Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Examination Failure
The doubleclick feature of viewing someone's profile works at any range that your screen can view, which is likely how it is supposed to work.

However, the right click > Examine feature has a limited range, making it less useful, and more prone for people accidentally double clicking not-the-person and using the auto-pather to walk to said location (which is a nuisance)
Personally, I think being able to double click or using .dblclick to observe anyone from the entire server is a bit of a dumb thing to be able to do.

If the right clicking range limitation can be applied to the double click and .dblclick, good. If not, I'd say you should just remove that entirely. Just my two cents.
[Image: XVa5SaQ.png]
This seems pointless but I'll agree with Grandpa here.
I do not care one-way or the other, so long as both features work the same.

I just wish to be able to right click people and see their description when I can see them on my screen (which is hard, considering the field of view is based upon your resolution).
I kind of like people-watching, so I'd like if examine had its range changed to match the current .dblclick range.
People-watching isn't quite roleplaying though, is it? In the end that should be the point of global observation like that. Leave that for GMs, we should be focusing on roleplay.
My counter argument is that if you can see that characters profile you can know of any obviously apparent things on said character so you can roleplay accordingly. Like something not on the sprite that would stick out on the character from a distance.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
who would it hurt to be able to examine from anywhere you can see them???
As an example: GMs can be invisible. But you can bypass this by doing the .dblclick command. It renders the whole point moot. A lot of people do this habitually now to avoid doing things that would get them banned by a GM watching to make sure they weren't doing whatever activity.

I don't really think players should be able to keep watch for GMs in such a way, when all they're doing is trying to avoid getting caught breaking the rules.

"Raigen.Convict" Wrote:My counter argument is that if you can see that characters profile you can know of any obviously apparent things on said character so you can roleplay accordingly. Like something not on the sprite that would stick out on the character from a distance.

As a very, very simple counter to this, you shouldn't be able to see things that aren't on their icon because they're small as hell from a long distance either. Say a character has ring that proclaims their nobility and you're staring at them from across town. You aren't going to be able to see that unless you're close to them, or at the very least, you shouldn't be able to. And before you say "people wouldn't do that," I've seen it happen firsthand and have had it happen to me.

There's no good excuse for you to be able to observe people from long distance or across the whole game itself.
"Grandpa" Wrote:As an example: GMs can be invisible. But you can bypass this by doing the .dblclick command. It renders the whole point moot. A lot of people do this habitually now to avoid doing things that would get them banned by a GM watching to make sure they weren't doing whatever activity.

I don't really think players should be able to keep watch for GMs in such a way, when all they're doing is trying to avoid getting caught breaking the rules.

so make the proc fail if they're invisible

"Grandpa" Wrote:As a very, very simple counter to this, you shouldn't be able to see things that aren't on their icon because they're small as hell from a long distance either. Say a character has ring that proclaims their nobility and you're staring at them from across town. You aren't going to be able to see that unless you're close to them, or at the very least, you shouldn't be able to. And before you say "people wouldn't do that," I've seen it happen firsthand and have had it happen to me.

There's no good excuse for you to be able to observe people from long distance or across the whole game itself.

a modest amount of metagaming is actually helpful to roleplay, contrary to popular opinion. things like distances and measures of time should be handwaved for the sake of roleplaying rather than taken as absolute. as an example, the capital cellsvich which is home to probably hundreds of thousands of people or more has like five buildings on its town square's in-game map.