Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic, The Suffering
M.TYPE - STANDARD Arena Combatant takes 261 Fire magical damage.
Brightly-armored Hyattr's turn.
M.TYPE - STANDARD Arena Combatant recovered 3 FP.
Brightly-armored Hyattr's turn.
--- ROUND 2 ---
Brightly-armored Hyattr recovered 3 HP.
Brightly-armored Hyattr recovered 7 HP.
Brightly-armored Hyattr recovered 3 FP.
M.TYPE - STANDARD Arena Combatant takes 208 Fire physical damage.
M.TYPE - STANDARD Arena Combatant takes 108 Fire magical damage.
Status Infliction: 143.2 VS Status Resistance: 48.7
M.TYPE - STANDARD Arena Combatant was inflicted with Burn!

--------------

Applicable stats:

Maxed pyromancy tree
Magmic Magical Star, fully upgraded for power
60 STR/64 FIRE ATK
23 WIL
(No further buffs, but that means this can be taken even further)

Spells/skills used:
Charge Mind
Sear
Explosion

-------------

Yeah, this is a bit much. I'm built as a tank and only had to re-arrange my talents and items to hit this level of damage. Sure, you could argue 'stack fire resistance or use a red letter'. The latter is rarely seen nowadays, however. And I could just put on a Nihilist to say farewell to that idea. And the former? Well, unless they're stacking high in DEF, RES and fire resistance and flamewalk enchant, and even then I can still deal 40+ damage/tile in just one turn of set-up. Put on spiked treads? Forced move doesn't care about those, silly. And while one can argue 'Sanctuary', Exgalfa has terrifying damage too. And that's literally only one class that can counter this unless the mage also has magaisendo and galren to destroy the sanctuary.

[strike]Ice is capable of the same with Intensify Cold's Frostbite level, and once again, Forced Move can get around those pesky spiked treads--although with a bit more difficulty.[/strike] This part's been addressed further down.

It's a bit much, either way. These buffs have not only made it veeeery dangerous for non-mages to PvP and play rocket-tag. It's nice to see magic get some love, don't get me wrong!

But uh. Definitely needs some tweaking. What would be some suggestions for this? Is it a simple matter of tweaking numbers, or might there eventually be some easier-to-access resistances and means to mitigate this kind of damage upcoming? Or do you think I'm crazy and don't know what I'm talking about? Any replies are welcome, though, and thanks for reading!

Edit: I'm only pointing out Sear and [strike]Intensify Cold[/strike], in particular. Their set-ups are a bit too easy to do, but admittedly IC's is a bit more difficult.
the sear damage seems normal but what the fuck happened that made explosion trigger damage that many times?
Thats not explosion triggering 3 times thats Sear having cinder tiles now, dealing upwards to 150-200 damage per cinder.
I'd say the problem in this scenario is simply that Sear's Cinder tiles are too strong, they can deal enormous damage when paired with push or pull moves. I'd say try dialing them back to maybe more around 25% of the spell's damage instead of 50%.

As far as I'm aware, Intensify Cold's Frostbite with Ice Sheets isn't nearly as crazy because the value isn't nearly as high (LV 50 + 50% Ice Weakness vs Half the Spell's Damage) and Ice Sheets break when moved on unlike Cinders.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
"Slydria" Wrote:I'd say the problem in this scenario is simply that Sear's Cinder tiles are too strong, they can deal enormous damage when paired with push or pull moves. I'd say try dialing them back to maybe more around 25% of the spell's damage instead of 50%.

As far as I'm aware, Intensify Cold's Frostbite with Ice Sheets isn't nearly as crazy because the value isn't nearly as high (LV 50 + 50% Ice Weakness vs Half the Spell's Damage) and Ice Sheets break when moved on unlike Cinders.

Fair enough. I did admittedly get hit with the combo at 30 RES, low magic armor and no ice resist. This combo is also the most effective with Verglas, which is completely countered by Spiked Treads as far as their KB.
Magic definitely needs a readjustment (at least in some avenues, before someone comments on examples that are otherwise fine), again; I'm not quite sure what to say other than supporting a re-evaluation of these buffs.

Personally I would rather see the numbers on the spell formulas themselves lessened.

[strike]Unless the people who tried so hard to get this current iteration of nuke-mages to stay around, in which case let's jack up the available resistance avenues.[/strike]

EDIT: Although I would prefer to hold off on readjusting magic (as much as it pains me to say) until after all the associated bugs are fixed (assuming there are still some in the immediate woodwork).
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
I figured that Sear was beefed up a little too hard with the Cinders. Setting Cinder LV to about 30% of the damage dealt should level them out perfectly.

"Exxy" Wrote:Magic definitely needs a readjustment (at least in some avenues, before someone comments on examples that are otherwise fine), again; I'm not quite sure what to say other than supporting a re-evaluation of these buffs.

Personally I would rather see the numbers on the spell formulas themselves lessened.

[strike]Unless the people who tried so hard to get this current iteration of nuke-mages to stay around, in which case let's jack up the available resistance avenues.[/strike]

EDIT: Although I would prefer to hold off on readjusting magic (as much as it pains me to say) until after all the associated bugs are fixed (assuming there are still some in the immediate woodwork).
One or two spells being too strong does not warrant an overhaul. They can be dealt with one at a time, anyhow.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Yep, there's only like 2 or 3 spells that are horrifying to deal with, they can be dealt with separately, overall the mage update was pretty damn good.
Okay but, can we just comment about Stone Dragon + Air Pressure.

6 Momentum reliable stun, baby.

Also you can stun yourself.
6 momentum for a stun? I mean. that sounds pretty okay.

Especially considering Stone Dragon's real wonky libergrande aiming and that it requires you to be earth enchanted...

It's basically a weaker/stronger version of Blowback cannon. With the downside that it can just utterly go wrong and you smack yourself with stun games. However yes, uh.. cinder sear was a good idea in theory (because sear tiles were dumb anyways)... but.. this seems to be like... really bad. 108 fire damage per step? Noooo. I'd say 30%. Hell, possibly even 25%. Sear can be augmented with Charge Mind to deal an asston of damage, no reason to make the cinder tiles just insta-gib someone.