Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Elemental Shells
So, as far as I can tell, the elemental shells for Magic Gunner are kind of in a weird spot. The Shell Power * 2 unresistable thing is kind of interesting, but it's overall a pretty negligible amount without QUITE a few rounds in your stock or using One Overcharge. Even then, it's just a nice little bonus rather than being actually focused on elemental damage. Not quite worth tagging a weakness except that you're getting the +1M for it. Magic Gunners also have access to a good selection of elements without actually investing any stats as a result. Wound up thinking on it a bit at work, and I thought this might be an interesting change to the way it works currently.

Instead of Shell Power * 2 elemental damage being ADDED to the attack with the respective shell type, how about splitting the damage using Shell Power as a formula? The base idea I'm working with is something like ((Shell Power * 5) + 10)%. In other words, 15%/20%/25% of your gun's damage would be split to the respective element (and use your elemental atk as scaling for that, rather than your gun's) and the rest to your normal bullet damage (85%/80%/75%).

One-Overcharge being used with a Shotgun/Sniper would crank that up to a whopping 50/50 split per attack (at Rank 5 and with all 3 Ranks in a shell, mind), giving elemental one-shots a real punch if you pick your weaknesses properly.

I haven't had terribly long to think over and refine it, but I feel like it encourages investing in the shell elements you'll get the most use out of instead of just buying a point in everything since you're only missing out on 4 damage a shot that way. It also gives magic gunners some use for elemental attack power in something besides Ice. Would really appreciate some feedback from other players though, as understanding this game and its meta is near impossible and I gave up a long time ago.
Interesting, but that might nerf the gun damage overall if they have stacked resistances. Nothing against it though. (+1)
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Yes, this needs to be increased to account for hitting double resistance from Defense and Resistance. Not a lot though. 10-20% overall would be fine IMO.
Please don't lynch me, I'm too young!
This seems like an actual nerf to guns, due to elemental damage being inferior.

I'm against this, especially I see base shell effects as minor until you charge or overcharge.
"MegaBlues" Wrote:This seems like an actual nerf to guns, due to elemental damage being inferior.

I'm against this, especially I see base shell effects as minor until you charge or overcharge.

For overall damage numbers it would be a slight nerf. The point's kind of to make the 'elemental' part of elemental shells more significant and let picking the right shells against an opponent with high weakness REALLY hit 'em where it hurts (compared to meaning an extra 6 damage per shot tops)
They are indeed so weak that the Shell effect is meaningless unless you're throwing a just disgusting amount of rounds like quickdraw and an autopistol both with extended mag and akimbo.
"Joseph Jostar" Wrote:
"MegaBlues" Wrote:This seems like an actual nerf to guns, due to elemental damage being inferior.

For overall damage numbers it would be a slight nerf. The point's kind of to make the 'elemental' part of elemental shells more significant and let picking the right shells against an opponent with high weakness REALLY hit 'em where it hurts (compared to meaning an extra 6 damage per shot tops)

You know how mages are having trouble with being able to use more than an element or two effectively? I'd rather we didn't do that to MG as well. Guns already got nerfed by GR, I don't think they need yet another one before the dust even settles.
The elemental atk scaling part isn't 100% necessary to the suggestion, it's just some thought for making those stats meaningful to a gunner or not. With just the 100% weapon scaling split between the element and the rest of the attack a gun attack would do maybe 20 less damage base (at the very MOST), in return for being far more effective against the elemental weakness.

The non-elemental shells would still use the regular gun scaling only, and Null Shell would probably keep shell power like it is if you want to just have sheer extra damage in your shots.
Basic shell effects don't need to be powerful. They're a boon to multi-shots and, at the end of the day, serve their purpose. Tacking it into elemental ATK will just make all MGs use Celcius because they get high Ice ATK from building SKI.

The stats don't need to be meaningful, to me, in this case.
"Take it for granted. I dare you."

[Image: 142v2wn.png]

[Image: 21b2ouq.png]
I thought the original idea was to take a portion of the damage that would normally apply, cut it off, and apply it as elemental shell effects. Something like 85% physical damage and 35% shell type damage, because double resistance problems would demand it be increased.