Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Destiny
Entering into a Destiny class, or Undestinying...

Should not cost a legend ink.

Going from non-destiny to Destiny means you're level 35 out of 50 in the classes.

And undestinying immediately puts you to 35 out of 35.

This is a newbie trap, and has been since it was added to the tutorial. People already HAVE to grind to get back from level 35 in their class to 50.
I wouldn't say that Destiny is a "newbie trap," especially when taking it from the tutorial room. Professor Pink very clearly describes how Destiny works, what it does, and that you should only take it if you know what you're doing.

[Image: image.png?ex=6608fa38&is=65f68538&hm=ea9...c4854693b&]
[Image: 7voqr5AA_400x400.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes saikyogroove77's post:
  • Toffee
You'd think so. But there's already a ton of information being thrown at new players, and yeah, not everyone reads every bit of text carefully. There's constantly new players taking destiny, and just that should be reason enough to see there's an issue.

However I think we could dye two birds in one tone by simply making it possible to respec out of destiny without spending an ink. Seriously, wasting an ink on something like that feels really bad, it should probably be an NPC somewhere in the world that charges you money for it. Or in Korvara, an option at the terminal for some cypelle and murai.

Destiny overall is a really restrictive mechanic. The whole point of SL2's class system is being able to switch easily and mix and match different classes. Destiny is a neat way to buff people who only use one base class. But... Why make it so punishing? It's very comparable to normalcy traits. Those things reward you for restricted class picks in a way that allows you to switch in and out of it easily. Sure, there is the technical limitations of destiny being tied to class levels. So instead of a trait, just make it switchable in another way. If that was possible we would see a lot more people use destiny and enjoy it rather than what's going on right now where it feels like you're trapping yourself.
Its definetely a newbie trap because all these information, even if you read them, mean about nothing to you as a new player. Once you have a little know how its just "Oh yeah, guess should have known". But most people do not even start the game realizing that they can change classes on the fly after character creation. so this is most of the time a "Why wouldn't I pick it?"

I have helped plenty of people over the years who accidentally shifted into it, and its frankly quite annoying. Newbies do not understand the gravitas of those words. Nor if they actually enjoy the pick they made.

Also I guess many don't read, and while thats on them, its still understandable with how much the game throws at you.
The reason I made this thread is because we had, JUST TODAY, a new player fall into the Destiny Trap.

And ask how to go about fixing it. And being told "It'd be easier to just delete and remake your character."
Not gonna lie but people not reading or not understanding that text is not a newbie issue, it's just people who gotta learn how to read
[Image: 7voqr5AA_400x400.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes saikyogroove77's post:
  • Toffee
Just make the warning text bigger. It's fine enough as is but if the warnings aren't in your face enough then there ya go.
[Image: chad-mewing.gif]
From a general player standpoint, un-destinying shouldn't cost an ink though imo. Going into destiny? Sure.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Shujin
It might be their fault in a sense, but I find it pretty unproductive to say they gotta learn to read. Again, the problem is that it keeps happening! Why would you make the warning bigger instead of just removing the trap?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Shujin
Most people can read, the least understand.

And its very fair for new people to not understand systems they have yet to engage with. I do not know what the loss here is, that people attempt to defend. Did anyone ever wake up and say "Damm, I love how I can not Destiny out of my classes!" or "Damm, thank god all those newbies crying for help cause they can't figure out how LEing works, really spiced up my day!"

I think I am a little more personal about this because I actually waste my time helping these people, but for the love of Batman and Robin...I do not see the advantage of having it set up in a way that clearly doesn't work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Shujin's post:
  • Poruku