Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point-blank Bow change. Acc => Pow
I got to thinking a bit about pointblank shots. It's kind of hard to miss a pointblank shot if you're aiming right at them. (And you can hit them normally). I realize there are a few balance issues, but could the pointblank penalty instead become a reduction in power instead of accuracy. Like a massive reduction including on-hit damage something like 50-80%?
[Image: b89f62f8ce.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_m7g6clz79C1rpqqpz.gif] I'm also still Batman.
Considering how easy it is to get them away from you, I think this would be an unnecessary change. There's a wide variety of skills that can be used, most of which have neat little effects to them like Warning Shot or Heavy Tackle.
Considering balance issues, I'd say its better the way it is currently. Because it nerfs some of the on-hit status effects if fired point blank as well. Stun of the blowback cannon, buster cannon, etc.
I support this idea, mostly because of:

1. A penalty to power cannot be gimped, unlike a penalty to accuracy.

2. The only real threat from a Bow's on-hit effect is Buster Cannon, and even that's practically useless against low-DEF targets. Blowback's stun effect will not hold up well against proper Status Resistance, either.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
but bows aren't really all that weak at close combat, or hard to aim, Longbows sure good luck using that, but short bows are effective at the 5-10 ft range.

perhaps have bows close range damage based on the modified range of the bow, those with short bodies work at close range, those with normal are 75% damage, long bodies are 50% damage.
i am sure this whole nerf that's being discussed came absent a reason

I can support this with a 60-80% damage reduction, for sum testin'
Pulling shot might need some tweaking or smthn, not sure how it works at 1 range.
Pulling shot doesn't knock down whatsoever if the target cannot be/is not pulled.
As Cara said, it is kind of hard to miss point blank, and the arrow isn't really getting the momentum of velocity for it to make a greater impact from just initial force, so there's no inertia or applied. Moving, Using Blowback Cannon, or Heavy Tackle, should not be required to make Archers a viable combat opponent. Just as easy as it is to get someone away from you, it's equally as easy to get close to them. This is also going to be a problem when another bow related promotion class for Archers comes out that has no ways of knocking back you opponent.

Archers already get dumped on by having one promotion based on bows, being shit unless they get distance from an opponent first, and Spirit Mirror. I personally think it makes more sense to lose power instead of accuracy when you've practically got the arrow touching their skin/clothes.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7340#p7340 Wrote:Ryu-Kazuki » Fri May 22, 2015 7:44 pm[/url]"]As Cara said, it is kind of hard to miss point blank, and the arrow isn't really getting the momentum of velocity for it to make a greater impact from just initial force
-Snip-
Archers already get dumped on by having one promotion based on bows, being shit unless they get distance from an opponent first, and Spirit Mirror. I personally think it makes more sense to lose power instead of accuracy when you've practically got the arrow touching their skin/clothes.

I, on the other hand think as it is now makes perfect sense. We're dealing with a fantasy world in which we are far stronger, faster, smarter, etc. than the normal human being ever could be. The logic isn't that it's hard to miss point blank for a bow, but rather that if your opponent is close, they're preventing you from getting a proper shot in by occupying you. An argument could be made for both cases from a realistic standpoint, that in one case, they're preventing you from drawing enough to get proper power behind the arrow, but in the other they're simply knocking your bow out of the way before you can line up a good shot.

And that's not entirely true. Archers are quite well off given that any and all foes that dare enter one square of the archer easily gets knocked away the one tile they need, often with a great deal of bonus effects like knockdown or fear, which are the two methods accessible for the Arbalest alone. There's plenty other ways to drive them away, so changing the penalty to power from hit chance really doesn't change anything at all in the long run.
Or perhaps we could look at this whole thing whole lot differently.
I don't know how you people, but never have I used or seen used the bows sub attack. It wouldn't be bad for it to be some sort of a bash (or arrow stab if you want)
It'd leave cannon skills untouched, along with snake shot and such and it would still give the desired option to actualy fight with bow in melee range.
With reduced damage by more than 50%, it'd still be better for you to move away and shoot, rather than shoot twice, if you wanted to simply damage your opponent. So the only thing that this would be boosting would be on-hit effects with bows. (Because if anyone is arbalesting, it's very safe to assume that they have a subweapon. Which one would use in melee range scenario anyways)