a chance
(02-23-2024, 02:50 AM)Poruku Wrote: I feel like the CEL alternative to lupine is felidae lol, personally I don't think this is needed. Just give them the low cel races a tiny bit more base cel so they have a chance

That's not quite the point of this... I mean I guess if you're a sicko you could use a wolf/dog eared character for a Felidae but that's in bad taste in my opinion.

Instincts also play a big factor in your choice, which I admitted the first idea did step on toes a bit which is why I offered the STR, WIL + SKI, GUI combo as an alternative.

Slapping CEL on a race and calling it a day is also not really the grandest of ideas as all of them (with maybe an outlier or two) consistently abide by having 40 base stat points.
[Image: TvQhtZb.gif]
The assets are there so I don't see why not honestly, one of the core issues with evade is that you do actually need a high base Celerity stat to get the most out of it, where as tank stats can be put at 45/45 and then you can call it a day.

Plus you'd have a subrace for nearly every Kaelensian at this point except for Leporidae.
Dog Lupine would be nice. It's less a matter of need, and more a matter of want in the end. Racial variety and stuff.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]