Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Korvara] Onnyx - Character Height/Ability Request
Applicable BYOND Key: Twoffee
Character Name: Onnyx
Request Type: Character Height + Ability
Request Details:  I'd like to allow my character a unique ability brought forth by tapping into the powers of their race, combined with illusions, to blend into their environment like a chameleon.
Specific Request: Onnyx is an Umbral standing at a diminutive 3'0" who has the powers of most Umbrals like himself. When under the shade of night, especially under moonlight; Onnyx can appear to be nearly invisible. However, the night is as encompassing as it is fleeting. Though he's learned all of the natural means of stealth and can move as quickly and quietly as is expected; there was something else he was able to unlock. Using a powerful coat of illusory magic to shroud his entire body, he can match his surroundings like a chameleon. He calls this power "Blending." Though adjacent to invisibility, it's imperfect and has notable downsides, besides the standard susceptibility to Isepian magic.

If a shift in the environment proves too quick for him to process (such as being thrown or dashing too quickly) his magic will lag behind that change and reveal his figure through warping colors. Being touched by another person will cause the blend to shimmer for about two seconds, and being struck will break the blend entirely.

When blending, Onnyx burns a great deal of energy. It's a power that should only be used during specific or dire situations when there's energy to spare and it's worth the risk. Only when all normal means of stealth, like the ever-trusty shroud of darkness and creeping through shadows are no longer viable would it be time to pull out the trump card. Otherwise, it's focus wasted.

Onnyx is entirely unable to attack or make hostile moves when blending. It's not an offensive tool, only one made to assist in stealth and evasion. Either when hiding, or when hiding has proven ineffective and escape is necessary. A single void portal could be opened in this state, but the blending would end immediately.

Onnyx himself is extremely susceptible to attack. He's small and quick, but that makes him vulnerable and lacking in any real stopping power. If a fight presents itself, it's in his best interest to trick his way out of it rather than risk himself facing the odds.

If his opponents were to learn about his power, they could try and predict where he'll end up and strike. Isepian magic will also cause the blend to warp when in proximity. Finding a way to trap him would also prove effective since blending can't do anything about his physical presence. He would have to utilize teleportation or void portals to break free, thus revealing his location even if for a moment.

Reason why you are making this request (if applicable): I want to make Onnyx an antagonistic character that has to outsmart the world around him to get what he wants. Oftentimes, it's something simple like stolen food (from OOCly consenting players) or putting doubt in the minds of strangers. I thought the idea of using illusion magic to create a chameleon-like effect would be an interesting way to roleplay the character's unique abilities to compensate for his dwarf stature and frailty.

Roleplay & Lore supporting your request: I'm currently working off of a combination of the Korvara Umbral lore, the skills, the mechanics of Spellthief (& Void Assassin), the ninjutsu talents, and other relevant stealthing items. Umbrals find it easy to blend in with darkness, so this would be a very specific branching-off point that this character would be able to achieve.
[Image: chad-mewing.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toffee's post:
  • CuteRedCrab
Consider this approved!

Go scrunkly go!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes CuteRedCrab's post:
  • Toffee