Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Not-so-vorpal Strike!
Vorpal strikes are adding defense to your damage after the critical hit modifiers. Tested on a 50 DEF character:

Critical Hit! [REDACTED] attacks [REDACTED] with Coral Vorpal Fang and hits them!
[REDACTED] takes 112 Pierce damage.

Vorpal Strike! [REDACTED] attacks [REDACTED] with Coral Vorpal Fang and hits them!
[REDACTED] takes 154 Pierce damage.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
yep this has always been the dealio
Yes, this is how Vorpal works in reality. I don't see what issues it causes in this case.
You're more likely to do less damage to a tank on a vorpal strike compared to somebody with no defense. Which means you're still dealing with their defense and that's not exactly ignoring it in my opinion, but, alright.

For the record, the vorpal strike is doing 42 extra damage instead of 50. There wasn't any resistances or skills that would reduce it.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Vorpal does appear to be doing slightly less damage than just their defense, after some testing.

However, what exactly is the point of the enchantment if it's still terrible against tanks? With a Void Assassin with 63 strength, I can critically hit my tank for 22 or vorpal for 86, and that's assuming they don't invoke the black wind. Currently you will almost NEVER see this enchantment on any weapon but multi-hit guns, since 'ignore defense' means 'add it to the damage afterward'. For an enchant that's meant to ignore defense, having its only use be on weapons that ignore defense seems a bit...Silly, especially given that it's one of the two rare enchantments you have to buy with Legend Ink.

So I suppose I'm just wondering, what is this enchant supposed to accomplish? Because outside of guns, 10% chance to vorpal for an extra 10-60 damage isn't doing much of anything to tanks.
I guess it does make sense that it should also be applicable to critical multiplication so we'll get that a try for a bit.