Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Revocation
That's actually the entire reason it's a pool and not a threshold (or, essentially the same as it was before GR).

You shouldn't be able to keep up an Invocation through machinegun fire that kills you because the 800 damage you took was split between 20 different hits.
Then incidental damage shouldn't subtract from the pool. The initial cast of Sear should, but the cinder tiles you're Force Moved through should not.
"Esther" Wrote:Then incidental damage shouldn't subtract from the pool. The initial cast of Sear should, but the cinder tiles you're Force Moved through should not.

I don't know about you, but being dragged through fire is sure to break my concentration even a little.
At this point, it's less about the actual sense of concentration and more about balance. This is Balance Fu, after all. I strongly dislike the idea of giving a flat number at which you are guaranteed to always lose your invocation.
I have always been, and always will be, in favor of setting things at actual quantifiable numbers rather than praying to the RNG for things to (not) happen, so I can't support the current Invocation system, and I'm not particularly fond of arbitrary limitations to keep certain tactics in check either, so we're going to have to agree to disagree on your idea.

That being said, it honestly sounds like your problem has more to do with cinder tiles than Invocations.
I second Soapy's opinion; RNG can be a bitch, and it's far easier to strategize around and work within guarantees. Also, I see no reason to give single powerful hits an advantage over a comparable amount of damage that's divided up.

Seriously, just play Front Mission 3 on the PS1 and you will hate RNG forever; you can play the exact same level the exact same way 100 times and blast through it flawlessly just as many times as you get utterly bitchslapped for no other reason than your attacks all hitting the wrong parts of the enemy, while they destroy your weapon or main torso due to never hitting anywhere else. It is literally impossible to fully prepare for bad RNG due to very limited access to repairs to prepare for the next wave of enemies closing in, forcing you to go through the level in one flawless lucky sweep - and you get no more than 4 wanzers per mission compared to the enemy often having like 10+. (And don't even get me started on a bunch of the Fire Emblem games. Percentage based activation chances for skills? Characters spamming their defense-piercing skills against low def enemies while turning around and not using them against high def enemies? Is there ANY reason to not give the player control over that, outside of artificial difficulty? No. No there isn't. That kind of system exists purely to piss the player off, end of story.)

I'm not saying there's no place for RNG; even an expert can slip up and fumble. But in the past, I've had invocations broken off 1 damage when the chance of it breaking was a percentage equal to half of the damage taken. And I've also repeatedly slammed someone for 140+ back then, and had them get the spell off. And that's not cool. The pool to deplete is the most fair method, and is already used by the Winged/Shadow Guardian, so that system is already used in the game! It'd be easy to re-purpose.
*loud burp*
Remember whenever literally killing someone or stunning them didn't break an invocation?

Yeah. Me too.

Invocations should be able to be broken. Some of them are ridiculously OP if they're allowed to go of.