Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wretched Oil
Simply put, Wretched Oil is one of the best spells, if not /the/ best offensive spell in the game. The fact that it's capable of outdamaging magaisendo handily (at ranges where magaisendo would receive penalties), and like magaisendo, hits the entire field, and inflicts one of the most damaging status ailments in the game, is what makes it so.

The balancing factors of Wretched Oil would be its FP cost, and slightly reduced scaling compared to most spells--but the former doesn't matter much if the fight is over before FP becomes an issue, which ,if the user is packing enough damage, it probably will be.

My suggestion to balance it out, is to give Wretched Oil range penalties similar to magaisendo, and (maybe) have the penalties apply to the odds of status infliction. Perhaps have it be easier to inflict if done at a closer range?
I disagree with the status infliction, since all the other spells in that category are guaranteed. I do though, however, agree that its damage should be reduced at farther ranges.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
The problem isn't necessarily in the fact that WRETCHED OIL GAME 2 STRONK.

It's the fact that skills that cure poison give zero immunity to the damn status effect. Anti-Toxin's also provide 0 'benefit'. If you spend 3 M to cure the poison they smacked you with, they're still winning.

To effectively 'fix' this, we have a few options.

1. Anti Toxin gives immunity to the status effect for X turns.

2. All skills that cure poison give immunity, making BK/Monk Poison Removal more useful.

3. Cause Anti-Toxins to heal for PoisonLevel*2, IF you are poisoned and cured of it.
I honestly think that the unlimited range of the spell should be removed all together. It makes no sense that it can fly across the entire map as an auto-hit with a status infliction added onto the viable damage that the spell does. Either that or if that's 'too much nerf' then have the status effect chance nonexistent past a certain range along with the damage nerf. IT's stupidly powerful especially when combo'd with it's curse skill.
[Image: latest?cb=20150618145649]
Quote:--- ROUND 0 ---
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth takes 5 Earth damage.
Aletta Ainsworth takes 7 Darkness damage.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth was inflicted with Poison!
Aletta Ainsworth's turn.
--- ROUND 1 ---
Aletta Ainsworth takes 54 Poison damage.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth's turn.
--- ROUND 2 ---
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Devotion! Aletta Ainsworth is protected by something!
Aletta Ainsworth takes 0 Darkness damage.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth's turn.
The only things I can see this spell doing threatening damage to is dodge builds/physical tanks (okay, and PvE, but if you adjust it for PvE then you may kill it in PvP), so nerfing the damage in any way is not the solution. It's not like they can charge mind it, so you will never see it even reach half the damage potential of Magaisendo. The poison is the problem, and I don't believe reducing status infliction rate is a good solution. I actually believe that poison itself does too much damage, and should not be taking 10% HP per round. 5% would be more acceptable, as it's already by far the most crippling status effect. In addition, I also agree with poison cures granting temporary immunity.
[Image: jzdlBPn.png]
Maybe changing it's poisons level to NOT start at you know. level 30. Which is 10% of your HP, or 90 damage, whichever is lower.

level 15 poison drops it to 10% of your HP or 45 damage, whichever is lower. Which, while not 'perfect' does make it way more manageable to people who have above 450 HP. Another step to maybe 'fixing' it would be to apply penalties past a certain range and drop its poison level to 10 past the range at a rate of 1/square.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=4036#p4036 Wrote:Rockabye » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:12 am[/url]"]
Quote:--- ROUND 0 ---
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth's turn.
--- ROUND 1 ---
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth's turn.
--- ROUND 2 ---
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Devotion! Aletta Ainsworth is protected by something!
Aletta Ainsworth takes 0 Darkness damage.
Medea Arvanite's turn.
Aletta Ainsworth's turn.
The only things I can see this spell doing threatening damage to is dodge builds/physical tanks (okay, and PvE, but if you adjust it for PvE then you may kill it in PvP), so nerfing the damage in any way is not the solution. It's not like they can charge mind it, so you will never see it even reach half the damage potential of Magaisendo. The poison is the problem, and I don't believe reducing status infliction rate is a good solution. I actually believe that poison itself does too much damage, and should not be taking 10% HP per round. 5% would be more acceptable, as it's already by far the most crippling status effect. In addition, I also agree with poison cures granting temporary immunity.

What were the stats of the attacker and defender?

If you're just posting damage logs with no information on how much power the spell had and the defenses it went against, it's worthless.
Except that with Poison:

1. Enemies with lower CEL have the chance to get rid of it before it can damage them; all they have to do is keep the Hexer from getting anywhere close (not hard to do with the right tools) to prevent them from getting a Hex in.

2. Even at 10% HP lost per turn, Poison can only kill someone over time or with help. If the enemy is getting constantly healed, the effect is useless. (The whole 'Have low VIT to regen HP lost by poison' thing is still illogical though)

3. Poisoning a Wyverntouched will not only score Resists, but also give them a free buff. Hexers will NEED to Hex them if they want to get any good damage off of the status.

4. It's impossible to poison a Glykin. Wretched Oil becomes a waste of FP at this point.

Really, I would rather just wait until Dev updates the Status Infliction Rate before doing anything further. Maybe the spell could have a penalty to Status Infliction the further away the target is, but giving anyone who cures Poison temporary immunity, or even worse, further nerfing Poison's damage cap will just make the status worthless. (Having Wyverntouched run around and only take about 2% HP damage from Poison is also stupidly broken)
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
"[url=http://www.neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=4038#p4038 Wrote:Trexmaster » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:27 am[/url]"]What were the stats of the attacker and defender?

If you're just posting damage logs with no information on how much power the spell had and the defenses it went against, it's worthless.
At least 47 WIL, I don't remember if I had any boosts on, VS 55 RES. Capped Wretched Oil for +10 damage (so essentially stamp on another +10 WIL). Why did I use someone with such low WIL? Because I tried to find someone better to help test this and nobody volunteered. Regardless, even if we were to toss in the extra 20 or so WIL that most mages have, that won't even amount to an extra 20 damage in total since Wretched Oil doesn't scale off of full WIL and splits between the two damage types. And before someone says "normal people don't have 55 RES," that's because 'normal people' seem to want 55 DEF. "But if I don't have high DEF melee will wreck me." And if you don't have high RES, magic will wreck you. Even Hexer skills.

Essentially, there is nothing wrong with Wretched Oil's damage. Even on someone with lower resistance the damage output of the initial skill use (at least on a single target) tends to be lower than that of a melee attack/skill, and for a much higher cost. The poison damage is what's kicking people's teeth in. I still maintain that reducing poison damage is the best route to take. Either that or having it work like Burn, doing a set amount of damage equal to its level and removing the target's bonus STR. In this case the hex would need to be changed to: Rather than doubling the poison damage, have it remove the target's bonus WIL. This causes it to fall into balance with the Burn and Burn hex, which combined remove bonus DEF/RES, and remedies the ridiculously massive damage that the status and hex cause over time.
[Image: jzdlBPn.png]
Well, next update will have the status infliction rate adjustment. Currently it's more than 100%; it might be more manageable after the update.