Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow and steady
Sear, Explosion and Ingrain give you a massive advantage if you're slower than your opponent, since they don't get to react to them.

From a logic perspective this makes no sense.
From a balance perspective, having CEL is a liability against these things, and dodge isn't in too great of a spot as it is.

I suggest making these effects trigger at the start of the user's turn, instead of on a new round.
I'd rather see some of the evoker single target attacks (ryemei, libegrande) get brought up to a level where they're actually usable. Right now with all resists equal there's hardly a reason to use anything but sear, magaisendo, or invocations.
No.

(I will explain my opposition when I can get to a keyboard)
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Let's try and keep this one on topic.
Yeah sure. Looks useful.
Okay, I'll keep this short and simple:

From a logic perspective, it makes plenty of sense when one side simply bides their time. It's the element of patience and surprise. It's also illogical for someone to suddenly jump out of the middle of a seared ground and not have their feet burn from the aftermath at all.

From a balance perspective, higher CEL players can Skip. If their opponent is dumb enough to not Skip or doesn't follow up, you also get your next turn right after the round ends. (Only savvy PvP players will usually counteract this; PvE enemies don't even have the chance.)

It's also going to be incredibly hard to make any of those aftereffects matter if people can just waltz out of it no matter what. Slow/Immobilize is already rare enough and then completely useless as-is. How are you going to expect anyone to fall for it? Even the most die-hard, up-front melee setup can just hit and run, even if they had Slow LV 20 and Immobilize at the same time. This isn't exactly Slider; the effects here are not promising a quick and painful death to the wrong targets, just a bit more punishment if they stick around. (Nor should Explosion become completely useless since everyone and their mothers can avoid it forever)

tl;dr This nerf hurts more than it even claims to fix. So no.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7778#p7778 Wrote:Chaos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm[/url]"]Nor should Explosion become completely useless since everyone and their mothers can avoid it forever
It's a huge area of effect. I already see it more often used as a deterrent than anything, and this is coming from one of the few that actually uses it.
Making it trigger when someone steps on it is a way to make it more useful, but that's something for another thread.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7778#p7778 Wrote:Chaos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm[/url]"]From a logic perspective, it makes plenty of sense when one side simply bides their time. It's the element of patience and surprise.
There's a big difference between 'simply biding your time' and 'being so much slower than someone they can still outpace you with Tekagen'.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7778#p7778 Wrote:Chaos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm[/url]"]It's also illogical for someone to suddenly jump out of the middle of a seared ground and not have their feet burn from the aftermath at all.
Yes, this is why Sear does the majority of damage when you use it. Is it more logical that a slow, fully armored knight can walk out of it sooner than the fastest rogue in all the lands?

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=7778#p7778 Wrote:Chaos » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:08 pm[/url]"]It's also going to be incredibly hard to make any of those aftereffects matter if people can just waltz out of it no matter what.
This is how it already is for fast characters. You are currently actively penalized for being faster than your opponent in these cases.

If you think that makes sense from any perspective whatsoever, I'm afraid I don't know what to say.
It honestly seems like you're disagreeing for the sake of it, like a certain He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named used to do.
I don't agree with this, nor see that the abilities such as Sear and Ingrain need a buff like this.
[Image: rsz_c1ccb08eb04837ddc6b315f834f7f11a.png]
Since my first post managed to go completely off topic, I thought I'd post again. I disagree with this change. There's no doubt that this is inconsistent with the general 'higher stats are better' principle. However, going second is already a massive disadvantage. You open yourself up to being silenced, knocked down, stunned, straight up killed, or on the losing side of a charge mind race before you even get to act. I don't believe making cel an even more valuable stat, and making going second even more of a detriment, is a good idea. Regardless of how silly it seems to have advantages for being slow.