Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Magic Gunner feels like it's in a weird place
Quick disclaimer, relatively new player here so I don't know if this has been said much before, but;

The Magic Gunner class feels really out of place within the Archer discipline. Sure, it's an obvious match given the fact that it's basically a class tree dedicated to ranged weapons, but amongst these classes Mage Gunner has bugger all synergy amongst them.

With Archer, Arbalest and Ranger nearly every primary skill specifically restricts itself to bows only, leaving only a few odd Traps, Passives, and minor skills applicable to guns, with the only real notable skills worth taking being Cripple Arm & Leg.

Instead, Mage Gunner's best synergy tends to be across classes with the likes of Demon Hunter for its excellent Desperado and Leadstorm abilities for Guns, Tactician for its wide berth of support, and Mages to further improve their ability to exploit weaknesses, summon protection, or buff themselves further.

Now cross-classing is great, I love it as a thing you can do, but the other thing about MG is that it's a very expensive class to invest skill points in, especially if you want a large variety of ammo, but you can mitigate this via Destiny, but... Well this leaves you fairly screwed for a good sub-class given that none of them are in the Archer tree.

So yeah, I don't really have much more to say; what coukd be done? Maybe stick MG on the Mage Tree, maybe make Archer classes more gun supportive? I mostly just wanted to vocalize how odd Magic Gunner feels compared to other weapons and classes I've played.
you need to understand the game was designed originally without destiny.
"Lolzytripd" Wrote:you need to understand the game was designed originally without destiny.

And it's been years since both MG and Destiny were implemented, this still shouldn't be the case.

As for OP though; there has been several complaints in the past about this yeah, MG currently only benefits from a select few skills and passives in the Archer tree. (Previously mentioned in OP) As for what can be done about it, I think Keyshot/Snake Shot and maybe Snipe being gun compatible would be a decent start although it still wouldn't quite solve the issue stated.
Snipe would be iffy, as then every sniper rifle gets the round 0 threat, but the hit bonus at the very least should apply.

As for archer skills, I can see Keyshot applying as Archer gets no inherent crit buffs for guns, and for being a basic attack centric weapon they really do get shafted on crit a whole lot.

Giving guns more utility is a dangerous proposition simply because they're already the kings of utility with Magic Gunner's single shell effects.
It isn't the only class to suffer from the lack of synergies when destinying. You can make a gun/bow build work though I've seen it work. Personally I feel like the archer base class needs more gun stuff. Even if you are only using MG there isn't any choice in what you will get from the base class really.
-------------------------------------------------
[Image: 1599085341408.gif]
It'd be nice to see Arbalest be opened up for maybe like at least Shotguns or Launchers; they don't exactly clash too much with the style of the class with its focus on being the HEAVY version of its specified weaponry, and it'd be another option for guns that isn't really in the game: non-magical gunnery.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing some heavy weaponry additions to Arbalest, but it'd feel a little out of place. Though, Destiny Archer with guns? When that becomes viable, sign me up.
[Image: unknown.png]