Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgama and Spirits
It feels silly to me that Amalgama, which function heavily off of having 5/5 spirits start the game having none and need to drop a nigh mandatory 4 talent points into Spiritualism to utilize their big racial skill, and pay a trait in order to access what should be innate to their race to begin with. Not to mention all the time spent running around grabbing spirits they'd actually want.

Thus I propose a few suggestions:

1. Spirit Shell should be inherent to Amalgama rather than a trait to be bought. Just make it a racial of theirs instead of a trait. Not losing spirits should be something given for free to a race that requires them to function fully.

2. Amalgama should inherently have a possession cap of 5 and be able to perceive spirits. It's a fair few talent points saved though it's something that should be inherent to a race that is intrinsically linked to spirits. I'd argue the same for Reaper/Apertaurus at least being able to perceive naturally if not also a bonus to exorcism/release.

3. Amalgamas should be able to select white/black spirits to begin the game with. They'd be +1 HP/FP / +3% damage to give at least some reason to try gambling post creation for those so inclined.

2 and 3 might be iffy with 3 requiring some finagling to deal with white spirits but it'd be nice to alleviate the need to go running around for spirits as part of character creation for Amalgama, at least, who crutch so heavily upon them as a race.

1 I feel is pretty reasonable. Even going by the description of the trait it's something Amalgama just have already yet it's locked behind a trait for some reason. If nothing else please give us at least that much.......
[-] The following 3 users Like Trexmaster's post:
  • Senna, Toffee, zericosmic
This is a real and true post. Investing in this!

Fr though, with the changes added to spirit entertainer, amalgama getting some extra bonuses would be greatly appreciated.
[Image: chad-mewing.gif]
I think Spirit Shell should make you able to have +2 additional spirits.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(03-08-2024, 01:47 PM)Snake Wrote: I think Spirit Shell should make you able to have +2 additional spirits.

This makes Attune Grudge absurdly strong, I'd rather adjust that first before potentially granting them more spirit slots (which only further increases the RNG aspect of Attune Grudge), you can say all you want about Amalgama's gimmicks, most of them are pretty bad and don't warrant the health cost, but Attune Grudge is so powerful it might even be one of the strongest racials in perfect conditions, and that's mostly because spiriting has no downside so a good 50-70% of characters do it unabashedly, thats just a consequence of the current system.

Amalgama do not feel very good to play on a mechanical level and do need something else eventually, but I still continue playing mine cause of their IC mostly.
As someone who played amalgama many times, I've never once thought this was an issue. It only costs 1 trait point and 5 talent points, which is basically nothing unless you're doing master of weapon arts or something... This isn't even an amalgama buff, I would be pretty sad to get this instead of a proper buff to QoL. White spirits are a bit annoying to get but... You only need to do it once! And all you need is a white spirit mass and a fruit of forgetfulness to get everything you're looking for. Black spirits though... God have mercy on your soul. Those definitely need a change, but not an amalgama-specific one.

The fruit grind is a far more egregious problem.
Amalgama have easily become one of my favorite races in the game. But it is certainly a pain to set them up.

I am not going to say much, but some QoL options with racials, would also be what I prefer. Even if its just pie versions of their respec fruit that reroll specific traits.
While getting some determinism in the racials of Amalgacha would be nice I feel like it's far less of an ask to have the spirit grind be eased up.

White spirits are no problem at all, yes, it's primarily black spirits that can be problematic to get what you want out of as they lack a deterministic option like white spirits do. It just feels like a silly grind to need to do post char creation as an Amalgama when it's something that should've been a part of them from the get-go.

Not to mention creating more determinism in the Amalgacha would vastly skew the balance of the race if everyone could pick up fire resist wind weakness attune grudge mared jorg poison resist silence weakness without too many rolls needed.

I'd accept having a steeper price to pay to lock in or reroll only certain parts (as if amalgama wasn't already a massive murai sink for its rerolls).

Like I said, if nothing else, just having Spirt Shell be innate to Amalgama rather than a trait would be nice, though it might end up being a whole overhaul rather than tiny changes like that before we see anything else altered about the race again.