Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's talk Firebird. (I lost my feathers.)
Here I am, writing a suggestion thread. I can't help it, you know. I love the class a lot.

The tldr of this is: Please give Firebird the Monk equivalent of Supress Ki for their feathers. They lose them so easily just by moving and are vital to its identity.

So we've had a bit of time to mess around with the class, I think it's due for us to make suggestions on how to improve the quality of life for it. Or buff it, I guess...

As it stands, it's all too easy for us to lose our magical feathers, and way too hard/inefficient to gain them.

Currently, Firebirb has three ways to gain feathers:
Quote:1) With the Preening innate. By ending your turn, you gain feathers equal to your momentum during the end turn.
2) Wind Flourish, a 3m utility move that causes the target to come to you, assuming they're not 1 tile in front of you, or to get pushed back by 2 tiles. In addition to this, you also gain feathers by 2 + rank(a max of 3), so that's 5.
3) Boon of Apus, an innate that gives you +15 feathers after using 1 of each offensive, defensive, supportive, and utility skills.
Note: Boon of Apus counts skills outside of Firebird, as well. That means Wraithguard counts as a defensive skill, sidecut an offensive skill, etc.

Now that we got the whole 'where/how do you get feathers so I can fly and turn into a real bird?' part, let's get on with how many skills/things you can do with them! I won't go too deep into detail here and merely list which skills use them, since this is a suggestion, not a guide.(Mods pls don't slap my wrist if it seems like it is.)

Here are the skills, how much feather they want, and what they do with them.
Quote:1) Lift Off. 5 Magical Feathers. Creates a 2 range circle filled with feathers.
2) Falcon (Pawnch!) Strike. 3 Magical Feathers. Causes all feathers on the battlefield to resonate and explode. Assuming you have 3 feathers left after the 6 range dash. So this is effectively a 4~9 feather move if you want the feather effect.
3) Feather Veil. 10 Magical Feathers. Gives you +25 evade and status resist for 5 rounds.
4) Burn Away. 5 Magical Feathers. Targets an ally that's not you, and deals 30 protection-ignoring fire magic damage to them. It then strips away impurities and reduces the duration of the longest negative status effect caused by an enemy by 3 rounds.
5) Riser. 2 Magical Feathers. Targets an ally, yourself, or an enemy in 1 range and makes them airborne.
6) Roc's Rise. Minimum 4, maximum 12 magical feathers. This is basically kip up but not free. Reduces the momentum needed to get up from a knockdown by 1 per 4 feathers.
7) Kagero(the firebird skill, not the shuriken talent). 4 Magical Feathers. Causes you to (nothin personnel kid) teleport behind the enemy when you trigger a counterattack on them, leaving behind an elemental copy of yourself at your previous location before teleporting. It then explodes, dealing elemental damage to all enemies within 2 range of it by 100% of your elemental attack.(Whether it be fire, wind, earth, lightning, ice.)
8) Anything that moves your character. This is the biggest issue here, as even teleporting(unless it was fixed) causes you to lose one feather each tile you move. Basically any skill or spell that moves you, you lose one feather per tile that you move..

Whew. NOW that THAT's over with... Firebirb could use a bit of help to manage its feathers. So I propose a few ideas:
Quote:1) Giving the Magical Feathers passive skill a toggle that makes it so you don't use your feathers by moving your foot once in front of you. Much like Monk's Suppress Ki ability.
2) Giving our Preening a bit of a buff, much like how Monk can use Power Up to get their Ki to 30 with 7m (Note that they also regain 50~ FP to boot, so I don't see an issue with this buff for Firebird.)
3) Give it 3 feathers per turn, much like Monk's 3 Ki per turn(doubled if main classing Monk).
4) This one's far fetched, but I'm throwing it out here regardless. Give the skills that don't use feathers, also give feathers. i.e. Pierce Linker giving +1 + rank level.

Honestly, I'd personally go with 1, 2, and 3. Considering Monk exists, I'd like Firebird to have the same kind of management as Monk does.

That's it for now. Feel free to correct me on whatever information I got wrong, or post your own ideas! Or both!

Please hear me out Dev.
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8459553]
I agree to something like a toggle for it, a good birb would know when to and when not to use their feathers up.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
I can agree with this. Its a problem I have too. Moving including knock down just lol use up my feathers. Someone can easily be a dick and run away, forcing to chase and lost whatever feathers I've regen, limiting me from using some skills. It's really annoying lol.

Edit bonus suggestion. Link it to only firebird skills. So moving and other stuff won't simply waste them.
[Image: BAWqB6P.png]
[Image: fa5d9fd2e3f77f27206bb134638b5f28.png]
This toggle was a skill on my original list but I decided against it. The class is very mobile and being 'forced' to toggle on/off a passive whenever you're using any form of movement would get tedious really fast. At the same time, I don't want to trivialize feathers as a resource by making them super abundant.

I'd rather give the class a little more time out in the wild with bugs fixed before we start talking about buffing/nerfing/etc.
An option for not using feathers is teleport movement (Via Bluebeo or shukuchi) or movement skills like haunting/blink. I do agree that its too early to tell completely atm, but I do think maybe the feather generation would need to be looked at anyway some time down the line, it feels a little weak. We'll see though.

So far I'm really digging the class, it suits pretty much everyone wanting to use a spear.
I'll be waiting in the future in that case and gather up a group conclusion. Pitch it in somewhere down the line!
[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=8459553]
After putting the class through a few scenarios, I've managed to gather that yeah its feather generation is kinda weak considering how much its meant to spend, you'll never hit the cap in any match, on top of this it seems I was wrong about teleport skills they still consume feathers (Albeit only 1)

When you have to purposefully avoid spending feathers on even basic movement it becomes a bit of an issue, I'd say that some skills OTHER than Boon of Apus could use some touch up to how many feathers they gain the Firebird user, just a little bit to assure that the class plays out smoothly.

How's this sound?

Wind Flourish - generates 4 + Rank * 2 feathers when used (Instead of 2 + rank*1)
This skill doesn't really do any damage but it does disrupt people only a little bit, so I think this is suiting.

Preening - Converts magical feathers from unused momentum equal to 2:1 (From 1:1), if your momentum is over 3 then the amount is increased by 50%.
Similar to powerup's Ki gain except way way less and has no cooldown, drawback being that it doesn't generate FP like Powerup does, and you'd be essentially sacrificing entire actions to gain feathers, which is fair enough imo.

Some thoughts for the future perhaps if it still looks bleak, this is just my experience so far.