Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scaling Derived Stats
"Rendar" Wrote:You know that thing in DND where you have a 5% chance to just utterly fuck up Ranlyn?

Yeah. That's what having a 5% chance to flub up your attack is.

Also, your shitty luck ("I MISS 95% 11 time in a row!&quotWink is no reason for it to not exist. Just sucks that you have shit luck, is all.

True story: That 5% chance to fuck up has killed my entire team. On more than one occasion. Because yes, my luck. Doesn't make it any less utterly infuriating.
*loud burp*
Well sucks ass that that 5% chance killed your entire team.

The same can happen to the enemies though.

#GGWP
"Neus" Wrote:I don't think 1/5 chance to miss even for people who heavily invest in being able to hit something is a great idea.
Be it 1/5, 1/10 or even 1/20, there is no real reason why people who stack up hit should be forced to face a guaranteed chance to miss, especially against people who don't bother with evasion. Same for the other way around; if you don't bother with hit, you shouldn't be able to hit someone who stacks up evade. This is not D&D, after all.

And seriously, evade is nothing more than a deterrent to anything that checks accuracy, much like every other defensive stat in this game deters something (else). It will almost never secure a win on its own, only make victory (a little) more possible by virtue of slowing your opponent's offense down.

This being said, I don't think we really need to have even more stats put through a soft cap. Most of these only seem ridiculous when you consider the extremes. (see: one side heavily invests, while another side doesn't bother) That's not a basis that we should build around, much like we shouldn't center the balance around 1v1s.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
This might be slightly off-topic, but as far as I know:

If you build only for Defense, you'll be vulnerable to magic, which is a fair portion of attacks. If you build Resistance, you'll be vulnerable to physical, which is a fair portion of attacks. If you build Celerity, you'll be vulnerable to anything that doesn't check dodge, which is most PvE monster attacks and most player attacks as well. So the most optimal solution is to build for Defense and Resistance, as things which ignore defenses are either rare or very weak. Things which ignore dodge are very common and often strong, coming with secondary effects to boot.

Dodge could probably use a more percentage-based formula like Physical and Magical DR have right now, but I agree that soft-capping isn't the best solution.
"Chaos" Wrote:
"Neus" Wrote:I don't think 1/5 chance to miss even for people who heavily invest in being able to hit something is a great idea.
Be it 1/5, 1/10 or even 1/20, there is no real reason why people who stack up hit should be forced to face a guaranteed chance to miss, especially against people who don't bother with evasion. Same for the other way around; if you don't bother with hit, you shouldn't be able to hit someone who stacks up evade. This is not D&D, after all.

And seriously, evade is nothing more than a deterrent to anything that checks accuracy, much like every other defensive stat in this game deters something (else). It will almost never secure a win on its own, only make victory (a little) more possible by virtue of slowing your opponent's offense down.

This being said, I don't think we really need to have even more stats put through a soft cap. Most of these only seem ridiculous when you consider the extremes. (see: one side heavily invests, while another side doesn't bother) That's not a basis that we should build around, much like we shouldn't center the balance around 1v1s.

Agreed with all except the "balancing around 1v1s" bit (although the latter may be a bit more of denial, on my end, than anything - even if 4v4 combat is an insane clusterfuck 9 out of 9 times).
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy