Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm curious where everyone stands on this.
I think this is what you guys were thinking of.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=12162#p12162 Wrote:Neus » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:01 am[/url]"]SL has always been 'a game that benefits positively from roleplaying' than 'a roleplaying environment that benefits from game elements'.
I don't think it was written in any context regarding the way people RP, and I don't really feel like re-reading that thread to make sure, but there it is.

I think the way people role-play is reflective of the state of the game itself. A lot of people have complained about cliques in the past, but they were necessary even before people started going overboard with silliness. In order to have proper RP on SL2, you need to make sure the people you're RPing with will take it seriously, have the time for it, actually agree with you on how time flows (day per real life day, or go to sleep for 8 hours and be gone for 4 Sigrogana days?), agree with the mechanics the clique is using, and get along well enough with the rest of the group to keep things OOC drama-free. That's a lot of conditions to meet before you get to the part where you can enjoy any time on the game, especially if your group plans on using the combat system over dice rolls (ready, set, GRIND!).

I distanced myself from the game over a month or two ago. Silliness wasn't the reason, but it certainly didn't help. The only reason I still check the forums is because I grew up with SL, so for me it's like looking through the window of an old house I used to live in. Good memories, but most of the things that made them are either gone or warped beyond recognition. Including the players.
[Image: 5a7229cbed.png]
SL2 has been roleplay mandatory since day 1. The above quote is not at all in part of the context of this discussion at all; it was part of a discussion about grinding. SL2 is also a game, not strictly a roleplaying medium, ergo the need for visible and mechanical progression (aka 'grinding'). Without it, people would be more tempted to godmod or make half-hearted villainous characters because they can drop them at the first sign of things going awry and trying again instantly. Game mechanics, ideally, give characters a weakness that the player themself may not have enforced in their roleplay, an unbiased moderator in the form of dice rolls/etc, and so on. Having to 'grind' is a small price to pay and it really isn't that difficult these days unless you're making a million characters.

I dislike seeing meme RP or thinly-veiled characters from other games that are hamfisted into fitting with SL2. It brings down the quality of RP for everyone. If I had more time, I would probably police this more strictly. Mind you, taking inspiration from other mediums for your characters is fine. Everyone does that. Playing a lich that is Sans from Undertale is a little less defensible. I am okay with friends joking around in-game, of course, as long as it doesn't prove a distraction or nuisance for others. However, don't be surprised if overly silly behavior or 'mimic' characters are cracked down on now that we have more people moderating.

I am aware that up until now SL2 hasn't been a very productive environment for serious RP, however, due to the intentionally limited impact of PCs, as well as very little dynamic plots occurring due to my inability to run events and work on the game simultaneously, as well as a lack of ways for GMs to run events/etc (until we got GM tools recently). I'm hoping the addition of the new GMs, along with things they are working with me on in the background, will help provide more opportunities to seek out that sort of roleplay in whatever plot lines they want to push. I am also working on a few systems in the background that I am hoping will make things less 'static', although I think the majority of that effort will have to come from GMs.

Those are more or less my thoughts on the topic.
On the subject of people having the same playby-- I've unknowing had the same playby (and once, even the same picture) as another person. It was never an issue either of us bought up, and I think sometimes it can make for interesting roleplay opportunities. For instance, one I was accosted by the guards, who were looking for the other person using that playby. Fun case of mistaken identity, really.
Someone takes 600 Lightning damage.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...8D4F847A0C
(Skype: Underwater.Dreaming)
Welp, time for my standing on this whole thing, to keep it short and sweet. I don't particularly mind a few jokes here and there icly that somewhat defy logic as long as this logic defyance can be explained in a way it will make sense for the purpose of being comedic relief within the universe. As far as people's roleplay goes, I don't mind what they do, and typically enjoy most people's roleplay. As far as playby's and such goes, I really don't care as long as it follows lore and can happen, even if it's goku, just don't be named Son Goku or some shit. Until further notice this is where I stand.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water