Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
History System
As everyone knows, Traits hold a certain cycle known as 'History: X', which are available at the start, a necessary first-pick at level 1, and are limited only by the amount of relevant traits available. That being said, there are a lot of combinations that are left out, and instead of trying to make an unholy 54 new Traits just to make all combinations possible, I propose that all current History Traits become inaccessible and a new, very small system put in their place: the titular History System.

How the system works is simple: Upon character creation or Legend Extension, the user is given access to a new, temporary button on the side. Clicking this button will allow them to chose two stats: The first stat chosen will receive a +10% growth bonus, while the second (which obviously can't be the same stat as the first) receives a +5% growth bonus. Once these selections are made, the button will disappear for the remainder of that character's cycle, so to speak.

Now, to answer potential criticisms of this idea:

Q: BUT CHAOS, THIS WILL PROMOTE MIN-MAXING!
A: The History Traits have promoted min-maxing to begin with. The only change this provides over what we currently have is:
1. Traits are no longer used to provide these growth boosts
2. The possible combinations are fully expanded without requiring dozens of new traits to be implemented
Otherwise it's the exact same premise we've had since the very first Alpha version.

Q: BUT CHAOS, WHAT ABOUT PEOPLE WHO HAVE THE HISTORY TRAITS ALREADY?
A: As stated earlier, the existing History traits will ideally be taken off the available Traits list, but not entirely deleted. New characters and anyone who (inevitably) performs a Legend Extension will smoothly transition to the new system.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Since this is the same I suggested in the "New History traits" thread, that I can´t happen to find right now.

I guess I am all for it.

Even when I personally would probably like it more when there was less random system to begin with.
100% on board. Sometimes you just want a specific set for a build but can't manage it with the existing ones. The simple fact of the matter is that many typical stat spreads you'd see in such a game simply aren't even available.

(Example: We have no proper high str class; we hava a 50% Skill, Will, and Cel, but only 40% Strength, and the majority of strength-reliant classes have 20-30% strength., exceptions being Bonder, Arbalest, and Demon hunter. As such, more 10% Str options would be crucial to making Str-based characters less of a slog to level/play without asking someone else's grindmage for help.)
*loud burp*
So with the min-maxing....people are doing that anyway, with what's available, I don't think much can be done to really stop that because that's just what people are inclined to do with the way SL2 is.

HOWEVER, something like this history system, would open up more possibilities for people. You're totally right that having every possible skill combination as Traits would be insane to pull off. Doing this would allow that extra inch of customization, to allow people to get a better grasp of what they want out of the game.

I find issues with this commonly in my characters, where things will -sort of- line up when picking the starting Trait. It will either end up the inverse of what I'd be looking for (5% of the mains tat and 10% of something that doesn't necessarily fit, in certain cases), or the 5% in some cases will just be a fill-in because nothing lines up appropriately to my classes on both parts.

I see this as a wonderful idea, to allow that extra inch of creative freedom to do whatever you want with SL2, and hopefully push things more in a direction where more builds are viable, since PVP reigns supreme currently.