Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guard Adjustment
As it stands, Guard is extremely potent for what it costs momentum wise.

To balance it out, I'd suggest guard give a penalty to evade based on the momentum spent. For example, a 10% Guard would give a 10% evasion penalty. Give some reason to not -always- use guard if you have a shield available.
I agree, because when you try to block an attack, I'd suppose you'd focus more on blocking with your shield than dodging altogether. And I also appreciate how this will barely affect low-dodge characters- they'll have about the same usage of guard as before.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
While it makes sense, guard eats the momentum you'd otherwise use for anything else.....UNLESS IT'S ONE MOMENTUM. And has so many counters on so many classes (Knockdown) that can make you instantly lose the guarding.

Make it a minimum of two momentum to guard and problem solved.
Either make it require a minimum of two momentum to guard, or make guard give 10(M-1) level guard.

Which is a minor nerf to guard overall, but, hey.
I like the original idea of 10% Evade reduction if you use guard. It doesn't even affect high-def characters, who are the ones with low guard.. and are generally e z pickins because you can break guard easy.

Dodgey characters just get high dodge and a 10% DR if they do get hit. It's kinda silly.
Evade doesn't need any nerfing at all, whatsoever, in my opinion.

In fact, I wonder what happened with all of the talk to make it more viable.
I believe my suggestion would eliminate a free 10% DR for anyone that didn't do the same thing twice in a row. Other than that, the downside of guarding is that you already don't do shit and use up the momentum you could have used to dish out damage (Which would work in your favor under even circumstances) or anything else. It would make guarding to be viable only for those that could actualy tank, since your common dodger is squishy so you're very likely better off trying to dodge rather than guard. To add, it's sort of a waste of momentum if a dodger guards and they end up evading, so they only hurt themselves if they guard and manage to evade.

All in all, reduction of evasion looks nice on paper, looks all nice and realistic but systemwise is silly.
Quote: To add, it's sort of a waste of momentum if a dodger guards and they end up evading, so they only hurt themselves if they guard and manage to evade.

It's not a waste when the guarder is able to compensate for two forms of offense-- autohits and hit checks. It's a maneuver that isn't so much a waste than a safety measure. There are always circumstances (not even including team battles) where turtling can work in your favor, especially when you time shenanigans like EI. Gaining up to 70% DR and retaining your full evasion seems much more silly. Either way, the numbers are arbitrary, and with this suggestion, if someone wants to have their 10% DR, they can have it, but it's going to cost them.
It'd make sense from an actual I.C stand point as well anyways. You are guarding (with whatever tool you 'RPly' use) with most of your focus basically upon trying not to get hit as hard by attacks. The amount of time you put into getting ready to intercept and protect against an offensive means you making your stance more solid, or whatever have you. Which I'd imagine would, logically, make it harder for you to dodge based on such a criteria.

All for the idea stated above in the first place!
[Image: PersonalNecessaryArmyworm-size_restricted.gif]
Dyrnwyn, ERUPT, and IGNITE!
I could see Guard giving an Evade penalty equal to its damage reduction percent, since you are focused on protecting yourself rather than evading. I like the idea of giving people a reason to not guard instead of it being the thing you always do with leftover M.