Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magical Series X
The Magical Series of weapons has been a staple in the game for quite some time now. However, I've been noticing a lot of.. just general silliness when dealing with the weapons as a whole.

They currently have 60% STR/WIL scaling, for a combination of 120%. The main 3 weapon types (Sword/Axe/Spear) can also reach 32-40 weapon power. Just for existing.

Not only this, but if you pump up the weapon power, you can also 2h them (because they will go over 20 weight).

So it turns into something that looks like this.

(((STR*.6)+(WIL*.6))*1.5)+WPNPOW)*1.2

With the absolute maximum WPN POW (40) I've been able to achieve, and with 50 scaled in the stats, you can almost completely break the damn things.

Easily able to reach 169 SWA with them. This is absolutely bonkers due to the way some autohits can just gain up to 1.4x SWA for it's damage (and give other effects). These weapons are horrendously accurate in such a way, but... even with just the basic 1.4x SWA, this become very obvious why these should be hit with the nerf bat.

Even as casting implements, they are 100% better casting tools than any tome will ever be, simply due to the fact 1/2 weapon power for not a matching element really doesn't matter all that much, since 20 weapon power is still more than most tomes can make (due to remains / weapon parts being a thing that exist)

I'd like to see if these weapons, mostly just the ones that can be two handed, could have their weapon scaling shot. There's zero reason for them to be better than a tome and also give you the ability to 2h (which makes them even better), and also use sword/axe/spear skills alongside their absurd SWA. There just really isn't.

If their scaling gets hit, I'd like to see it go down to something along the lines of 40-50% in each (for 80-100% scaling in total).
I think 50% each is fine. But yes, people are getting 160+ SWA which is easy death for a dodgy, evasion triggering or not.
[Image: GQJ8dCS.png]
[Image: unknown.png]
120% scaling on a weapon scaling from two stats (that are Str and Will) isn't that much. The weapons are just crazy because, unlike Tomes, you get to use Two-Handing, remains, and weapon parts.

I think it would be best to make it so that Two-Handing only applied to basic attacks, to create Wood and Page versions of the current Metal materials, and to increase all weapons, including Tomes, to three customization parts.
No other weapon, bar some tomes and I think some of the fan daggers have 120% + scaling. The base sword, which can be rebelled comes close to this sword's stat scaling (110% STR iirc), but it falls short due to not being a casting weapon.

Hell, most weapons that you can craft from the books you can buy begin to drop rapidly in scaling the second you add any sort of effect or stars to them.
Two-hand can get crazy.

On the other hand, this particular talent is the only reason I see people ever consider the Spelledge weapons. They rarely and intentionally grab a tome instead, for the extra skill slots.

I think the two-hand talent is at fault here, mostly.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
Spell edge weapons mostly scale so exponentially because two hand is so strong on 20+ weight weapons, but it also comes from the fact that spell edge weapons will always be inherently better, as they get high power (a rustic magical star has 40 power with max upgrade) and also high scaling to boot, even the magical comet falls under this rule quite heavily, take a look at this if you'd like, to see how unfair it seems for spell edge vs any other weapon

[Image: 8fcf05db47.png]

My Magical comet, despite only having 1 more power than my Fenri seems to scale better, it wouldn't be fair not to include the stats here so Ill just post the scaled amounts for reference.

[Image: 3b15260a23.png]

My SKI is way wayyyy high on this character, its absurdly high mostly for ice ATK, while my WIL is only 40, STR scalings for both are very similar

Fenri: 60% STR and 45% SKI
Magical Comet: 65% STR 60% WIL

Simply put, the total scaling of magical comet is able to push aside Fenri's scaling simply on just that alone, even though I have WAY lower WIL than SKI, it seems almost unfair.

Points brought up mostly are:

-Spell edge weapons have too high scaling for their power, they should probably be normalized to 50% WIL 50% (other stat, 55% str for fists)
-Two Hand is really really good, but not the sole explanation as to why these weapons are so good.
Maybe one of their weapon effects should be that Two-Hand doesn't work with them?
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
Part of it is also that will isn't exactly an unwanted stat for non-magic based characters nowadays. Tuning down their scaling might be the best course of action.
I agree with Dev here, having it be ineligible for 2hand would only be inconsistent, as I brought up in my post it just gets too much power and scaling at the same time, 2hand simply put just amplifies the existing issue.

A quick Question Dev, will this also affect Magical Nova? (The shotgun), it already scales 50/50, which seems to work well.
We could just drop the rest of them down to 50/50 and see what happens.