Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Coastal Squall
Coastal Squall is a stand out Tome amongst it's contemporaries with having 120% stat scaling, 15 base power, and 85% hit. Ontop of this, it also gives a +20% Power boost to all Sylphid and Aquarian spells (Wind/Ice/Water spells), with a bonus for if you can somehow manage to get a hurricane.

The closest thing we have in comparison to it are the 8 star fan tomes, which are notably worse in every single way.

120% scaling, 2 power, 85% hit-- and a whopping 10% to two elements (nature/wind, ice/water/earth, fire/wind). It's closest contemporary is the Desert Wind, which is Wind/Earth with the same bonuses, but notably it's scaling is 40% wil/def/cel (stats that, generally do not mesh well).

The Coastal Squall gets 40% WIL/SKI/VIT, stats that help both on survivability, hit, and general effectiveness for a mage. Ontop of all of this, it boosts SWA when casting spells by 20%. So 142 SWA becomes 170 SWA for those scales. Spells which, already, get elemental attack stacked on top.

I'm not asking for much in regards to the Squall. I've a few ideas.

A ) It's scaling needs to be knocked back by 10~20%.

B) It's vit OR ski scaling needs to be swapped with WIND scaling (It does not have any cel scaling, despite being a wind tome)

C) It's effects need to be modernized to what other 10 star tomes/weapons are giving. Balrog (110% scaling, partial WIL/SKI/STR), another 10*, gives +10 Fire attack, with a 2 power increase over the Squall.  Having the Squall give +10 WIND/ICE/WATER attack would still put it as a fantastic tome, if somewhat overbearing (+5 would also be fine)

D) Smack Indignant Idol to not reduce Elemental Resists into the negatives. This is frankly probably a different gripe but man do I hate this item being BiS for anyone that wants to do damage as a spellcaster.

Small Edit: Pure Power (from Evoker)'s bonus power (+10 per slot) is actually factored into SWA! Which means that the +20% Power actually. You know. Is +24 there.
leave it alone bro its the one good tome in the game ;w;
[-] The following 4 users Like Maya's post:
  • Blissey, GameGirlColour, matthewmwps, Rendar
(02-29-2024, 12:09 AM)Maya Wrote: leave it alone bro its the one good tome in the game ;w;

Okay, but-- and hear me out.

Other tomes could be made better as well alongside this change.
There's better tomes, but most of them are kind of locked on G6.

I don't think we need to nerf Coastal when it's borderline just a stat-stick tome for those not building those elements.

Also, I like that it's very comparable to how strong the Winged Serpent is. I like that the Boss 10*s are on par with what they come from.
[-] The following 3 users Like Cogster's post:
  • Balor, Blissey, Mewni
I don't know if this is it chief. Mayhaps this is a hot take but tomes feel on the low end of weapons, second only to bows. There are almost no 'good' options here besides this weapon and even then it's VERY hard to pick a tome over a simple elemental staff. Let tomes have SOMETHING, considering every other weapon gets their own 'broken' thing.

The only suggestion you have i slightly agree with is a lowered stat scaling. Cel scaling won't make the issue any better since wind mages gouge cel to heck. Modernising a weapon based on another which is different in purpose and use seems silly, especially when neglecting a material difference and the fact Balrog has a secondary effect ontop of the fire attack. And Indignant Idol is just a totally unrelated tangent (which all I'll say is, 'best in slot' doesn't mean it should be nerfed. Unless we want to go down the rabbit hole of bodyguard and lifesaving charm).
[-] The following 7 users Like matthewmwps's post:
  • Balor, Blissey, GameGirlColour, Maya, Mewni, Rendar, SleazeAndSlander
why u gotta come for all our mage wigs u know how hard it is to get this dang tome I'm crying like Tyra just yelled at me

But a 10% decreased might be okay? I'm on the fence on that, everything else I don't feel would work.
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
[-] The following 2 users Like Blissey's post:
  • Balor, Rendar
I mean if you just give it elemental attacks instead its going to be a better version of Aquaphobia, I don't think the tome itself is too powerful compared to the others except in 1 department, and that it has 90% base accuracy instead of 85%, now that tomes have hit parts, this little tidbit is no longer needed to give tomes any edge.

But even then, Balrog gives it a run for it's money in almost all regards except one of the most convenient scalings in the game, in my honest opinion? This doesn't really need to happen right now, and if this tome does get hit anywhere? Just dropping it 5 accuracy is completely called for, and nothing else. If you're gonna target any tomes later on, it'd be this and Balrog which are clearly overtuned compared to other tomes.

But again, I don't really care for it right now, tomes just got their weapon parts, they can exist in the limelight for quite a few more months. Obviously saying they're not the best tomes is a little disingenuous or misguided (Cause statistically, they are, you can't deny that), but really it doesn't matter right now, tomes are only a fraction the reasons why magic can be so powerful. Let tome users have a bit of fun for a bit.
[-] The following 2 users Like Autumn's post:
  • Rendar, Snake