Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silence and Non-Verbal Spells
Silence has always been a pretty deliberating status that renders most magicians useless, it's one of the few statuses that can potentially shut out a character entirely. While there are means to cure it, it's still quite nasty to be hit with.

So to alleviate that issue, I'd like to propose we reintroduce an idea from SL1, the idea of verbal and non-verbal spells. You could probably tell the difference by an icon. (Like the ones that determine things like targeting, spell school, etc.)

Naturally, non-verbal spells would be ones you could cast despite being Silenced. Though, this would be limited and most of the non-verbal spells would be basic. Things like healing spells, Invocations or particularly potent ones would be considered Verbal so Silence still remains as a counter to powerful spells.

I'm going to list what spells I think should be considered eligible to be non-verbal. Feel free to suggest others that could be considered.

Suggestions for Non-Verbal Spells:

Mage: Fir, Miu, Vyd, Isendo, Rye
Curate: Kel, Holy Arrow, Quickness, Invigoration, Brighten
Bonder: Riagri
Lantern Bearer: Focused Beam
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
I can get behind this. Too few spells, though, but I kind of agree with the list as well since I can't think of any other spells that are somatic enough to be non-verbal. Looking at what I have, everything just. . . Seems like it needs incantations. Especially Evoker and Priest spells -- it's literally in the name.
[Image: Y8FFQj7.jpg]
^Mercala's Favorite Apparently
[Image: To2mAPS.png](heh)
As long as a mage has access to their basic spells, it'd give value to them and also not make them entirely helpless against a full silence.
Honestly, I'd probably suggest VOID BOLT be up on this list. Simply from the RP standpoint that an assassin isn't probably screaming, "VOIDUUUU BOLTUUUUU" whenever they want to banish someone to the fuckin shadowrealm.
As long as Silence reduces the power of those by like -25%, I'm down to agree. So the word-less spells, while you're silenced, only use 75% of their full power.

This comes from the idea that some of the basic mage spells are still quite painful if you're 100% built for it, such as Fir (CAST FIST spelledge), Vyd (with a certain fan) or Isendo (for building DEF).

Added to that, +1 to Sderg, although with a question mark on Black Bolt, not so on Detogate. Aaaaand, I'll be 'that guy' and say... Asura Fist? :3
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
I agree with the OP, except concerning Quickness. The movement bonus sounds like a prime way for a silenced mage to play the 'run away until no silence' game a little too well.

Asura Fist and Black Bolt can stay verbal.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
Considering Quickness is now only a +2 Movement Bonus, I disagree.

However, I do agree that Asura Fist and Black Bolt are both strong enough that they should remain verbal.
[Image: 95e2774f19.png]
And adding to Slydria.

Curates have a spell to cleanse Silence and give a temporary immunity to it, normally they don't care that much about being silenced, except when it's a Hexer in the game.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Good list. Seems pretty solid so far so let's go for it
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
I'm all game for this.

Reason I post is I'd definetly make blink verbal. As cheap and rather simple spell it is, leaving it unhindered by silence simply encourages "okay i will teleport from one end of field to another every round until silence wears off for almost no price"

or atleast limit its range.

another thought would be for nonverbal casts to not have reduced damage, but rather take four momentum. On the other hand, there's the whole "hitting a resist" deal involved, so not sure if that'd be a good choice.