Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's add a basic Rifle!
Rifles are perhaps the earliest form of gun to ever exist, and even to this day they remain the core design for the vast majority of firearms to this day.

And yet we lack just a plain ol' rifle in this game, having only a number of primarily gimmicky guns filling out the rifle sub-type, with weapons like the Excel Sniper requiring you to build for the Excel mechanic to do anything worthwhile with it or the Spirit Hunter kinda just being bad because of the unnecessary 4-shots tacked on that dilute its damage horribly.

So, much like the Handgun and Shotgun, I'd like to request that we just add a basic single-shot rifle to the game; I even made a sprite for it!

Attached Files
.png   rifle.png (Size: 488 bytes / Downloads: 1,102)
God Please.
For balance, I think the important thing would be for it to be solid without invalidating the basic shotgun, as they're both single shot weapons. High range and accuracy are probably the best way to go about this but I'm not very competitive or balance-minded typically
I could agree, as I might don't see it clear, but it looks like its underpowered for people who are using SKI for rifles.
[Image: b69d8dc830a1a6b64ce233e92b2e79c9.png]
[Image: bc307a682fc5f9d2b0a5c0de4dc3aa90.png]
[Image: 5441207b804d39be46ea2d5f9d73eff7.png]
Passive Ability: Take Aim, unused momentum is converted to Hit at a rate of 1 to 10% hit at the end of the turn, until you take a shot.
Active Ability (Chimeric): 'Quickscope' Perform a basic attack that consumes all available momentum, gaining 20% hit chance per extra point of momentum spent. 4 round cooldown.
EenKogNeeto post_id=37678 time=1568758101 user_id=2034 Wrote:Passive Ability: Take Aim, unused momentum is converted to Hit at a rate of 1 to 10% hit at the end of the turn, until you take a shot.
Active Ability (Chimeric): 'Quickscope' Perform a basic attack that consumes all available momentum, gaining 20% hit chance per extra point of momentum spent. 4 round cooldown.

No please, I'm asking for a gun that's just a simple gun with NO gimmicks, NOT another Deadly Coyote. That thing's already a design nightmare who's skills should really just be part of MG rather than tied to a single gun that's superior to every other gun of its sub-type.

BazTheBlue post_id=37675 time=1568756978 user_id=2054 Wrote:For balance, I think the important thing would be for it to be solid without invalidating the basic shotgun, as they're both single shot weapons. High range and accuracy are probably the best way to go about this but I'm not very competitive or balance-minded typically

I'd give it less base power than the shotgun (maybe like 5 as opposed to the shotgun's rather hefty 10) but maybe give it slightly more SKI scaling to reflect that a rifle rewards personal skill more than a shotgun.

Overall I'd say arguments of choosing Rifle or Shotgun would be

Rifle
-Better range
-Better accuracy
-Better raw skill scaling

Shotgun
-Better raw power
-Can be combo'd with damage tiles thanks to its knockback
-Can get even more power from the shotgun MG skill
I think we should refrain from trying to jump the gun with trying to add abilities to what is meant to be a basic rifle, as said. You'd just ruin the point of it being basic - There's only one real exception that I know of to the basic line with a potential and that's Blacksand.

I'm down with this idea if it doesn't get hijacked away from its purpose.
[Image: 400px-Nihilus%2C_the_Abyssal_Flame.gif]
Ending 145: Disappointed in Humanity
While I was at it, I decided to do a few more sprites, including;

* Some different finishes for the basic rifle, i.e: Light wood, dark synthetic material, and redwood

* A scoped rifle which could be a blacksmithing weapon made using the base rifle which would sacrifice power, scaling and hit for more range, crit chance, and crit damage

* A grenade launcher which could function as a jackhammer but with a smaller AoE area more akin to the size of Crystal Rose but with better scaling and power

[Image: guns.png]

Attached Files
.png   launcher.png (Size: 541 bytes / Downloads: 1,028)
.zip   riflefinishes.zip (Size: 1.85 KB / Downloads: 171)
.png   scopedrifle.png (Size: 567 bytes / Downloads: 1,040)
Erm... there is no reason to give less power to the rifle, Shotguns already get heavily boosted by One-Hit Wonder while the rifles do not. I'm just sad that Shotguns and Pistols have a passive at the MG tree but Rifles doesn't, besides the One Overcharge that shotties also get. Rifles should be precise single-bullets, a passive that helps with that would be nice
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mewni's post:
  • Trexmaster
One Overcharge is for use with any gun that only fires a single round, the picture just happens to be a shotgun.

As for the power thing, I don't think it's good design philosophy to let a weapon be defined by a class - If you make the rifle have just as much power as the shotgun then that makes it wholly superior to the shotgun for non-MG characters and strips the shotgun of its identity as the high base damage weapon subtype.

I do agree that rifles should have their own representation on the MG tree though, the class really only gives any love to handguns and shotguns while neglecting launchers and rifles.