Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spirit Pain in the rear
Spirit Pain is still currently in a very polarizing spot, its ability to outright win 1v1 combat is nigh unfair to the opposition, only ever being mitigated by youkai or perhaps a stray wraithguard that hasn't been killed, while on the flip side its usage in team fights is not doing very hot either, as when it has more targets to choose from its less likely to actually trigger from someone basic attacking. (It could just land on a mage or autohitter simply.)

To explain exactly why it wins 1v1s so hard is not just because the effect itself is terrible, its not as it used to be where it redirected the attack to you for a ton of damage and healed the caster, but because you have to deal with this every single round in a 1v1, and as a basic attacker this can get severely frustrating fast on its own but when you take into account that hexers also have other tools to mitigate basic attacks in their entirety, such as fellel's fumble it just becomes a literal 100% counter. You'll be stuck for 3 rounds not being able to basic attack at all, where the hexer can then refresh everything and keep you in this lock forever.

I'd like to even out both sides of Spirit Pain's issues in order to have it be more balanced overall, less of a 1v1 shit stomp and more effective for its invocation use in team fights, so I have a couple of ideas on how to help fix this issue and give breathing room to people who have to face this monstrosity of a spell.

Here's some options:

A) Spirit Pain always triggers on -ALL- targets first basic attack, but grants immunity to the status once triggered for a set number of rounds (3 rounds would be a good start)

B) Spirit Pain has a set chance to trigger and fumble a basic attack on all targets on round start, no immunity is granted to the status so it can occur every round on essentially a coin flip chance (50%)

Whatcha' think? Anyone else want to share thoughts?
I say Spirit Pain B sounds best. A punishment for allowing it to be casted but not impossible to circumvent. Let's go with it.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
A sounds more healthy to me, though B would be fine if it was changed to actually roll inflict, its not fun to coinflip 50% to get to do nothing every turn.
I've never seen it used in pvp, but I know how strong it is in this situation regardless.
Option A makes it not worth using in 1v1 fights. But if needed we can kill the spell. Not like they don't have a hex for that anyway already.
OOC Devourer Of Souls: it makes me feel like someone slipped me acid laced water
Option B.

It's an invocation that only affects 1 person once and that does not make the 9M worth it. Making it affect everybody equally would be nice.
[Image: ht_pudding_the_fox_04_mt_140821_16x9_384.jpg]