Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Soldier and Black Knight Suggestions
Some of these involve reworking current skills or adding entirely new ones. These suggestions are meant to inspire some ideas and consideration. I'm not expecting Dev to suddenly squish everything into wherever (and don't want that). The Soldier class is lackluster and it deserves some more love (and balance). If you like any of these or don't, clearly explain why, but other skill ideas would be appreciated. Keep it relative to Soldiers and Black Knights.

[Soldier]

[Charge]: Gather your energy in a charge, which boosts your move based on rank for 1 turn. If you Bash an enemy while under the effect of Charge, you will move along with that enemy in a line, pushing them away and pinning yourself against them in the same motion,inflicting blunt damage based on rank. If you bash an ally while under the effect of charge, they will move along in a line as well.
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 4 FP, Bash Charge Distance: 3, Base Charge Damage: 25% STR + 25% DEF
--> Rank 2: 8 FP, Bash Charge Distance: 4, Base Charge Damage: 50% STR + 25% DEF
--> Rank 3: 12 FP, Base Charge Distance: 5, Base Charge Damage: 50% STR + 50% DEF

[Thousand Stab]: Spear Skill. Pierce an enemy within 2 range with a flurry of stabs, dealing Pierce physical damage equal to percentage of your STR + SKI based on Rank, total. (Reduction from defense only applies to the total damage done.)
--> Rank 1: 10 FP, WPN Power + 15% STR + 15% SKI
--> Rank 2: 12 FP, WPN Power + 30% STR + 30% SKI
--> Rank 3: 14 FP, WPN Power + 45% STR + 45% SKI
--> Rank 4: 16 FP, WPN Power + 60% STR + 60% SKI
--> Rank 5: 20 FP, WPN Power + 75% STR + 75% SKI

[Roundtrip]: Axe skill. Line (5). Throw your weapon in a line, dealing slash physical damage to all affected. Then, the axe will return to you, dealing Slash physical damage again. (Damage reduction is applied to the totam amount rather than each hit.)
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 7 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/4 STR + WPN Weight/6
--> Rank 2: Learn skill, 9 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/4 STR + WPN Weight/4
--> Rank 3: Learn skill, 11 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/4 STR + WPN Weight/2, Enemies will be pulled one tile towards you on the second hit.
--> Rank 4: Learn skill, 13 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/2 STR + WPN Weight/2
--> Rank 5: Learn skill, 15 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/2 STR + WPN Weight

[Skill]: Spear Skill. Line (1-2) The user lunges toward the enemy, aiming for chinks in armor or to create them, and jabs the target with the spear point, dealing bonus damage, with a chance to bypass defense (based on rank). If you are under the effect of charge, the lunge distance increases by its rank.
--> Rank 1: 8 FP, Bonus Damage: +3, 3% Chance
--> Rank 2: 11 FP, Bonus Damage: +6, 6% Chance
--> Rank 3: 14 FP, Bonus Damage: +9, 9% Chance
--> Rank 4: 17 FP, Bonus Damage: +12, 12% Chance
--> Rank 5: 20 FP, Bonus Damage: +15, 15% Chance

[Skill]: Axe Skill. Single. The user performs a powerful overhead strike, causing it to deal bonus damage and diminish the target's weapon durability (based on rank). Their DEF is reduced by 2*Rank for 2 rounds.
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 12 FP, 4M, Bonus Damage: +4, -1 Weapon Durability
--> Rank 2: 14 FP, Bonus Damage: +8, -2 Weapon Durability
--> Rank 3: 16 FP, Bonus Damage: +12, -3 Weapon Durability
--> Rank 4: 18 FP, Bonus Damage: +16, -4 Weapon Durability
--> Rank 5: 20 FP, Bonus Damage: +20, -5 Weapon Durability

[Disarm]: Sword Skill. Single. When an enemy within 1 Range you are facing attacks you, there is a chance (based on rank) you will draw your sword and counteract, disarming their weapon and nullifying any damage. Prevents the use of the weapon in their main hand and appropriate skills for two rounds.
--> Rank 1: Activation Chance: SKI/4%
--> Rank 2: Activation Chance: SKI/3%
--> Rank 3: Disarming the target inflicts 10% hesitation for those two rounds.
--> Rank 4: Activation Chance: SKI/2%
--> Rank 5: If an enemy is beside you, there is a SKI/4% chance you can disarm them.

[Black Knight]

[Checkmate]: A heavy attack iconic to the Black Knights, using their heavy armor to crush and stun their opponent with power. On use, attacks a nearby target. If the attack hits, you deal bonus damage equal to your DEF, and stun chance based on rank.
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 17 FP, 5M, Stun Chance: WPN Weight/2 + 2%
--> Rank 2: 19 FP, 5M, Stun Chance: WPN Weight/2 + 4%
--> Rank 3: 21 FP, 5M, Stun Chance: WPN Weight/2 + 6%
--> Rank 4: 23 FP, 4M, Stun Chance: WPN Weight/2 + 8%
--> Rank 5: 25 FP, 4M, Stun Chance: WPN Weight/2 + 10%

[Board Shaker]: You slam your foot into the ground, shaking the earth around you and dealing Earth magic damage to all enemies in a 2 Range circle equal to your STR + your torso's weight, to a maximum based on Rank.
--> Learn Skill, 17 FP, Max Damage: 25
--> Learn Skill, 19 FP, Max Damage: 50
--> Learn Skill, 21 FP, Max Damage: 75
--> Learn Skill, 23 FP, Max Damage: 100
--> Learn Skill, 25 FP, Max Damage: 125

[First Law]: An object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a greater force. Black Knights are conditioned to gain momentum from bypassing these lesser forces. When you take physical damage equal or less than your WIL + a bonus based on Rank, you gain an additional +1 momentum. Requires Heavy Armor.
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, Trigger: WIL+2
--> Rank 2: Trigger: WIL+4
--> Rank 3: Trigger: WIL+6
--> Rank 4: Trigger: WIL+8
--> Rank 5: Trigger: WIL +10

Additional Comment: As you can see, my opinions on scaling and FP costs are completely different than Dev's and maybe others. But at a later date, I might end up reviewing other classes using the same perspective (glares at the heals).
[Soldier]

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"]

[Charge]: Gather your energy in a charge, which boosts your move based on rank for 1 turn. If you Bash an enemy while under the effect of Charge, you will move along with that enemy in a line, pushing them away and pinning yourself against them in the same motion,inflicting blunt damage based on rank. If you bash an ally while under the effect of charge, they will move along in a line as well.
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 4 FP, Bash Charge Distance: 3, Base Charge Damage: 25% STR + 25% DEF
--> Rank 2: 8 FP, Bash Charge Distance: 4, Base Charge Damage: 50% STR + 25% DEF
--> Rank 3: 12 FP, Base Charge Distance: 5, Base Charge Damage: 50% STR + 50% DEF

I like this. It makes Charge actually usefulllll.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Thousand Stab]: Spear Skill. Pierce an enemy within 2 range with a flurry of stabs, dealing Pierce physical damage equal to percentage of your STR + SKI based on Rank, total. (Reduction from defense only applies to the total damage done.)

While I like this, it is changing the basis of thousand stab and making it more STR/SKI oriented, which I guess is the point, but it also turns it into one of the best scaling attacks in the game. Which, I guess doesn't make it thattttttttt bad probably maxing out at around 120-DEF but still. For a base class, that might be a bit much of an auto hit. It's FP cost is also horrendous for a soldier, and will high-end soldiers will more or less see a 5-8 use of it in combat without resting/restoring FP. Though, I guess that is in line with every other base-class skill.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Roundtrip]: Axe skill. Line (5). Throw your weapon in a line, dealing slash physical damage to all affected. Then, the axe will return to you, dealing Slash physical damage again. (Damage reduction is applied to the totam amount rather than each hit.)
--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 7 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/4 STR + WPN Weight/6
--> Rank 2: Learn skill, 9 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/4 STR + WPN Weight/4
--> Rank 3: Learn skill, 11 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/4 STR + WPN Weight/2, Enemies will be pulled one tile towards you on the second hit.
--> Rank 4: Learn skill, 13 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/2 STR + WPN Weight/2
--> Rank 5: Learn skill, 15 FP, Damage Per Hit: WPN Power + 1/2 STR + WPN Weight

Okay, don't mind me if this is a bad idea, but I like to do a bit of number crunching. At max rank, thats 2 hits. WPN PWR+1/2 STR+WPN Weight. 30 from power, 30 from weight, plus 1/2 STR Lets assume 60 strength total. thats 90*2 per hit in a line, with defense only applying once, and it can hit multiple enemies. It also happens to cost less than thousand stab. I like it, but that might be a bit to much love for axes.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Skill]: Spear Skill. Line (1-2) The user lunges toward the enemy, aiming for chinks in armor or to create them, and jabs the target with the spear point, dealing bonus damage, with a chance to bypass defense (based on rank). If you are under the effect of charge, the lunge distance increases by its rank.

Sure.. I guess? Seems kinda nice.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Skill]: Axe Skill. Single. The user performs a powerful overhead strike, causing it to deal bonus damage and diminish the target's weapon durability (based on rank). Their DEF is reduced by 2*Rank for 2 rounds.

Name this skill Sunder, because it is wrecking EVERYONES day. That is, if you can actually hit. Might have to impose a penalty to the attack since you're performing such a powerful swing that can, and will, destroy people.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [First Law]: An object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a greater force. Soldiers are conditioned to gain momentum from bypassing these lesser forces. When you take physical damage equal or less than your WIL + a bonus based on Rank, you gain an additional +1 momentum. Requires Heavy Armor.

[Image: bee_and_puppycat_uniform_assignment_by_j...6hkpz2.gif]

I don't like this skill at all. It applies +1 momentum for simply tanking a hit, which in and of itself is fine. However it is based off of WILL. Which is something that soldiers don't have, so most attacks unless an MG is doing it, will not trigger this at all ever. However if say.. a mage were to go Evoker/BK and wear heavy armor, they could use it in their favor. < Or MG/BK for even more shenanigans. > I've stated before that having this that base off of wil, whenever the class doesn't have a growth in it, will only lead to bullshit class combos that will end up horrendously borked down the road. BKs hardly have enough WIL to have their crap trigger unless they spent 30 levels as an evoker.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Disarm]: Sword Skill. Single. When an enemy within 1 Range you are facing attacks you, there is a chance (based on rank) you will draw your sword and counteract, disarming their weapon and nullifying any damage. Prevents the use of the weapon in their main hand and appropriate skills for two rounds.
--> Rank 5: If an enemy is beside you, there is a SKI/4% chance you can disarm them.

So, more or less, this skill actually seems nice, except it seems more in line with a martial artist or kensei to disarm their foe via fancy swordplay or simply smashing their hand hard enough to cause it. I don't like how it only works with things that have hit checks < AKA: Non-Auto hits > and makes the Auto-hits stronger than ever. It also makes anyone who feels like making a basic attack, without running around a basic infantry soldier, have a % chance to just outright lose the ability to attack or deal any decent damage for two whole .rounds.

It's like Riposte, except on crack.

[Black Knight]

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Checkmate]: A heavy attack iconic to the Black Knights, using their heavy armor to crush and stun their opponent with power. On use, attacks a nearby target. If the attack hits, you deal bonus damage equal to your DEF, and stun chance based on rank.

Eh. I don't like stun chances. Stun completely breaks combat, especially with the possiblity of a stun lock, Dev said he fixed it, but he reallllllllly didn't. I brought it up forever ago. At max rank you can use an axe and get about a 25% chance, which in honesty is a lot more balanced than BLOWBACK CANNONU! Still, we all know blowjob cannon is bullshit, it needs to be nerfed. Maybe have it giving extra damage?

R1 = + 0.75*DEF damage
R2 = + 0.90*DEF Damage
R3 = + 1.10*DEF Damage
R4 = + 1.30*DEF Damage
R5 = + 1.50*DEF Damage

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Board Shaker]: You slam your foot into the ground, shaking the earth around you and dealing Earth magic damage to all enemies in a 2 Range circle equal to your STR + your torso's weight, to a maximum based on Rank.

Is.. this a change from as it is now? I guess the change is the horrid FP cost. Yeah, I'm all good for this.
Hm, some Riposte synergy and multi-hit autohits that do more damage than actual attacks?

Yeah, that's just what Soldier needed this whole time. If only Dev had thought of it before..
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=91#p91 Wrote:Soapy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:33 pm[/url]"]Hm, some Riposte synergy and multi-hit autohits that do more damage than actual attacks?

Yeah, that's just what Soldier needed this whole time. If only Dev had thought of it before..

See: http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopi...5&t=50

Maybe it'll brighten your day.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=89#p89 Wrote:Rendar » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 pm[/url]"]
Eh. I don't like stun chances. Stun completely breaks combat, especially with the possiblity of a stun lock, Dev said he fixed it, but he reallllllllly didn't. I brought it up forever ago. At max rank you can use an axe and get about a 25% chance, which in honesty is a lot more balanced than BLOWBACK CANNONU! Still, we all know blowjob cannon is bullshit, it needs to be nerfed. Maybe have it giving extra damage?

R1 = + 0.75*DEF damage
R2 = + 0.90*DEF Damage
R3 = + 1.10*DEF Damage
R4 = + 1.30*DEF Damage
R5 = + 1.50*DEF Damage
An alternative could be the damage scaling rather than the stun chance.

--> Rank 1: Learn skill, 17 FP, 5M, Stun Chance: WPN Weight/2, Bonus Damage: 0.75*DEF
--> Rank 2: 19 FP, 5M, Bonus Damage: 0.90*DEF
--> Rank 3: 21 FP, 5M, Bonus Damage: 1.10*DEF
--> Rank 4: 23 FP, 4M, Bonus Damage: 1.30*DEF
--> Rank 5: 25 FP, 4M, Bonus Damage: 1.50*DEF

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=89#p89 Wrote:Rendar » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:27 pm[/url]"]
While I like this, it is changing the basis of thousand stab and making it more STR/SKI oriented, which I guess is the point, but it also turns it into one of the best scaling attacks in the game. Which, I guess doesn't make it thattttttttt bad probably maxing out at around 120-DEF but still. For a base class, that might be a bit much of an auto hit. It's FP cost is also horrendous for a soldier, and will high-end soldiers will more or less see a 5-8 use of it in combat without resting/restoring FP. Though, I guess that is in line with every other base-class skill.
I think the cost is compatible for the rank. But I can agree that the damage can be scaled down a tad, possibly even 50% STR + 50% SKI with a reasonable cost, say 12 or 14 FP at max rank.

Okay, don't mind me if this is a bad idea, but I like to do a bit of number crunching. At max rank, thats 2 hits. WPN PWR+1/2 STR+WPN Weight. 30 from power, 30 from weight, plus 1/2 STR Lets assume 60 strength total. thats 90*2 per hit in a line, with defense only applying once, and it can hit multiple enemies. It also happens to cost less than thousand stab. I like it, but that might be a bit to much love for axes.
I agree. But how would you go about reworking the formula? I don't have too many thoughts on reorganizing that currently.

I don't like this skill at all. It applies +1 momentum for simply tanking a hit, which in and of itself is fine. However it is based off of WILL. Which is something that soldiers don't have, so most attacks unless an MG is doing it, will not trigger this at all ever. However if say.. a mage were to go Evoker/BK and wear heavy armor, they could use it in their favor. < Or MG/BK for even more shenanigans. > I've stated before that having this that base off of wil, whenever the class doesn't have a growth in it, will only lead to bullshit class combos that will end up horrendously borked down the road. BKs hardly have enough WIL to have their crap trigger unless they spent 30 levels as an evoker.
Speaking from experience, it's fairly easy to acquire enough will as a tank. Seems like you overlooked the error I made; I want to clarify that this meant for Black Knights, not Soldiers. The willpower motif from Black Knights left me with that stat. Nearly every stat can be taken advantage of, even if it were a stat like faith or resistance. It's more or less an idea to throw out there, but I'm not confident it'll be considered.

So, more or less, this skill actually seems nice, except it seems more in line with a martial artist or kensei to disarm their foe via fancy swordplay or simply smashing their hand hard enough to cause it. I don't like how it only works with things that have hit checks < AKA: Non-Auto hits > and makes the Auto-hits stronger than ever. It also makes anyone who feels like making a basic attack, without running around a basic infantry soldier, have a % chance to just outright lose the ability to attack or deal any decent damage for two whole .rounds.
I'd rather not debate about the hypothetical skill level of these soldiers. But I know for certain they're disciplined. Duelists for example? I've no clue what discipline gave them spectacular feats. Just to clarify, the disarming and nullifying cannot affect sub weapons or their skills (for balance intents). At the very least, I can see an alternative; the user can disarm main or sub weapons, but the nullification is removed. Maybe replaced with an X turn damage reduction buff.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"]

Decrease the Momentum cost, and it'd be golden. 1M cost at max rank.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Thousand Stab]: Spear Skill. Pierce an enemy within 2 range with a flurry of stabs, dealing Pierce physical damage equal to percentage of your STR + SKI based on Rank, total. (Reduction from defense only applies to the total damage done.)

That kind of scaling would be fine for a promo (RAPID KICK), but for a base class, no. Maybe half of skill and half of strength.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Roundtrip]: Axe skill. Line (5). Throw your weapon in a line, dealing slash physical damage to all affected. Then, the axe will return to you, dealing Slash physical damage again. (Damage reduction is applied to the totam amount rather than each hit.)

A liiittle too strong. Reduce the bonus from Weapon Weight, and/or make damage reduction apply to both hits.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Skill]: Spear Skill. Line (1-2) The user lunges toward the enemy, aiming for chinks in armor or to create them, and jabs the target with the spear point, dealing bonus damage, with a chance to bypass defense (based on rank). If you are under the effect of charge, the lunge distance increases by its rank.

Seems reasonable enough. I like it.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Skill]: Axe Skill. Single. The user performs a powerful overhead strike, causing it to deal bonus damage and diminish the target's weapon durability (based on rank). Their DEF is reduced by 2*Rank for 2 rounds.

I like this as-is.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [First Law]: An object either remains at rest or continues to move at a constant velocity, unless acted upon by a greater force. Soldiers are conditioned to gain momentum from bypassing these lesser forces. When you take physical damage equal or less than your WIL + a bonus based on Rank, you gain an additional +1 momentum. Requires Heavy Armor.

I like this, and think that multi-hits should proc it, even. Black Knights could use some love against guns.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Disarm]: Sword Skill. Single. When an enemy within 1 Range you are facing attacks you, there is a chance (based on rank) you will draw your sword and counteract, disarming their weapon and nullifying any damage. Prevents the use of the weapon in their main hand and appropriate skills for two rounds.

I don't like how penalized melee weapons are at the moment, so let's wait for some ranged/magical counter skills before adding in Riposte 2.0.

[Black Knight]

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Checkmate]: A heavy attack iconic to the Black Knights, using their heavy armor to crush and stun their opponent with power. On use, attacks a nearby target. If the attack hits, you deal bonus damage equal to your DEF, and stun chance based on rank.

The stun is fine, considering that the Defense bonus damage is lost. As far as I know, you're not allowed to be stunned two rounds in a row, and throwing this out too much would super burn FP.

"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=85#p85 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:50 pm[/url]"] [Board Shaker]: You slam your foot into the ground, shaking the earth around you and dealing Earth magic damage to all enemies in a 2 Range circle equal to your STR + your torso's weight, to a maximum based on Rank.

Looks acceptable to me.
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=116#p116 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:36 pm[/url]"]See: http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopi...5&t=50

Let me translate what I said.

Soldier doesn't need a better version of the old Mad Chop. Or more Riposte synergy.

Can you understand now?
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=132#p132 Wrote:Soapy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:19 pm[/url]"]
"[url=http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=116#p116 Wrote:Jay » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:36 pm[/url]"]See: http://neus-projects.net/phpBB3/viewtopi...5&t=50

Let me translate what I said.

Soldier doesn't need a better version of the old Mad Chop. Or more Riposte synergy.

Can you understand now?

Not too sure you read the nice link or the rules. But anyway, what does it need?