Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Book Smack
In my opinion this ability is a bit overpowered due to the classes that pair up with this weapon type and the combos that can be abused due to it.
It gives tome users an unfair advantage over melee characters since they can book smack someone and push them away with Typhur, which forces them to take damage for one turn since they only have enough momentum for one action.
It also allows mages to trump melee classes in close combat since it takes momentum, giving mages two attacks while allowing the melee class only one attack.

Close combat options for mages are limited but this was not the direction to take since it gives too much power to their close combat ability and it can be paired up with Typhur and be easily abused.

I believe this skill could of worked well on something like axes due to the size and impact of the blow, it would make sense for your opponent to get staggered.
This would give them the choice of fleeing for a turn or staying and fighting at a disadvantage which would be especially devastating for ranged classes.
why is use abuse?

also many melee characters possess....gap closers

BK, Duelist (and its promos ), martial artist ( and its promos)

Really only rogue suffers a lack of a gap closer, but this is a game where you can have two classes.

also spiked treads....

if knockback was an issue then monks would get hit with the super nerf bat. ( Dense thunder + dragons gale)
I'm guessing spiked treads prevent knockback? If so I was unaware.

The main issue is still the momentum reduction, it still gives tome users an advantage over melee combatants where there shouldn't be.
I will drop the knockback case thanks to your point on spiked treads but the momentum reduction still makes this ability overpowered by forcing a melee user away from an area he should not be contested in.
well perhaps making the knockdown a chance to knockdown? if its so bad
Book Smack has been in the game for quite a few months, and it rarely sees use, because tome-users rarely have the Hit to connect with a tome.

I feel that the skill is fine, considering that tome-users having a deterrent to keep melee-users from blindly running in. So it's fine as-is.

Also, this isn't meant to be a direct attack, but I feel that this would be more genuine if it didn't come right after a loss from a tome-user who used Book Smack once.
Having a chance wouldn't be so bad, that way it could be used as a desperation move to get a melee user off of you giving you breathing room for one turn.
You'd hit them do damage and if lucky take their momentum a couple of points, allowing you to get two attacks vs their one if they choose to stay or create a gap for the coming turns.
Then if the gamble didn't pay off, you'd still deal damage but not as much as if you'd casted two spells.
your next move would most likely be to run since he'd out dps you in melee if you're both equally well built and leveled.

Now the next issue would be balancing the chance making it a fair enough to be viable risk but not so high that it'd work out the majority of the time.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/viewtopic.php?p=3262#p3262 Wrote:MegaBlues » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:56 pm[/url]"]Book Smack has been in the game for quite a few months, and it rarely sees use, because tome-users rarely have the Hit to connect with a tome.

I feel that the skill is fine, considering that tome-users having a deterrent to keep melee-users from blindly running in. So it's fine as-is.

Also, this isn't meant to be a direct attack, but I feel that this would be more genuine if it didn't come right after a loss from a tome-user who used Book Smack once.

Well it is a direct attack, adding "Also, this isn't meant to be a direct attack"
doesn't prevent it from being one.
This was an unnecessary comment from your otherwise decent contribution

In my eyes it isn't a good option and I'm a tome user, not a melee user
With a chance to reduce knockback it would be a more balanced option, otherwise it's a guaranteed way to trump a melee user one tile away.
Also just because something isn't always used does not make it balanced, some players may be overlooking its power or not realizing how much of an advantage reducing your opponents momentum gives you.
Booksmack has no knockback.
It's decent momentum removal. But you have to hit. And you are wasting this attempt to hit instead of dishing out insane damage because you likely didn't equip a tome to just wave it around.

"In my eyes." it's fine.
Personally, I think it's fine. It's a very situational attack that has some strategic use, and can be played around with clever skill application or by buffed up your dodge, since most Tome attacks are fairly inaccurate.