Poll: Are you team Caravan or team Boat
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
CARAVAN
62.50%
5 62.50%
BOAT
37.50%
3 37.50%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Korvara Immersive 'Fast' Travel - Carts & Boats
Tired of mass clicking and running across the entire world and getting stuck on random edges and fences? Are you against selling your soul to dubious entities within crystals for suspicious teleports? 

I present all a simple solution, IC and mechanically operated 'vehicles'!

[Image: EYyyrDHWkAMd33S?format=jpg&name=4096x4096]

Similar to how custom battlefields and other constructions are currently being used, a new resource intensive sink project can now be undertaken and added upon!

The base infrastructure

A construction interactable like our beloved cheese pressers and butter churners could be made and 'upgraded' similar to the custom battlefields - The idea in its basest form would be a fast travel 'signpost' which players can interact with as waypoints to travel to other linked fast travel 'interactables' which would then teleport players into a potentially tiny instance where they're on a boat/insides of a caravan/etc and would have to wait for a few minutes depending on tile distance to wherever they're heading towards to. 

GMs/Eventmins can use placeables and props for the vehicle actually being used such as caravan/boats next to the interactable.

The added immersion

To add on a much needed layer or player interaction I believe that these constructions can only be made and owned by guilds (to avoid random trolling) in addition of there needing players to upkeep the travel routes with something as simple as adding on money like asago shopkeepers hogging a spot back in G6 would.

The travel posts would also need to be `manned` by a player piloting or managing off-screen NPCs requiring a minimum physical and mental stamina tax depending how far they go and they would be allowed to decide the fare price for the passengers. 

There will be a minimum IRL time needed to get to a destination but it will be shorter than running across the continent and a maximum time in case the driver falls asleep on the wheel, forever dooming all passengers to eternity.

For added FUN, the operator of the fast travel mode can also delay the arrival time for more RP.

Why it would be good for the game

1. Players can have a bit of trouble with the sense of scale of how `big` Korvara is actually supposed to be lorewise, and stuffing them all into a clown caravan will help everyone appreciate the setting more without the fuss of getting lost or stuck in random hills.

2. Custom travel points for events - Eventmins could have the tools to place a temporary travel point to mass teleport players in an immersive way that is not instant to a map that isn't permanently up on Korvara, plunging many to their doom with ease in style and comfort.

3. Resource sinks - Everyone is too rich and hoard materials like dragons, they must be given opportunity to flex their wealth by being a proud patron of travelling. The fast travel interactable points would require a lot of materials to link and set up in different regions of the world.

My shower thought suggestion of the week, feel free to add on your ideas and thoughts my friends.

"Look master! An Oxcart!"
[Image: tenor.gif]
[-] The following 5 users Like K Peculier's post:
  • Blissey, Fern, Miller, Poruku, sirtrex
Only if the "Instances" that we teleport to, must be left on your own.

Meaning if I am on a boat, because I want to do boat RP, its not auto-kicking me out once arrived. That way it can also be used for Sailor Characters to have some on boat RP.

Not sure if we players should be able to set this up. I think this is one of the rare instances GM's should handle for IC reasons. Just in case, a traveling route is icly made void. Example: Meiaquar thinks Duyueis are stinky, and cancel the travel route!

Otherwise I think that be fine, even if its just for RP reason.
[-] The following 3 users Like Shujin's post:
  • Blissey, K Peculier, Miller
This would be soooooooooo good in so many ways honestly. I think it would massively improve immersion and the world, on top of being a huge quality of life, fun rp, and an opportunity for players to do something in the world. Such a great idea, this is exactly the kind of thing sl2 needs more of in my opinion.

Then add in a %chance of getting attacked by bandits, people would love it.

On a more serious note, my suggestion is to allow players who man the boat/caravan to actually drive it if they're around for it, putting them in the instance, maybe making the trip faster and cheaper. You could actively man a location like when you claim a crafting bench and automatically hop on with travelers
[-] The following 1 user Likes Poruku's post:
  • K Peculier
We should just make another mage's guild or change the crystal fast travel
[Image: 7voqr5AA_400x400.jpg]
This would be great for party leaders. Now everyone can talk on the road versus one person being sacrificial oxen. Small event spaces players can use as Transport RP that double as Murai sinks also sound cool as well. I don't see why we can't have both. Sadly though Meiaquar and the Vale are the only nations that have ports/docks so caravans make the most sense ICly unless the boats are small river vessels.

The fast Travel and Transport RP may need to be separate though. It only takes around 10 min to get from one side of the island to the other. The only exception to this is going from the Ice palace to the bottom of the deepwastes, but that is hardly a common route. Travel RP is nice, but RPing in SL2 usually happens so slow, and walking atm is so fast that the party has crossed the map before anyone has the time to post much more than 5 or 6 messages. This problem is exacerbated if the boats/caravans are faster than walking. The instances should persist as long as the players inside stay in them for Travel RP, but using them should take less time than walking if they just want the fast travel.

Convoys being ambushed via players or ai would be a cool mechanic though. Preferably with the rate of banditry calculated base on length of journey, the terrain being crossed, and IC events would be even cooler.
(04-10-2024, 06:56 AM)saikyogroove77 Wrote: We should just make another mage's guild or change the crystal fast travel
Honestly, yeah. "I wanted to buy a book" or "I wanted to buy a shitload of priest's vestments and then shred them for shiny pieces of metal" isn't good justification for going on a several days long journey across a continent. Just give us a way to ICly justify why town-hopping is so quick like it was in G6.

Make Korvaran mage's guild uninvolved with politics too, so any conflict between nations doesn't bunger up the fast travel. That, or just remove the cooldown on Nema teleports, since every town has a Lvl 10 dungeon on the same map. Either way, it'd give a way to ICly justify town-hopping easily because again, nobody except a professional trader or a collector is going to travel by cart or foot for several days just to buy some neat little doohickey.

Not like supply lines would be bungered and made simple - just like how trade on G6 still involved ships, could just say that whatever teleport method used (be it Nemalyth or a neutral Mage's Guild) can't transport large quantities of goods, just people and whatever they can carry.
[Image: orDF4cJ.jpg]
Man, why would we cater the worldbuilding around some mechanical stuff? Putting instant teleports would ruin Korvara. Caravans would improve the world's feel and immersion, while mage guilds would be weird as hell and remove immersion while also massively reducing the chance of encountering people outside of cities. It would be especially jarring if nations can't even control it. The crystal teleport is already dubious in-character because there's no way in hell every person on korvara can use those. Logically speaking, there's no reason an army couldn't pass through crystals, so we have to just pretend it doesn't exist. Let's not water down korvara even more with teleports... That defeats the whole point of korvara.

If your character wants that book or doohickey badly enough I see no reason why they wouldn't travel by normal means.
(04-12-2024, 06:19 AM)Poruku Wrote: Man, why would we cater the worldbuilding around some mechanical stuff? Putting instant teleports would ruin Korvara. Caravans would improve the world's feel and immersion, while mage guilds would be weird as hell and remove immersion while also massively reducing the chance of encountering people outside of cities. It would be especially jarring if nations can't even control it. The crystal teleport is already dubious in-character because there's no way in hell every person on korvara can use those. Logically speaking, there's no reason an army couldn't pass through crystals, so we have to just pretend it doesn't exist. Let's not water down korvara even more with teleports... That defeats the whole point of korvara.

To play devil's advocate here; all of us value our time and when a majority of players are spending several minutes walking with no RP or engaging mechanics inbetween, it's time wasted. Now repeat this process over and over when you're searching for RP and it builds up overtime. If wasting time is the point of Korvara, I would personally prefer to go against it.

Despite that being said, I'm in full support of the caravan idea but I also can't deny that I'd prefer some means of teleporting that was more common than the one we have; maybe not on the level of mage's guilds from G6, but there surely could be an upgrade to the pre-existing crystal teleport we have. IE: 8 hours to 4 hours.
[-] The following 3 users Like Miller's post:
  • Autumn, Collector, K Peculier
Ehh if we're going functionality over form (IE not wasting player's time generally) you can just decrease the Crystal Teleport cooldown or allow multiple uses similar to the healing terminal upgrades, I think that's a better use of player resources overall as the memory shards already do encourage exploration before the need to fast travel, though I also wish the memory shards and maybe upgrades were account wide for Korvaran characters instead of character specific., and was going to be my suggestion if it wasn't already mentioned.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Autumn's post:
  • Miller
(04-12-2024, 06:19 AM)Poruku Wrote: Man, why would we cater the worldbuilding around some mechanical stuff? Putting instant teleports would ruin Korvara. Caravans would improve the world's feel and immersion, while mage guilds would be weird as hell and remove immersion while also massively reducing the chance of encountering people outside of cities. It would be especially jarring if nations can't even control it. The crystal teleport is already dubious in-character because there's no way in hell every person on korvara can use those. Logically speaking, there's no reason an army couldn't pass through crystals, so we have to just pretend it doesn't exist. Let's not water down korvara even more with teleports... That defeats the whole point of korvara.

If your character wants that book or doohickey badly enough I see no reason why they wouldn't travel by normal means.
In G6, it was explained that the Mage's Guild refused to participate in wars and could not transport large quantities of goods. Nemalyth, being a sentient being, could simply refuse to move armies around, and much like the Mage's Guild, be incapable of moving large caravan-like quantities.

And remember - not everyone in Korvara can even talk to her. Just crazy loons willing to jump into a monster-infested cave and grab a silly rock, and then treck across the continent looking for silly crystals if they want the memory crystals, something the average Korvaran would not be willing to do.
[Image: orDF4cJ.jpg]