Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On the subject of Roleplay[TM]
I'll just add my two cents on this one, I guess. Stuff like "Cobra" is used ICly on occasion, but it's extremely rare and usually has some IC justification, in my experience.

As for the other things... I don't know where you're hearing those come up ICly, to be honest. I won't claim to have been around as long as some other people, but it's been almost a year by now and I'm pretty sure I've never heard someone use either "Ghost" or "Eviter" in an IC conversation about fighting styles or whatever, whether it's during a spar or not. Maybe in an emote or something, but not actually being said.
pizzatime post_id=36590 time=1558148014 user_id=2073 Wrote:they literally happen all the time in the middle of the arena and are very ic
inhale
ah shit, here we go again

Alright, so first off, facts essential for context: I play SL2 on a daily basis, and my favorite spot to sit at (both IC and OOC) is Badlands Arena. I see most, if not all of the fights that happen there, and this obviously includes character communication (says, emotes, what have you). I even take my time reading character profiles when I've got nothing to do.

Now, with this context established: I haven't experienced what you've seen in the slightest. If something like this happened, then yes, I'd agree with anyone who said it did. But I'm not, because it doesn't. No Ghost, No Eviter, nada. Like Spo said, it's just kept vague or conveyed into IC.

I'm sure many will agree with me, and if it did actually happen, then it ought to be a new player or someone whose roleplay is simply not the best; something Spo stated in one of their posts.
Lewdcifer post_id=36593 time=1558148828 user_id=834 Wrote:
pizzatime post_id=36590 time=1558148014 user_id=2073 Wrote:they literally happen all the time in the middle of the arena and are very ic
inhale
ah shit, here we go again

Alright, so first off, facts essential for context: I play SL2 on a daily basis, and my favorite spot to sit at (both IC and OOC) is Badlands Arena. I see most, if not all of the fights that happen there, and this obviously includes character communication (says, emotes, what have you). I even take my time reading character profiles when I've got nothing to do.

Now, with this context established: I haven't experienced what you've seen in the slightest. If something like this happened, then yes, I'd agree with anyone who said it did. But I'm not, because it doesn't. No Ghost, No Eviter, nada. Like Spo said, it's just kept vague or conveyed into IC.

I'm sure many will agree with me, and if it did actually happen, then it ought to be a new player or someone whose roleplay is simply not the best; something Spo stated in one of their posts.

idk what arena you've been hanging out at man id like to go to it rather than the one that apparently doesnt exist anywhere than in the landscape of my mind

nevertheless, time does not warrant absolute clarity. people sometimes like to overlook things because they either find it boring or what-have-you

another point of contention im bringing up is the fact that it was stated that doomwall was an ooc term thats become an ic term
(if the statement itself doesnt seem silly enough for you, interjecting ooc ideas/nicknames into an ic universe that wouldnt state it otherwise is not justifiable)
ROUGH RIDER, TEN TIMER, KFC BITER
pizzatime post_id=36594 time=1558149057 user_id=2073 Wrote:another point of contention im bringing up is the fact that it was stated that doomwall was an ooc term thats become an ic term
(if the statement itself doesnt seem silly enough for you, interjecting ooc ideas/nicknames into an ic universe that wouldnt state it otherwise is not justifiable)

...They stated the exact opposite, though...? The phrase "doomwall" came up ICly first, and then started being used OOCly later. That's what was said. So, it's an IC nickname that started being used OOCly, rather than the opposite.
"it was used once in ic"
"we consistently used it in ooc"
>now a prevelant term in ic even though it holds no real place as a legitimate word in the setting
>its more of a build term than an actual legit concept
>where in fantasy would you call someone a doomwall unironically

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot_20190517-201825_Chrome.jpg (Size: 245.86 KB / Downloads: 1,562)
hey kids this is a reminder that pointing at any observation of the mediocre rp that goes on in this game isn't 'elitist' just because you say it is
[Image: gjMFX5q.png]
No matter what you say or judge or whatso-hellish-ever, nothing said here will change people for the better if this turns into a salt thread. You can only hope to do so, mainly because it's not against the game's rules to address things however they want as long as it doesn't fully break the lore, even if the connotation was born out of OOC for the hell of it.

People call Shaitans 'crabs' ICly, so go wonder. Doomwall is not really that farfetched compared to it, given a Black Knight's fame of being immortal, dangerous machines made of flesh and armor.

tl;dr This thread has nothing productive in my eyes, and only loud ranting of 1 single person who dislikes what 99 more do, instead of trying to change things from inside-out with a proper demonstration of how to RP better.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]
Snake post_id=36598 time=1558185644 user_id=310 Wrote:No matter what you say or judge or whatso-hellish-ever, nothing said here will change people for the better if this turns into a salt thread. You can only hope to do so, mainly because it's not against the game's rules to address things however they want as long as it doesn't fully break the lore, even if the connotation was born out of OOC for the hell of it.

People call Shaitans 'crabs' ICly, so go wonder. Doomwall is not really that farfetched compared to it, given a Black Knight's fame of being immortal, dangerous machines made of flesh and armor.

tl;dr This thread has nothing productive in my eyes, and only loud ranting of 1 single person who dislikes what 99 more do, instead of trying to change things from inside-out with a proper demonstration of how to RP better.

productivity is subjective in the eyes of different people, but i'm sorry that you don't consider it such

however, im going to reiterate a previous point;
Quote:when would you ever call someone a doomwall in fantasy

the critical aspect of this whole post is to try and thumbtack the problem people are incorporating ooc culture into ic narrative and i think that goes counter to the atmosphere of the universe and the rp mandate

also calling shaitan crabs was also pretty silly, if anything a lobster makes more sense

but yes, as long as the moba player slang 'doesnt break lore,' it's totally fine -- but the focus of this post is to address what is obviously a very, very strained line that holds most social conversation from being good rp, and pub lobby chat.
It isn't ever appropriate to call anyone out on the way they're playing the game. That includes making these kinds of posts for specifically that purpose. You may write that it isn't with the function of doing do, but all I see from this thread is that people don't like a minuscule issue typically found in new players.

Filling your post with memes and silly references makes it come off as mocking and occasionally straight insulting, which I'm sure wasn't the intention, but nonetheless happened regardless. So let me be very clear in how this topic should be approached.

You have no right to say how other people should, and should not do their role-play.

You're very welcome to help them improve, but threads like these only serve to alienate them.

If there are any real issues, bring it up with a GM and provide us with the logs/pictures, or whatever evidence you have, so we can find a proper solution to whatever issue is perceived.

I've decided to lock the thread, as I feel any discussion here would only make the subject matter worse.
I'm not adverse to this discussion happening, but I do agree the way it was presented was a bit unnecessarily combative. Here are my recommendations if you want to start another thread discussing this:

1) Include screenshots of the activity you are critiquing, since you are stating you see this quite frequently. This helps prove that the behavior is actually occurring, and makes it less of a 'this happens' 'no it doesn't' endless repeating debate. (If you post those in a thread, I'd make a copy that removes the name and face-icons, so we can avoid making anyone feel called out/etc.)
2) Try and keep it constructive; pointing out a problem is fine, but try to offer suggestions or explain why this behavior is bad.
3) Remain civil. If you have a disagreement with someone, avoid having it out with them and making it look like the thread is based on 'salt'. I understand that this is sometimes difficult, but keep in mind that you don't have to make everyone in the community agree with you. If I and/or the GMs agree with the points, then things can change, but we are less likely to read the thread and consider it if it looks like it's just a bunch of people being mad at each other.

I will say that I agree with the sentiment that people shouldn't be using things like 'broski' IC, and that I very much dislike seeing people type "omits" in IC; that's why LOOC exists.