Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dungeon Generation: One Tile Corridor Hell.
I'm sure a lot of you know exactly what I mean by the title, but, I'll explain in detail.

Fire Altars, Crypts, Whirlpools, Black Doors, and Forests all suffer from this. Forests are less likely due to their wider hallways and lack of doors, but, it -does- happen sometimes, just not nearly as bad as the other dungeons.

I'm talking about this:

[Image: X1dcSGd.gif]

Segments of dungeon that consist entirely of nothing but 1-tile wide corridors, sometime spanning over 30x30 tile areas if not even more, and sometimes there /isn't even anything there/, or like in the above example, happen to be hiding the stairs in one dead end of it. It's much, much more prevalent if the dungeon gets the Giant prefix. I don't think I need to go on about why these are terrible.

As to how to fix it? Just look at the few dungeons that don't suffer this problem. Tunnels, Caverns, Castles, Deserts, and Bandit Dens all generate in a way that this never happens. Sure, there's small hallways, but they never loop into themselves and into other 3x1 repeating hellholes. The latter examples are just wide linear pathways, which are fine, too. Deserts are just big empty boxes, which are ALSO fine.

Some of the dungeons might be better with the more room-based generation (Fire Altars/Crypts) and some might be better off with the more open approach (Whirlpools, Black Doors, Forests). It'd be great if they got their own unique generations in the future, but, I'm just pointing out the issues with how they are now.

So, opinions?
I pretty much never dungeon because it's a horrible maze half the time.
I admit, I do find the tight mazes frustrating at times. No room to really evade monsters and it takes longer to find things like the stairs or boss spawns in static dungeons.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I don't really see the problem. It's a maze. Mazes aren't meant to be trampled over in seconds when you can't see every single part of it at once. It's also completely possible to avoid monsters while in those mazes. If you want a dungeon that's so easy mode that it never has a maze, go into a dungeon type that doesn't create maze rooms.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Having dungeon room generation like the Castles do could alleviate this for Altars (altar rooms, worship rooms, etc), and potentially others, depending on what could be thought up for them, and would be a nice future aesthetic update.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: She left me for WoW?! THIS IS BULLSHIT

Quote:Underwhelmed green-haired girl shouts "BITING EACH OTHER IS NOT A LIZARD SEX THING."
Chaos, the issue isn't that there are mazes.

It's that every dungeon has at least 1-3 in it if it creates them.

It's maze overload.
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=10571#p10571 Wrote:Rendar » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:07 am[/url]"]Chaos, the issue isn't that there are mazes.

It's that every dungeon has at least 1-3 in it if it creates them.

It's maze overload.
1~3 mazes in a dungeon sounds too light to be a pressing issue. Personally, I never see enough mazes in relevant dungeons to get the least bit bothered.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
I've had entire 7+ floor BDPs be nothing but corridors that make the sample in post 1 look generously spacious. Due to limited Line of Sight and moving monsters, it's a nightmare of a core floor - and now with full clear bonuses being a thing, these nightmare mazes can make it super easy to miss a single enemy on the way if you're going for that clear bonus, making you take even longer just scanning every nook and cranny.

Also, in regards to the types of dungeons it happens in, it does happen in Tunnels and Caverns as well.

Long story short, the first few times aren't so bad, but after playing for a bit, it gets old fast, and it gets so bad that I've had parties parties who elected to just quit for the day instead of letting someone else lead so the leader could take a break from the madness,
*loud burp*