Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Immovable Invocations
Invocations cast from people who don't have blink tend to fall short, they can be moved out of range from rather easily, even stuff such as Divine Judgement don't have the range to ever really hit a target relilably.

Here's what I suggest, a new sub-talent for invocation

Mobile Cast: 5 ranks, allows you to move SR*1 Tiles with an invocation without the invocation breaking.

I think this'd help a lot, also more talents to consider when building a character.
Except when I don't have silence and map-wide movement, this'll mean I have no way to evade the immensely strong spell.
Make the max rank 3 and I'm in on this.
To be real, the only invocations that ACTUALLY are necessary to use in the class kit are evoker spells. If your target outruns divine jugement there is no way they are built for res/defense enough that you can't smite them without it. There are no Hexer, Grand Summoner, or other Priest invocations you need to be close to the target to use. And dev capped movement buffs so if they're in your face already why try to invoke? Each class has great options anyway to deal with that. We already can invoke without fear of a break. Why make it worse?
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
"Raigen.Convict" Wrote:If your target outruns divine jugement there is no way they are built for res/defense enough that you can't smite them without it.
Come on, Raigen. You know well this is entirely untrue. I've seen Spellthieves who run high DEF/RES, Evasion, and [strike]Leeched Energy[/strike] Margin Manipulation for godlike tanking, and it's not like anything in the game tells them, "Well, you can't run Western Wind in that case." That's an extreme example, as would be Skyburn-abusing Demon Hunters, but there's plenty more cases than those two even... Also, Divine Judgement's range is 6. Most characters can use Movement alone to get out of it.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Divine Judgement is not so much the 'example' as to Invocations with this problem as much as it is the sole victim. It's a pretty goddamn useless spell if you don't have Blink, because it's the only one that gets so easily cucked by moving out of its range that isn't also in the same class tree as Blink. More often than not, trying to pull off Divine Judgement is simply throwing away 6M to give your opponent a round where they're free to throw any move of their choice at you before using Movement to completely counter your preparation.

So I'd say this spell itself should be looked at in greater detail, rather than providing benefits to all Invocations to make up for its impossible execution.
[Image: 43061579a09db588952b04fe4c658928.png]
Divine Judgement is 10 range, and as you say it is one of the sole victims right now, but this sort of talent could open design choices for more invocations in the future too that don't absolutely require blink to be even functional.
Divine Judgement is 8 range.

But yeah, as it stands it's the only invoc that massively suffers for lacking blink due to how trivial it is to escape the range, even after it was buffed from 6 to 8 range.

I wouldn't be opposed to enabling movement to a degree for invocations since Mages already have Blink to move 7-8 tiles. 5 is the most it should be, though it could afford to be lower so it's not so close to being blink but with the chance to fall in a hole.

As for Divine Judgement, if the all-encompassing movement allowance is put in, that'd help it, otherwise it's in a tricky spot balancing it so there's still the ability to avoid it whilst making it actually possible to land the ability on someone. Mage invocations are fine at their range due to having an effective threat radius of their range + 7-8, often encompassing a large portion of the map. Divine Judgement is stuck with its range of where it was begun as its threat radius, which as stated, is trivially avoided and promptly punished by anyone with the ability to move 8+ range in 3-4 Momentum (some builds move that far in 1 momentum or less).

If nothing else I'd say have Devocation grant the ability to move during a Mercalan invoc a certain number of tiles. Its current effect is rendered useless by Words of Power nowadays anyway.
"Trexmaster" Wrote:If nothing else I'd say have Devocation grant the ability to move during a Mercalan invoc a certain number of tiles. Its current effect is rendered useless by Words of Power nowadays anyway.

I wouldn't be opposed to this either.
Now we're getting somewhere, good start of an idea. I don't need to see evokers walking up to just slap exgalfa on someone, or overload.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
"Nanovelich" Wrote:Come on, Raigen. You know well this is entirely untrue. I've seen Spellthieves who run high DEF/RES, Evasion, and [strike]Leeched Energy[/strike] Margin Manipulation for godlike tanking, and it's not like anything in the game tells them, "Well, you can't run Western Wind in that case." That's an extreme example, as would be Skyburn-abusing Demon Hunters, but there's plenty more cases than those two even...
In the spelltheif case, there's not much a priest can do, but counters like that are part of balance. It's far from invincible. Same as the Demon Hunter case.
The point I was making is there's very little relation between how much defensive power you can have and how mobile your character is in this game. And if you don't have movement, there's knockback. This point is only more further validated by the dual class system.

A counterargument solely to the line I quoted and unrelated to the topic of Priest's capabilities.
[Image: 43061579a09db588952b04fe4c658928.png]