Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monster Stats/Etc Examination and Equipment
So in another topic, someone mentioned being able to see monster stats being a downer, which I can agree with. Although it has been helpful for bug testing, at higher levels, it does sort of convey another advantage for players. So, basically, I wanted to get some feedback for an idea I had;

1) After level 20, monsters start hiding their stats and skills from players.

I picked level 20 because it's still nice and flexible for new players. Alternatively (and somewhat tricky to implement);

2) Monster skills are hidden from the player until they are used/applied.

So you won't know a monster has Red Sea until it casts it. You won't know that Forgery will make your ears hurt until it does. And so on. Enemies with Akashic Erasure would ignore this rule, as you might expect. This would apply on a per-enemy basis (so if you were in a battle with two enemies that could use Red Sea, you wouldn't be able to see that they both have it, even if they're the same enemy type. This is mostly to cut down on storage issues; tracking skills individually is out of the question for that reason. I could see something like a Monster Hunting talent being added at some point, though, that lets you record enemies in a bestiary (like the Detective Log) and see their stats if the talent's rank is high enough (so you can see enemies you've already beaten, and so on). This is an idea for the future, though, not something that needs to be included alongside this adjustment.

Some notes;
A) Skills such as Enemy Evaluation would give you the full rundown.
B) Some new skills could be added that give a similar 'analyze' effect.
C) Might be able to buff Zeran's focus sense to include HP and FP being seen by default, giving them a nice little niche.
D) Could also have applications in future items/etc.

---

Also, enemy equipment. Some people have mentioned this before, but I think it might be interesting if at certain levels, some of the humanoid enemies (such as goblins and bandits) could equip items like players; the number of items they could equip in this nature would be relative to their level. So a higher level enemy could have a whole bunch equipped. This would work similarly to arena combatants.

Some notes;
A) Could give rise to some new skills that let you check what items an enemy has equipped (and potentially steal them if they're a monster maybe?).

---

Anyway, just looking for some feedback on these ideas, so feel free to post what you think.
I feel that the "???" listed in the enemy Skills list should be removed. Knowing how many skills an enemy has is also rather meta, as you can usually guess a monster's niche by it.

Hiding Skills and Stats is a good idea too, I think. Though you may need to do some tweaking to the existing ones, since everyone knows what they do already.

Or, maybe, giving monsters a certain pool of skills/spells/passives which they can choose from. Why do all Epsilons cast Vyd and Explosion? Why can Deltas only inflict Poison with their bell? Etc.

I also like the idea of some NPC enemies being able to have equipment, if the rarity fits their level. Maybe after-battle drops could come from this?

Classes might need to start getting a bit more utility to handle the surge in variety, though.
Does this include player-verus-player interactions, or only player-versus-environment?
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
It says Monster, so, hopefully, just PvE.
so goblin spearies could have spears?, sounds fun
Would giving all Monsters lv 20+ Record Erasure not be suitable enough to work for disclosing their stats / skills?

Although the niche to Zerans sound a bit more fair and somewhat interesting (might make people rely on Zerans to assist in combat sometimes).

I do like the thought of stealing items from NPCs (so long as they don't do the same thing back).

Also, maybe making a trait or LE ability to support your suggestion of "skills that work like analyze" sounds like it'd be nice and make the LE system a bit more helpful than it already is.
Quote:OOC Devourer Of Souls: I did literally nothing and have never played YGO in my life.
OOC Black Chaos X: OOC Devourer Of Souls: no one activated zera ritual
OOC Blissey: HHHAHAHAAA
OOC Devourer Of Souls: That's fake.

Tengen Toppa [Image: 2zolp55.jpg] !!!
You know those LE 'fated' monster hunter skills? Yeah. Those could also give analyzation of your enemies.
I love this idea, it gives a new level of challenge without straight up boosting monster power.