Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Race: Ursidae
At one point, Dev showed interest (or didn't, probably was memeing) about a possible bear-like Kaelensian, so here's a suggestion that me and a few others compiled to make it come true.

Race:Ursidae
Group:Kaelensian

STR: 9
WIL: 1
SKI: 4
CEL: 4
DEF: 4
RES: 3
VIT: 8
FAI: 0
LUC: 2
GUI: 1
SAN: 4
APT: 0

Racials:
Golden Eyes:The golden, beast-like eyes of the Kaelensia reduce the effectiveness of Blindness by SAN*5 (at 20 SAN, this means total immunity). At greater than 20 SAN, while in battle, this skill also provides a bonus to hit, equal to Scaled SAN - 20 (Max: 50).

Instinct (Ursidae): The Ursidae are frightening fighters, that fight harder and stronger upon smelling fear from their target. Targets suffering from Fear status suffer Scaled SAN/4% more damage from Ursidae's attack, which increases by 50% when the Ursidae hits 50% HP, and 100% total when at 25% HP. (Based on the Scarebear's passive)

One Bear Army: The Ursidae are solitary combatants, often used to their loneliness. Unlike most races, they prefer to hunt on their own instead of groups. The sense of being outnumbered is used as an adrenaline rush. When the Ursidae is being outnumbered (2 or more) while being the last one standing, they gain 5 Armor & Evade per enemy unit.

Traits:
Forager: Being lonely hunters, the Ursidae also know how to get more herbs for their own safety, as hunting alone is often a dangerous job. Increases the gathering chance of plants and mushrooms by 20%, while also having a 50% chance of obtaining two items instead of one when gathering.

Brute Strength: The Ursidae are absurdly strong, therefore also more destructive. Increases the damage caused to objects during battle, and bashing doors will immediately break them open.

Shared Traits: Sharp Claws, Pure Instinct

Of course, these are all ideas and the numbers can be changed based on Dev's thoughts on it, but the main idea is that.
I can get behind this, I very much do think bear Kaelensians can fit into the setting, and I'm not totally saying it because I have a couple of characters in mind fitting that race Smile

Giving them a fallcall-like passive would make them pretty threatening, which is suiting for one of an animal that literally rests at the top of the food chain.

Maybe one bear army could stand to be a little stronger, but 5 for each of those stats is a good resting point.
I love this idea. Kaelens could stand to have another join their ranks, and bears would be a bright one in my eyes.

One bear army seems like it might get pretty out of hand against some kinds of opponents, like summoners. But uhh, I'm not certain completely what to do about it balance wise. Would a fear inducing ability be too much for them as a synergy with instinct, or would that be too strong of a combo?
Maksimum_Fire post_id=38109 time=1572143622 user_id=2081 Wrote:I love this idea. Kaelens could stand to have another join their ranks, and bears would be a bright one in my eyes.

One bear army seems like it might get pretty out of hand against some kinds of opponents, like summoners. But uhh, I'm not certain completely what to do about it balance wise. Would a fear inducing ability be too much for them as a synergy with instinct, or would that be too strong of a combo?

One Bear Army is meant to be strong against those types of opponents, such as Summoners or Engineers. Though while I see the problem, the number could be lowered down. The mechanic should stay the same, in my opinion.

As for a fear-inducing ability, we already have plenty of options from the classes alone, as well with Fear of Death that triggers automatically. I think it's not necessary.
Lonestar post_id=38110 time=1572148082 user_id=494 Wrote:
Maksimum_Fire post_id=38109 time=1572143622 user_id=2081 Wrote:snip

One Bear Army is meant to be strong against those types of opponents, such as Summoners or Engineers. Though while I see the problem, the number could be lowered down. The mechanic should stay the same, in my opinion.

As for a fear-inducing ability, we already have plenty of options from the classes alone, as well with Fear of Death that triggers automatically. I think it's not necessary.

That does make sense to me, and I can appreciate it. I do think that just physical armor won't do that much to help for either case, though, since engineer bot bullets pierce armor and youkai have lots of magical damage attacks. Would armor and magic armor be too much? Or maybe it could be a small DR increase instead, per opponent?

And yeah, I think you're right about that. Fear's a very common status, and with haunted soul you could really just proc it on hit quite easily.
I'll offer some critique.

The base stat-line:
It's not very bear-like It's got high strength, and high vit, but otherwise it's very similar to Lupine, with a few defensive stats shuffled around into different places. I don't personally feel they add anything different, beyond potentially being a fast Lupine.

Instinct (Ursidae):
This is too strong. Absolutely too strong. Going by the average 40 SAN that most Kael grab, you'd be doing 10% more damage at full health, 15% at 50% health, and 20% at 25% health, I'm you're reading it the way I think you intended it. I don't know how you plan to have it interact with the Instinct trait, but I can only assume it would shuffle the numbers to 15% at 75% health, and 20% at 50%

That's a massive roid, for a crazy good stat investment, with the only condition being the most prominent status effect in the game, whose sources are predominantly not even checked through status-infliction.

My suggestion would be to make it 1% per 8 scaled SAN. It doesn't kick in until you're below 75% health, and the target is feared. At 50% health, the scaling changes to 2% per 8 scaled SAN, and at 25% health the scaling changes to 3% per 8 scaled SAN. Instinct does not affect it. The scaling is to avoid any funky numbers, as SAN/5-6 give a lot of decimals.

This ensures a relatively high investment for a lot of bonus damage. I'm not at all fond of giving a race something like this, because I can already feel the % damage stacking in my bones, but I'm willing to play ball, because the rest of the idea is interesting.

One Bear Army:
This idea would be interesting, if it wasn't almost exclusively useless.

Engineer's bots ignore armour, they shoot with guns. Sure, they can miss, but evade is typically not a huge issue for any Engineer.
Summoners ignore both, outside of Evasion procs, which might be somewhat useful.
Monsters are not only going to hit you anyway at extremely high level, they're more prone to using magic than not.

It would see most effective use against a Papillion, or pathetically against a Ghost with a Wraithguard up, if you don't have your own up, that is.

This should instead be changed to general DR, per enemy outnumbering you. Something like 2% (stacking) DR per person beyond the first enemy on the first. So, say you faced off against 10 enemies, you would gain 18% general DR. This should go towards diminishing returns, of course.

Alternatively, giving the original idea magic armour could also solve the issue (at least for Summoners and monsters), but it could quickly get out of hand without a cap.

Make it 5 magical armour, physical armour, and evade per enemy, beyond the first one, capping at 15 to keep it (relatively) fair. 15 flat reduction to everything is nothing to scoff at, when combined with other sources. It's a free, better 10*

Additional notes
I like the rest of the traits. They're sufficiently bear-like and reasonable. I worry the immediate reaction is to run these as a rush-down Mortissimo Ghost/Monk, because that's pretty much what they're hyper geared towards.
MakeshiftWalrus post_id=38119 time=1572163112 user_id=56 Wrote:The base stat-line:

The idea here was mostly to have a slightly balance between defense and dodge, in terms of defensive stats, being stellar at none of them. Because despite being, and I quote "absolutely chunky" in terms of size, they can still almost match the average human speed, climb high places and swim without any problems. The high VIT is due to their size and overall weight and the high STR because well, they are really damn strong.

If I were to shuffle the stats a bit, I'd ignore the CEL and make them fully tank, so they can add more to the current list of Kaelensians we have. If you exclude Lupines, we have either ones that possess very low base DEF/RES or high in one of them and near zero in the other. From 6 total Kaelensians, we only have Lupine as the big boy defensive ones, so I'd say it'd be a good change.

MakeshiftWalrus post_id=38119 time=1572163112 user_id=56 Wrote:Instinct (Ursidae):

I can agree that the mini-Fallcall can get to be a bit too much. Yes, you read it correctly, where they'd get 15% at 50% HP and 20% at 25% with 40 scaled, but with also 40 Scaled SAN on your suggestion, the only difference lies of 5% in the end. Which is more healthy in terms of balance, but remains pretty much the same considering that Fear can be easily applied all around. The only one way to escape it would be through Shaitan, unfortunately. (or, god forbid, Courage Liquid)

MakeshiftWalrus post_id=38119 time=1572163112 user_id=56 Wrote:One Bear Army:

While I do agree that there was a bit of an oversight in regards to Engineer's bots, not all Summoner spells are, actually, spells. But skills that also do physical damage, so it wouldn't be ENTIRELY useless, just incredibly situational. But changing it to apply DR instead or adding Mag. Armor to the formula would make it more useful for those types of enemies in the end.
Counters and immunities to fear in the game do exist via Red Cape/Recklessness/Lunar Lunatism/Scorched Mind/Cleanse Body/Steel Mind, though the latter two do not help as much versus L'au dela or a haunted soul weapon, I believe the former ones listed are accessible enough to allow it to some degree.

Thats all I can really chip in with.