Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overworld Expansion
You're basically asking to create millions and millions of tiles of fleshed-out supermaps for the various continents, including various parts of the overworld adjusted to work on this new supermap-- such as caravans and the B.D.P. spawning-- alongside any game design elements that must be accounted for, and methods made towards ensuring that players can actually seek out one-another for roleplay without too much issue. Not to mention that 32x32 per overworld tile is not feasible if you want to integrate cities/villages/hot-spots, since each of them goes by their own sizes and will need to be worked around by the surrounding areas, not vice-versa.

I'm sorry, but this sounds like a pipe dream. The work required to see this through would take years to even decently realize, between mapping, programming, designing, etc. with the one programmer + few artist/mapping volunteers we currently have. Especially when a large portion of the 'advantages' can be replicated through other systems, which are much, MUCH quicker to implement.

Maybe with a constantly larger playerbase and a vastly-reworked 'world' on offer, we would be able to realize something like this and it would probably look good. But right now, assuming we can even put down behemoth maps like this and not ruin absolutely every advantage through monstrous lag, the best we could do without overworking ourselves is grass/path spam. It's just not something we have the capabilities to really focus on without major detriment to the game.
[Image: a2794117f3.png]
[12:53:15 AM] Chaos: don't hit dyst
[12:53:18 AM] Chaos: that's cruelty to animals
[12:53:20 AM] Chaos: you have to shoot it
[12:53:20 AM] Dystopia: ye
"Chaos" Wrote:I'm sorry, but this sounds like a pipe dream. The work required to see this through would take years to even decently realize, between mapping, programming, designing, etc. with the one programmer + few artist/mapping volunteers we currently have. Especially when a large portion of the 'advantages' can be replicated through other systems, which are much, MUCH quicker to implement.

I suppose you could take a page from how the first generation Pokemon games were developed in mind of a conversion of this magnitude. A lot of times, what you saw on the screen at the borders of areas was all of the mapping there was. The best way I can think of relating it would be to take a square and then hollow it out. Now, you're only allowed to explore/walk along the edge that's left over. There's still the illusion of the square, and content can be added as time progresses. It also wouldn't kill memory (I think). Although, I suppose the major backfire from this idea is you'd still be limiting off to one continent (possibly) and quest locations would have to be moved around (granted it is possible, unsure if plausible, to do - the guy who gives the sword quest in Oniga could become a tourist NPC in Tannis for example).

This'd probably be a more middle ground approach. Granted you'd have to be sure to include things like a lawless section to replace the actual Law's End in Oniga and other things (like adding churches where applicable and other small flavors to take into account so we can still keep that diversity from key locations in the Overworld if at all possible).
Also Known As:
Exxy Izzy
"Sawrock" Wrote:
"Skullcatrons" Wrote:(Post manually shrunk due to size reasons)
[Image: RWN7U6U.png]

[Image: latest?cb=20130630173909]

Yes, your Honour. I've been apart of the Mapping for the Spire of Agartha, and so I can attest. I've discussed on the limitation of BYOND. Expanding the gamemap may seem possible- but at what cost? It'll put a damper on trying to find roleplay, it'll put a damper on players trying to learn the game more flexible. Additionally, not everybody have the time to waste their time going all around. They just want to enjoy the game, not convert this game into a drag. Going back, and forth- and doing the eternal treadmill when they just want to roleplay, or do PVP.

Additionally, I've rather suggest to keep it as it is. The system is nice, and I would've gladly welcomed it if I just know that it'll hit the limitation on memory size, and how much it can support.
[Image: XDo90hy.png]
Very well, if it’s believed to be impossible, I’ll retract my offer. I’ve been convinced.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
I haven't.
At least not completely.

Mapping every single tile may be taxing on many fronts, but it also may not be necessary. It's sufficient to map significant areas separated into sub-maps where appropriate, including but not necessarily limited to:
♦ The roads/paths that connect towns and other locations of interest
♦ Areas that may serve as points of interest within forests or other natural settings, such as animal dens.
♦ Bridges, be they across roads or rivers
♦ Town outskirts
♦ Coastline (mapping the entire coastline is honestly unnecessary, but everyone likes to have a beach)

This can keep the world compact enough for a small playerbase while expanding it artificially through obstacles and, potentially, winding routes that can slow progress. The important thing is that the maps are connected in a way that feels geologically correct, has room for wildlife and encounters, and is interesting enough for people to feel immersed just by walking through it (i.e. not a lot of empty space). This means some areas that look incredibly plain on the world map would need a touch of flavor when mapped.

I understand not wanting the map to be too massive to RP in, but it would be a shame to see the idea scrapped altogether. I also understand that we would be losing access to much of the world map as it's presented, but quality over quantity is probably best here.
[Image: latest?cb=20131105000551&path-prefix=en]
This isn't realistic and I don't think it would be very good for the game, either. There's no point in having a gigantic but empty world map.

If people want to map certain areas of interest, like Slydria did with the cove area, they're welcome to. But the idea of having the entire overworld mapped is not possible or recommended.