Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Intensify Cold
Can Intensify Cold's ice weakness and frostbite durations be increased to 5 turns each? Nearly other (if not every other) buff/debuff invocation has a 5 turn duration, making it feel as if Intensify Cold is outdated.
Do you realize how insane a 50% weakness is? 3 Rounds is plenty for that sort of damage buff, Evoker has its own ways to capitalize on it, and not to even mention Verglas.

I'd argue 4 rounds max but that's pushing it too. 5 Rounds is simply too much.
keep the ice weakness to 3 and maybe the frostbite can be for 5
When you look at Divine Judgement essentially nullifying most target's defense/resistance for the class' method of offense and Death Knighting as a whole, it doesn't seem so crazy to me. It's powerful, yes, but so are the other invocations. Rather than frontloading the power like Overload, Exgalfa, or Isenshi, the strength comes in the follow-up, and the weakness has to go against the target's innate resistance (Which is most likely not very high, but that's because Ice magic is inferior to Lightning magic and requires a similar stat spread).

Frostbite is an afterthought to me as, again, most characters can simply ignore it (and Cinders are much better both in PvE and PvP).

So I think 5 turns is fair, but 4 as a testing point would be nice too.
Honestly, I've always felt as if intensify cold's duration lasts too short, and people seem to cheese it by running away anyway. At least in my personal experience it has been that way.

I think the weakness could be dropped to 30% or something like that, so the duration could be bumped up to 4 rounds. But that's me. I believe this is the only way to make 4 rounds work fine, since when the ice mage actually gets to catch someone with that weakness, they dish out a hilarious amount of damage.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
As it stands you either run away from the cast itself, or after you've already gotten slapped with it.

Otherwise the resulting combo (assuming your ice resist was 25% or lower) will likely just kill you outright.

This is mostly due to the stacking effects of both higher damage + being able to chain three attacks due to the weakness procs.

It's already something that you have to avoid or kill/disable the caster or else you'll likely eat shit yourself, at most I'd go with something like Fern suggested, docking the weakness percentage to compensate.
Five turns is definitely a no-no. Actually, I'm personally not sure if Intensify Cold itself needs a buff in duration or shift in the status effect numbers at all. At most, I -could- agree to making it four rounds, but no more or less, since you tend to lose about a turns worth, or half of one, for actually casting it. That said, I think some of the ice attacks from Mage and Evoker other than this invocation are worth taking a look at, if not for their base damage numbers but their general difficulty to target and lackluster effects.

Ice in general is supposed to have the effect of limiting movement, be it by causing a penalty for moving (frostbite), debuffing it (Celsius), or outright just shutting them down (frigid arrow), or the original effect, placing tiles to inhibit. There are, however, numerous ways to ignore these issues at present, be it using a Blink, a movement skill, or just being to teleport over stuff, and while this isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's my personal belief that ice mages should get a little extra oomph to slow down opponents to keep up with the times - so perhaps, Miu, Famiuga, Libegrande, - could cause Celsius along with their damage, or ice tiles could get looked at as a whole? I'm not saying to shut down the alternatives, but rather to make what already exists more viable to keep up and utilize something like intensify cold, if the opponent fleeing for the duration is the issue. If you want to shut down a blink, you should probably combo with something else, because I'm not trying to make ice an all-stop against all forms of movement.

tl;dr let's look at the other ice stuff, and keep Intensify Cold as it is for now.
I don't think this is necessary, making it 4 rounds will give too much of a gap for an Evoker to relentlessly hunt you down and burst you with three chain casts of ice.

Aside the fact Soaked targets + Ice damage = Immobilize
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]