Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fan Tomes vs Desert Wind
Recently posted a query about how the fan tomes work, but this is changing into an opinion so I'm making a different topic here.

So, yes. The Fan Tomes have a max power of 10 with Pristine Pages and forging, and a total weapon scaling of 150% across three stats. This means that casting an improper spell will only incur a penalty of -5 power (including the secondary element), and their weapon effect will give approximately +15 power to the spells affected.

The Desert Wind, as a ten star, has a max power of 23, but only has a weapon scaling of 105% across three stats. An improper spell will then subtract -11 power from their spell (including the secondary element), and their UL% effect will give about +24 power to the affected spells.

I think this comparison shows how underpowered the Desert Wind is compared to the regular Tome Fan set, especially as it scales off of WIL, CEL, and DEF, with CEL and DEF being two stats that don't go very well together. I would like to see at least one of the following happen;

*The Desert Wind's scaling increases to 50% WIL, CEL, and DEF (To put the weapon at an equal power to its lower-rarity cousins)
*The Sandstorm effect becomes 3*UL% of occuring (it's 24 Earth Damage to the map, affected by resistances. There's very little reason for it to have the same chance as the Tarnel, which you can try for multiple times in one round)
*The UL% Power to Sylphid/Isespian spells changed to UL% Damage to Sylphid/Isespian spells. (I.E. affected by Evocation, Elemental Attack, additional damage modifiers)
*The weapon counting as a proper casting tool for both Earth and Wind spells (I hate this penalty, but it's most likely here to stay, so let's make dual-type casting fans fulfill their purpose)
I don't think you get how the improper tome casting penalty actually works, its half of your upgraded power, meaning +6 from upgrades and +2 pristine pages to a maximum of 8, meaning you lose 4 damage total, this is what Dev was getting at in the last thread.

I do not actually think Desert Wind deserves any sort of buff or nerf, its lack of scaling is circumvented by the power of its UL effect (24% is a huge number) and due to its diverse scaling, requiring heavy investment into CEL and DEF as well as WIL to make it work makes it more than balanced, buffing this up by any amount would be pretty catastrophic.

On top of this, the power of a desert wind fan is fairly significant, the one I keep on my grimalkin reaches up to 28 power total, it being rustic of course.

To sum it up, I like Desert wind where its at, its UL% bonus is fairly significant and can lead to huge numbers with the rightly invested build, and I don't think that needs to change personally.
What needs a buff here is Sandstorm, to compensate the slightly lower damage granted by this compared to a rebelling 1* tome. Let's not forget this is a 10* item, and Earth Damage is commonly resisted anyway, so. /shrug.

Make Sandstorm's LV be 100% of Scaled Weapon Attack.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I agree, sandstorm itself is underwhelming, perhaps it could be 25% of your wind ATK + 25% of your earth ATK as damage every round, 100% of your scaled weapon attack would be a global 90-100 earth damage each round.
To add, the 24% UL Power only applies to your scaled weapon attack, affected by the casting penalty (from my debug testing anyway). So compared to a rebelling 1* tome or the other fan tomes, the total power, even for the proper spells, is underwhelming.

But if even only the sandstorm changes, making it more powerful and likely to occur is a start.