Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monk Fu
Monk needs an retool

Monk was one of the first promo classes released in sl2 and it has some glaring downsides when compared to other martial arts classes.

I'm now going to go over the points I feel need tweeked

Ki's cap- It should be raised...ideally to 50/60 this gives more room to balance effects vs ki costs.

Starting Ki- A passive skill to put SP into that starts you at the beginning of a fight with ki, it could scale 5/10/15/ect cut off at whatever the balancing point should be.

Monk offensive skills- They lack in scalings (which is a staight forward fix ) and synergy
*Setting sun ideas -chance to apply a burn always, Spits out a line of fire and cinders with ki
*Dense thunder and Sky chariot- could use elemental impact.
*Dragons gale- Fine
*Terrastrike- Destroys tile effects within range
*Kadouha- Give it elemental impact to change its Elemental scaling and damage. (flaming hadouken)

Aid http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.p...amp;t=3945

Body of issep-fine

Solar flare- Rework this whole thing, make it a screen disabler, anyone facing you cannot see anything at all for a turn, screen goes white, lengthy cooldown.

Powerup-scale it to match new ki cap

Serpent strikes- this is fine with a higher ki cap for two distinct reasons, Fists have the lowest base crit damage, building crit defense is easier now.

Otherwise Adding new abilities to go along with changes like these would be good...

also highly controversial, but I'd like to see interactions between urawaza and monk skills.
Monk is on my list to take a look at, don't worry.
Gotcha bossman
I've stated multiple times recently that I've had intentions to make a redux that goes in-depth for Monk and would have one put together towards the beginning of December (due to how busy life things seem to be right now). I recall talking to Oracat/Felidae-You-Listen-To (in the Public Discord) that we'd work on making a collaborated effort out of this.

Personally I had a completely different direction than you on where I would like to take the skills and how they interact with Ki. If Neus would allow, I'll throw up a (very) rough draft in the next 2-3 days (if I don't die from work, car dealerships, RP and over-saturation of caffeine).

Edit: For the love of GOD do not make Sun Flare flash a white screen at you. This KILLS hyper-sensitive eyes and is bad for anyone who can suffer attacks from epileptic seizures.

Also, Knuckledusters have amazing crit damage for how trash Fist Weapons usually are outside of Eviter immunity. Not accounting for the increase to the Ki Cap will give you 100+% to crit-if-hits easily if you stack it like I do (in some cases now, and more-so after the Ki Cap increase). It needs at least a slight buffer (in the form of any amount that goes above 10 is added to your Crit Chance, minus that 10, or possibly capping the Crit Chance you get from it at 3/4ths of the NEW Ki Caps so it's not crippling those who keep their Crit Chance lower). I'm not saying it'd be an auto-no but it'd need a trail-by-fire (or punching, rather) to make sure it can stay like that without breaking balance.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
Of course if it's too much crit that'd be apparent pretty fast
Sun Flare could always spawn a diamond of dense tiles around your sight to make you near-sighted. Ayy, viva brainstorming.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
"Exxy" Wrote:Personally I had a completely different direction than you on where I would like to take the skills and how they interact with Ki. If Neus would allow, I'll throw up a (very) rough draft in the next 2-3 days (if I don't die from work, car dealerships, RP and over-saturation of caffeine.

Well, other than dying, I failed to write an in-depth Redux (and I won't post the draft as-is, because I imagine you're part-way into it already-- maybe) but I'll throw a few more points of concern into the mix that I failed to mention in previous posts.

Known Issues and Concerns

* = Attack Scaling for Offensive Skills is split into -many- different types. Strength, Celerity, Skill, Defense and Faith all play into different ones (this is basically a different Skill that dictates part of your damage for every Offensive Skill excluding Dense Thunder). This is probably one of the bigger hindrances to them out of everything and tends to leave them drawing on their Base Class Skills more often than the Promotion (aside from when the effects of Dense Thunder and Terra Strike are applicable).

This along with a poor Utility when you account for what the Skills offer to do (in comparison to their Base Class) leaves Monk in a very bad spot unless you're trying to crit-stack with Basic Attacks or drawing from one or several of the non-Offensives.

* = Many complain about how Ki Management is an issue; while this is true to a degree, I believe the main issue lies in that Monk has little going for it in terms of Ki Costs for Skills (as in not getting bang-for-buck) and no real Main Class Skills (as in compared to other Class Branches, you're better off running one of them as Main currently). So often times, you wind up Sub-Classing Monk in the current Meta (if even using it at all) and miss out on the extra Ki from Spirituality as a result.

This could either be alleviated by removing the Main-Preferred from Spirituality (this would lessen the handicap without solving any of the real issues but is a semi-decent band-aid) or by implementing new Skills that would either be heavily Main-Preferred or Main-Only outside of the ones that fall into (of which, I have no ideas for - sorry). Although with this said, I believe a rework of how Ki works would be a better solution (with the amount you can receive per-Turn and from Power-Up being adjusted or the consumption from the Skills' Ki Triggers being less taxing).

-----

At least, these seem to be the biggest areas to me and I'm aware of others complaining/commenting about these same areas in the recent past (relative to the past 2-3 months). Regardless, here's to hoping it gets a little more love.
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy