Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Guard Cap
I made a new Dullahan today, and something hit me. Like a truck.

Soul Rage + Tactician Trait = 10 Momentum
10 Momentum + Guard = 100% Damage reduction.

Yes, you still lose 10% of your hp per turn, but otherwise, you block ALL incoming damage. And there's ways to exploit this, such as biding time for an ailment to kill your enemy, waiting out turns to accumulate Ki/Void Energy/etc, or, the best two: Engineer bots and Youkai. If you can keep your Will low, your max FP won't even be high enough to be a concern with the 5% lost per turn guarding.

I propose capping Guard at 80%. It's a number a LOT of classes can achieve via damage between turns (Duelists via Riposte, Rogues via traps, Mages via Eruption, LB Via Raging Flame, Engineer via Flamethrower's Burn, hexers via Underworld Flame, MGs via Charged Fire Shells, etc, you get the idea) so it won't nerf anything besides Dullahans.

I know a lot of PVPers want Guard's percentage to be lowered, but that would just hurt PVE too much, IMO. Earlier today, I was in a Black Beast party; the only warrior in a group of spellcasters who didn't have fire (Priest/Tactician and Ice Evoker/Verglas.) Naturally, due to how beasts work, I rallied everyone around me and used Protect. Even at reductions of 70%, one of them needed to heal me every turn. We don't need to nerf Guard. This is just to prevent shameless exploitation by a single race whose unique mechanics happen to coincide with the issue.
*loud burp*
Knock them down.

Also, per the norm, this won't be changed unless it becomes big enough of an issue to warrant it. Which I doubt will happen.
I agree with the idea of a cap on how high Guard's damage reduction can go.

Yes, knocking them down is an option, but that's not something you find monsters will do in PvE. It'd also be good for future proofing in case there comes a time where there may be other ways to get Momentum to 10+.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7620#p7620 Wrote:MegaBlues » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:04 am[/url]"]Knock them down.
This. There's also Guard Break, though the only skill that causes it.... well, you would much rather not even trigger Guard Break with it to begin with.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
I really don't know how necessary this is considering that 80% is such a large reduction that you'd be doing next to no damage anyway.
Well, 20% of 400+ (Evoker Nuke) is still nearly 100 damage. A Glykin Priest/LB with Phoenix Eternal Flame, Mercalan Mist, and 70% Guard can still be overwhelmed in PVE.

Still, considering the only two methods of 100% guard are either limited to one specific race and cost HP/FP anyways, or incredibly Luck Based (Redtail Fortune Cookie) You raise a valid point that it's not much of an issue.
*loud burp*
Honestly I don't see the issue of this in PVE. It just means your combats will last for a much longer time if you're using stall tactics with summons/status effects, not to mention that 'keeping your FP low' doesn't work if you're a Summoner, and won't be able to maintain Summons.

Honestly I'd say at worst this is a gimmick, and at best it's an interesting strategy to bring forth in PVP combat that people can't deal with as easily. MegaBlues also correctly pointed out that you can just knock them down or similarly incapacitate them, or use unresistable damage (not sure if that works).