Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Invigoration
This skill is very underwhelming and is a relic of the past where bonus stats weren't affected by diminishing returns. It is also underutilized amongst your options as a Curate because you are spending 3M and 12 FP to give yourself (and allies if you choose to which turns into 4M then) 6 STR/WIL for 3 turns (8 rounds if you max out Prolong). My complaint is not what it currently does but what it should do. I believe that an enchantment skill should have more to offer than just diminished bonus stats, therefore, a simple tune up of adding + Rank (3 power max) spell power to all spells you cast should suffice. A simple addition yet very useful for spellcasters.
[-] The following 2 users Like PantherPrincess's post:
  • Blissey, matthewmwps
turning this into a raw SWA buff sounds fine by me, i haven't been a fan of stat buffs for a while due to the stat soft cap
+5 swa on this bad boy would be super good
+10 SWA and it's good. Any less and it's kind of why
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Skullcatrons's post:
  • Shujin
+10 swa would be busted, my man. You can buff your entire team for 11 rounds with that thing. It needs to be small. And 5 SWA is nothing to scoff at. For comparison, warmongus drums is like 15 swa and lasts 1 round and it's still a decent buff. Of course it also has an offensive component but still. 11 rounds of +10 swa? You're wildin. Look at sharpen. That's a decent buff, 5 rounds, and targets only you. Any higher than maybe 6 swa and it's op
+LV SWA/FP Regeneration, to keep up with the "Invigoration" theme of the skill.

Maximum Rank is 3.
Base LV is 2.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
(04-20-2024, 05:45 PM)Poruku Wrote: +10 swa would be busted, my man. You can buff your entire team for 11 rounds with that thing. It needs to be small. And 5 SWA is nothing to scoff at. For comparison, warmongus drums is like 15 swa and lasts 1 round and it's still a decent buff. Of course it also has an offensive component but still. 11 rounds of +10 swa? You're wildin. Look at sharpen. That's a decent buff, 5 rounds, and targets only you. Any higher than maybe 6 swa and it's op
Not sure in what Universe you live in, but +10 SWA isn't even good. it's okay that you have taken sharpen as example, the only other skill that's hyper-underperforming. Wardrum is as you said also a good attack, AoE no less. 

Math suggests that this kind of buff is just not worth it. Let me give you an example. 
To give value to an action, you need to consider its momentum/other costs versus the use case. A buff for damage, has the simple use case of providing damage. Simple enough. Its the easiest type to put some numbers to.

3m can be used for technically anything else, lets keep it simple and say for an attack and lets lowball that damage to about 150 pre DR/armor or other reductions. I think thats a fairly reasonable and even low amount of damage.

now if you use the 3M to buff your SWA +5 , how many attacks that hit, do you need to make, before you start seeing a net positive? with modifiers, even if we go as high as someone having a 100% damage multiplier we have 10ish raw damage pre all reductions.

Under these conditions heavily in favor pro the buff, we still have a total of 45 Momentum spend, hitting in ideal conditions, to come out a 0, only now the buff starts actually giving a benefit. So Sharpen, never actually gives you a positive damage-wise assuming you crit and hit every time, which will probably not be the case. Invigorate has the luck of atleast lasting longer. But lets be honest, Fights are most of the time damage races, you do not want long-lasting weak buffs, you want burst damage. So many fights do not even last as long as your skill would net a positive (not to mention that a fight will not usually give you 5 turns in which you can use 9momentum each fully to attack. this is a highball)

So for me to not look at my Priest and ask him to please change his role and never play priest again, when he turn one casts Mass+Invig+Quickness, instead of starting a divine shower, Sanctuary or whatever, the buff needs to be meaningful enough to net a positive over those actions. Its barely worth as a downtime option, for so many different skills taking priority for being more useful.

even +10 SWA is not great, but it at least justifies its use somewhat. I'd still be looking at my priest weirdly.

I am genuinely curious how anyone justifies this crap. And before someone says "bUt InViGoRaTe cAn AoE!". So can many other actions they could have used instead. and Burst>slow and steady damage.

Or am I missing something?
Generally, buffs like this are considered due to them being long-lasting and usable while neither party is in attacking range.

Even so, as with most games with HP as a mechanic, only the last point matters. Whether you defeat an enemy exactly or with 200 points of overflow damage doesn't matter.

So you have to consider; is this buff allowing you to hit a threshold where you'd need one less hit to win? Is it enabling new options or changing the flow of battle in any way?

. . . Probably not. Which is why a lot of buffs feel lackluster. They logically do not matter. But for buffs that do matter, they're generally disliked because you can set them up for free at the start of a fight with little the opponent can do to interrupt, and with how explosive fights can be, there's a very good chance the battle is decided soon after engaging.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MegaBlues's post:
  • Shujin
Samba of Strength is +10 SWA (and I think +10 crit) for like 3 rounds with a much smaller AoE range.

Invigoration lasts for-fucking-ever in comparison. +10 SWA for like 9 rounds is really. Really strong when compared to other buffs.
Samba of Strength, without performer, gives you +2str +2ski +10 SWA +10 Critical in a range of 5. for 3 base rounds without instrument effects. +15 crit for 2 attacks with Performer. and whatever duration Performer RNG grants you. I think the range argument is fine but you can boost it with volume up, and in some cases even play the song passively for no momentum cost. It certainly has a bit more than just "+5 swa"

I agree that some buffs, when compared with each other will be seen that way. But which of these buffs are actually used in battle, actively as part of a person's strategy?
Many people agree that Performer is the worst class in the game, because it barely brings any Damage, which leads to the conclusion that even those buffs on themselves are not able to carry the weight of someone else just doing their thing. I do however agree that its probably from a buff standpoint is the closest to Invigorate. I do still think though, it does the job better even if only slightly. The being able to cast it for free option, is really valuable. but then again, who would use that on Samba of strength instead of Dawr of Defense? I think the latter is actually a really good buff now with the recent buffs to it.

so I do not think its the right way to look at it to compare underperforming buffs with one another, but see if we could attach some other interesting things to them other than just raw SWA, as kunai suggests and FP regen would be not bad. Also to play devil's advocate, there are plenty of buffs that are currently in the game that have certainly a stronger buff and usually do something in addition:
Brine Blade(if we talk raw damage, its always way better, assuming basic attacks.)
Ignite Power(40+SWA might be tile based, but its not that hard to set up to fully benefit from it, and is more or less actually free as you set them up by the by.)
Salamander Sword (up to 100 Power, granted only for yourself, but certainly way more potent, with 0 direct momentum costs)
Absolute Death: 0M +10 SWA buff, for a bit of FP costs, plus some extra chip damage in AoE.
All elemental impact Mage Buffs, cast by a mage, will outperform Invigorate many times thanks to the stats+elemental damage, assuming someone uses any form of basic attacks.+points for evoker. Also that one got nerfed alot with the mage changes. With ruler thats however a very great buffer.
Verglas bear stance: (passive easy build up +30 SWA and +30% Crit Damage.)
Titangale: (okay this one has a little more difficult condition but can go anywhere up to 120 SWA buff for 5 rounds. This one I admit is probably not fair to count in)
Blackdrain: Passively +10SWA for stuff you are likely to do anyway, and also reduces enemy SWA
Engineers Flamethrower: +15 power 7 rounds. also grants flamethrower, but no one cares about that part. single target.

There are a couple more, but I argue that a big majority of buff exceed 5SWA for whatever amount of rounds. Most buffs have something going for it, but many of them are actually stronger and cost no momentum at all. I am obviously not trying to say, that these direct buffs should be more powerful than these above. But I think there is nothing wrong with cranking them up a tiny bit.
the only 3 buffs that really play in the same category are "Crack Joints", "Sharpen" and "Invigorate". And I think all of those aren't good when used for 3M (crack joints has a 1M option, making it cool again. and more useable.), and you really just use them if you have literally nothing else to do. My boy sharpen, should just become what it was pre nerf. Invigorate, in my honest opinion, just deserves to be a little better, given it comes from a Buffing archetype.

I do not think personally it be game breaking if it was +10SWA, If anything I just think a raw SWA bonus is just boring, and I personally would think that something next to the SWA bonus, whatever it ends up being, might be cool.

but who knows what Dev is cooking up as the next class for Curate. part of me is hoping its a more dedicated Enchanter/Buffer. lemme cope!