Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell curve hit and crit
Crit Damage could be shifted based on weapon weight, as well.

STR = Crit Damage Stat (over GUI) if WPN WEIGHT > 20 (or equal to)

GUI = Crit Damage Stat (over STR) If Wpn Weight < 20
thats a bit harsh I still think overall base crit damage isn't high enough considering we went down from a flat 2x modifier pre gr to weapon+guile crit damage.

and auto hit damage has only gone up since GR
"Neus" Wrote:I meant critical chance, not damage. I also thought about making it depend on the weapon type but;
A) Not every weapon in a melee category scales with STR.
B) It's probably not fair for guns/etc to get to triple dip on damage/critical/hit from one stat if the other weapon classes can't double dip.
Not every weapon scales off of SKI, but they all use SKI to hit. My point being is that strength could still reasonably cause more critical damage, via reasoning that the brute force when hitting the right spot can be terribly effective.

You still need LUC to hit and crit. Having only SKI and no LUC will cause problems for one's build. To do good damage with a gun, you often need to go Magic Gunner, and thus also build WIL. In addition, many guns have terrible scaling and have gotten terrible damage levels since the bugfix. The ones that don't have terrible scaling have other problems, such as doing Earth damage (which isn't terrible, but it isn't helping them any).
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
"Neus" Wrote:The offensive stats do need to to have a small edge on the defensive ones just because they're less of a safe investment. I do think skill might be a little too beneficial, though. Part of me is considering moving the bonus critical from skill and putting it on Strength.
Possible, but I think STR should be getting Critical Damage, rather than Critical.

I do think there is one thing about Basic Attack stats that we need to look at: LUC and GUI. Presently, both of these stats seem to be 'required'; LUC is the primary Critical provider, while GUI provides Critical Damage. This makes three required stats for anyone that needs Hit/Crit, not even counting what stats the weapon needs, which is unlikely to align solely within the SKI/LUC/GUI triangle. (Unless you wield certain daggers)

If we were to make STR the primary source of Critical Damage, we could turn LUC/GUI from two necessary stats to a 'one or both' choice: LUC can become a tame but steady source of critical, whereas GUI provides a stronger amount if the player can meet positional demands.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
my ideal changes based on chaos's idea to change guile

Luck, left alone

Strength gains .5 crit damage per stat

Guile gives .5 crit damage .5 crit , 1 crit damage and 1 crit on the sides.
I'd rather GUI stay at 1% Critical Damage, AND make STR grant 0.5% Critical Damage. Don't forget the overall damage fell off, especially on critical hits, and builds that gamble on it.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
If you want to talk about critical damage, there's already a balance fu topic on it.
"Neus" Wrote:If you want to talk about critical damage, there's already a balance fu topic on it.

thats all well and good but crit, hit, and crit damage are all interwoven and talking about one facet while excluding the others won't accomplish anything.

Theres something inherently wrong in the formula that makes it completely inadequate in comparison to auto hitting.
Items like Hands of the Giant exists and therefor I think it's worthwhile to reconsider adding a bunch of extra damage to strength, so soon after its well-deserved nerf.

That is, of course, unless the absurdity of bonus stats is addressed beforehand.
hands of the giant make thins like DK, sharpen ect add 0 strength in combat because its the max bonus a stat can gain.

also 12+ strength is only like +5 strength past 50 thanks to diminishing returns.