Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4.67 Average
Upgrading Merchants - Making Korvaran NPCs Worth a Damn
Merchants in Korvara suck. Like, full stop. They only exist to give new characters what they couldn't afford from Pink, crap out blue potions, and sell recipe books. Only the Meiaquar mall and that one Tailor in Geladyne are really particularly useful in terms of their actual stock.

Having merchants sell actually decent items would give new characters monetary goals to work towards and serve as a decent early-game money sink.

- Non-unique merchants sell nation-specific items. For example, a pub-keeper in Meiaquar would sell pizza and noodles, because Meiaquar's based off of Italy, and the Telegradian blacksmith might sell the basic shotgun because farmers love their boomsticks. The Geladynian smith might sell greatweapons or the metal gauntlets, being the military country.

- Unique merchants actually have unique inventory. For example, the Maid Café in Fairview sells pastries and pies, being a café. Simit, being an amateur alchemist, might sell regenerative or alchemy ingredients. 

- Hospital buildings have NPCs that can cleanse lauders and sell wound items, like the church in G6.

- All smiths sell the basic Handgun. I'm fairly certain the smiths not selling basic handgun is just an oversight, given Pink sells it.

- The pubs/inns now sell all cooking materials, and sell food that's actually useful - again, based on what would fit the nation thematically. Of course, none would sell the particularly useful food, such as sushi, fugu, or salad, as that would make player-cooks obsolete, but they would sell food that has at least semi-decent HP/FP restore so new players don't have to rely on feast tables or the kindness of other players. If merchants on G6 can sell food, they can on Korvara as well.

These are just the improvements to Korvaran merchants I can think of off the top of my head. I think it's kinda bullshit that merchants are so overlooked; I get that Korvara is meant to be "player-driven", but this shouldn't come at the expense of convenience. We don't have player shops on Korvara, it's a lot harder to get the things we want, so we might as well make it the littlest bit easier.
[Image: orDF4cJ.jpg]
[-] The following 3 users Like the REAL Minos Prime's post:
  • K Peculier, Poruku, ThatOneHop
Frankly.

The biggest oversight is that Telegrad just straight up doesn't have the Cosmic Cloth sellable, like every other country.

I guess in turn we get unlimited blue potions but.. Sad
"Mystery Merchant
So. You get out and about a lot, right? You ever meet this... weirdo merchant people talk about? The one that roams from place to place, has some sorta fancy stock of stuff you can't find elsewhere. I'd sure be interested in meeting 'em."

what a tease, that doesn't exist!
Generally I think it be cool if we had more interesting NPCs/Shops around.
I think a roaming npc salesmen would be nice
A roaming NPC salesman would be a cool addition. I do also like the idea of ALL ingredients being sold, because currently we have to pray to get simple ingredients like wraps of poultry, beef, and chocolate in chests... :<
[Image: fcdc982ebf1e89c81a35ebf5b00594000a79e8c2.gif]

Byond Keys: IttyBittyGhostKitty, Kurokonoha, AikoShion, Kassakuro
"Chef why are you so good at fighting?"
"Wraps of poultry and beef come from chests of course, guarded by monsters. To keep my business alive my blade must be as sharp as my cooking skill."

Example asside, Korvara for a place run by players really doesn't allow that as much as you'd think due to grind necessity.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
[-] The following 1 user Likes Raigen.Convict's post:
  • sirtrex
(04-07-2024, 04:56 AM)Raigen.Convict Wrote: "Chef why are you so good at fighting?"
"Wraps of poultry and beef come from chests of course, guarded by monsters. To keep my business alive my blade must be as sharp as my cooking skill."

Example asside, Korvara for a place run by players really doesn't allow that as much as you'd think due to grind necessity.
Maybe we could have some type of animal husbandry?

Allow players to "farm" animals similar to how they do crops. Or have weak farm animal mobs that could be hunted.

That why chefs don't need to be monster hunters to ply their trade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sirtrex's post:
  • Sawrock
Animal husbandry would be awesome af
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • Sawrock
I'd like for there to be actual animals roaming the overworld, that have a higher drop rate of general crafting need goods.

Its certainly one of the aspects that were promised for Korvara and never were delivered upon so far. The only real profession is still "adventurer+" it be cool do have other professions to be actually viable or fun.
Im down. Actual farm creatures you use the capture skill on and can put them in player hosted farms around the world so multiple players can access them. Butchering, Farming materials from and just plain farmer RP. Plus having them be butcherable makes good bandit rp. Or even theft of the animals.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water