Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extremely healthy fodder
To dumb it all down into the simplest possible form:

Distributing stats in a way similar to how you'd level in the old system is nothing but pain and suffering since you're effectively just gimping yourself; an extra 6 points in defense will make that 50 hit you for a whopping 3 less damage, whereas that same 6 points in an offensive stat will end battles one or more rounds sooner. Unless you pump your intended main stat and capitalize on it (Example: A skill-based duelist spamming R1 Crystal Rose with Vent Petale to mitigate FP costs early on, etc) and basically have 40+ in your main stat by level 10, PVE just becomes a painful boring slog.

While every stat does have ways of being used offensively, which helps this, immensely, sometimes using specific classes just goes against your roleplay. For example, if you want a high HP Vit/San vampire, your early game offensive options are Water Magic (Curate or Summoner) or the Mugendai fan (70% San scaling, light damage.) I'm sure it doesn't take a genius to see why this would not be ideal for a vampire.

To give you an idea of just how silly this optimizing to simply not suffer needlessly can be...

[Image: 8c45d6aaaee3803b522302679f1cabb0.png]

This character is previously LE'd and equipped with a Narcus (22 power) and still takes multiple hits to kill a goblin or black beast of the same level. A level 29 with 57 Scaled Str, a 100% Str scaling weapon, and a 50% weakness bonus. It'd easily take the vast majority of similarly-levelled characters far longer just to wear down that one goblin, as it's unreasonable to assume any random level 30 has dragon swords.
*loud burp*
thats true I was just referring which caste of play styles was the most likely to go from 100% hp to 0 in a round ( I've seen it happen to many a fool who built dodge god)
"Ranylyn" Wrote:This character is previously LE'd and equipped with a Narcus (22 power) and still takes multiple hits to kill a goblin or black beast of the same level. A level 29 with 57 Scaled Str, a 100% Str scaling weapon, and a 50% weakness bonus. It'd easily take the vast majority of similarly-levelled characters far longer just to wear down that one goblin, as it's unreasonable to assume any random level 30 has dragon swords.

Are you complaining about not being able to drop a monster of the same level in one hit? Granted it has a weakness to the damage type you're hitting it with but I can't imagine it takes more than two swings to bring them down, which you can easily accomplish in a single round.

Also, no one's really mentioning what their equipment setup is, nor what traits they have.
My most recent run was a battleaxe using zeran with overall decent guile, 30 guile, high strength, high skill, berserker shell, so they crit quite often in PvE, and did a lot of damage compared to most other melee classes, about anywhere from 100-200 per swing, depending on the monster that was hit, this went at a decent speed but I felt like the monsters overwhelmed me at some points, when there was 3 or 4 around, this made fighting spacials and barghests a living nightmare, almost assured death if they grouped, which they usually do, to the point where I'd avoid encountering them completely.

That's about the only equipment setup I can say I've run lately 1-60, however I have a bit of an idea here.

You know the 'monster hunter' trait? Well I always pick that up on my melee classes when running through, how about increasing it from 15% to 30%, and also making it apply to all damage sources instead of just melee?

Because Melee is comparable to magic now that charge mind doesn't really partially ignore RES anymore, also the monster hunter really helped I find with really high crit damage (more damage equals more amplification!)

I believe this could be a way to get around the issues that come at hand without lowering HP numbers, if that is still asking a bit too much.
To be frank the longer we go without changing this, the less I see a need for it.

As for what Spo said, I'd rather see it increase from 15% -> 20% or for it to be made applicable to both Magic/Melee; not both. . . assuming we're really going to discuss changes within another change thread (I rather not).
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
"Neus" Wrote:Are you complaining about not being able to drop a monster of the same level in one hit? Granted it has a weakness to the damage type you're hitting it with but I can't imagine it takes more than two swings to bring them down, which you can easily accomplish in a single round.

Also, no one's really mentioning what their equipment setup is, nor what traits they have.

I think I failed to adequeately communicate my point. Let me try again.

This character is hilariously over-specialized for beast hunting (Specifically, trying to speed grind to LE again for a destiny, and the most efficient thing I had for that was this narcus) and does well over 2-3x what an average non-min/maxed character would do. This character has a weapon far beyond what would normally be available to a newer character of the same level, hitting for 50% bonus damage because of the weakness, with a powerful gimmick (returning damage + increasing that damage by an additional 50% because fire weaknesses.) It's not an exaggeration to say they deal more than double damage against beasts compared to your average non LE'd non specialized character. And that's what this was about: A character without LEs and good gear under their belt.

So. Imagine doing less than half that; say an 11 power weapon and 30 in your stat it scales on. Beasts gank with Calling, also getting a nice strength boost from their Black Roar. Takes maybe four turns to drop one beast (rounding because of the -30 hit from fear; you're likely to miss on occasion unless you're drowning in hit bonuses) You have maybe 300-500 HP, and, most likely, taking 50-70 per beast depending on defenses, taking an extra hit in the event of a critical, and there's three beasts. Odds of survival: ha.

"Oh, just party up!" Due to the fact that it's a small community, it's not always possible to find people in your level range. And I get that it's an event thing and that they're not supposed to be terribly easy. It's that Goblin-type enemies aren't the most threatening of the bunch and they're the only other enemy type that this character gets that fire damage against. Beasts also aren't the most threatening, but they're at least in the upper echelons.

Now, I personally have no complaints with the way things presently are. But I've seen a lot of "wait wait WHAT" moments, such as a level 17 boss having over 600 HP, and I at least get why people are concerned.
*loud burp*