Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holy Arrow
Holy Arrow seems to be indiscriminately worse than shine ray, a priest spell, and focused beam, a multi-purpose LB spell, which both pull off the same job but with farther range, diagonal targetting and more damage.

So here's an idea, lets put the holy in holy arrow, at rank 5, Holy Arrow will deal 1.5x damage to possessed/vampire/undead races, which is further increased by the talent from Devotion: Divine Sign

The reason I bring this up is because the Holy enchant for weapons vastly overshadows anything that priest itself could hope to do in terms of damage to the occult, thoughts?
I'd like to see its range increased by like 3 + (Rank LV) tiles, while we're at it. It's an arrow, right? It should at least travel far.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I feel that all Line skills should have drastically more range to make up for their strict positioning requirements, so I'd rather see it get the range boost in place of holy damage.
I'd be fine with this, but as Mega said.

Line attacks are very clunky and awkward, and this one can only hit 1 target. I'd be up for it's range to be increased, or due to the stringent nature of it's targeting, make it so that you deal extra damage or something for it.
Holy Arrow costs like 14 FP at max rank. It's not going to do comparable damage to a promoted class spell that costs a lot more.
Just increase the range to 8-9 tiles and call it a day, Dev. The size will probably compensate for how much impact it does (In a non-lewd way). I remember that the only problem with Holy Spark's range was that the skill was an AoE on top of the absurd range.

Holy Arrow is just a basic Shinken with no reach that does magic light damage. So it will be fine with an insane range.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
A range increase would be nice at least, I'd say doubling it from 4 to 8 range would be good.
While I see every side - including Dev's - the fact remains that there currently isn't much of a reason to take Holy Arrow over Kel when the promoted classes have much better holy attacks without the positioning requirements, leaving Kel as the low cost attack of choice. Holy arrow could DEFINITELY use SOME kind of buff to make it comparable to at least Kel, in usefulness against enemies that take neutral damage from both.

At the same time, while I also agree that more range can be useful to compensate for the line targeting, I'm also reminded of how we already have Fairy Lance, and was thinking about ways to make Holy Arrow interesting and different in it's own way. As such, here's a few alternate solutions to consider, just in case these sound appealing. My goal is to make Holy arrow both unique and viable; I don't want to make it "Just Kel/Vyd/Rye, but Light elemental."

- Multihit Random: The spell is divided into a volley of arrows, causing 1-4 hits, each one doing 50% normal damage. It's a gambler's option, for those who want to risk wild, unreliable numbers if it means potentially doing heavy damage. Considering the "average" roll would likely end up being 2-3 hits, unless each result is weighted differently, that would help compensate for the very limited targeting by making it above average overall.

- Bow Boosting: Since Bows are usable as a casting tool for theming, why not give it special bonuses when used with a bow? While I had initially considered allowing crossover with Archer skills to hybridize them (Example: Turning Starbow from Pierce Physical to Light Magical by using both in unison) I think that may be too much for the current state of things, and unfair to roll out to this one specific class combo. Still, perhaps a bow could allow a longer range, diagonal targeting, spreadshot (Like Riagri, but I'm trying to come up with things we don't already have) or even just applying the bow's On-Hit effect (Not the crit effect, as Holy Arrow cannot crit.)

- Santified Remnants: Upon impact, the arrow explodes in a flash, baptizing the area in brilliance. My original thought was something akin to a light version of Void pollution, causing problems for low Faith units, but I couldn't decide on what it should actually DO (other than obvious ones like reduce hit - which light shafts already do - or other effects already covered by other spells.) Just leaving this here in case it sparks any ideas.
*loud burp*