Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ethan's QoL and BDP changes.
Hey Sigrogonians, Ethan here.

Through my brief time of playing Sigrogana Legends 2, I have noticed some things that made some aspects of the game slightly annoying. I am by no means a great sage of wisdom, but rather a guy with some common sense. So I'm just going to throw some ideas and changes at a forum post, see what sticks and maybe see some changes in the future if all goes well.

Quality of Life Changes
Should make things easier

Travel
Travel is a weird concept in Sigrogana Legends 2, It took me three characters to discover that I could go to different places on the world map through the mage's guild. I had assumed for the most part that the Mage's guild use was solely going to be used for enchanting gear and equipment. Another aspect that seems to gripe at me is the tutorial spawn in Cellsvich. While I do not mind that spawn is in Cellsvich itself, the main gripe is that Cellsvich is the only option. It is from this that naturally, Cellsvich has become the main town of the server. Disregarding any other places on the map as potential starts and being the most developed and active.

So here's a couple of things that could be added.
  • Allow Dormenho to have a Port System, another means of fast travel to other places. If a Cat-Eared detective in Tannis can tell a story about a ship mysteriously going in a place it shouldn't, shouldn't players be allowed to travel on ships..? Or we could allow players to buy ships and travel around the overworld on water in these ships, much like in RPG games. Pirating Intensifies
  • Allow the tutorial teleporter to spawn in other capitals other than Cellsvich, also add similar starting areas to the Jammer Cavern present in the starting area. That way, the focus of the server will not be focused on Cellsvich in particular and rather on the worldscape itself.
  • Create an Asago quest that shows requires you to use the Mage's Guild teleporter or Port System, this would show players that they can leave the starting continent and how to do so.

Battle
Battle has also some minor inconveniences present, my main inconvenience is the unclear elite system that adds modifiers to monsters. Let's say I am a newer player and I encounter a jammer, I have been putting alot into my attack and have enough attack to one-hit KO a jammer. I then go on to move and attack the jammer, only to realize that the jammer was secretly a sturdy jammer and thus survived my attack. I knew the capabilities of a jammer, and wasn't prepared for the fact that this jammer was sturdy. I had no real indication of this and will have to manually check every jammer from now on to see if they have any unique modifiers. So with this in mind, I propose the following.
  • Enemies with special modifiers will have a crown above their head, similar to those that appear above BDPs when completed, this will clue the player into the fact that this enemy has a modifier.
  • At the start of every battle, display a list in the chat. This list will display the following data about monsters.
    • Level, Enemy Name, Amount of that Monster, and Special Modifiers.
      • For example, x2 Jammer LVL 1, x1 Arcane Jammer LVL 4

Black Door Phonmeona
Random Dungeon Variety

BDPs are some of the most frequented and rewarding source of equipment and experience. However, they have too little of variation and fall into a linear gameplay loop. Modifiers are some of the things that alleviate this, and more of them would also give dungeons a bit more life too them rather than them just being punching bags for us to complete. Here are some ideas I have in mind but more could been added in the future.

Gladatorial
All enemies are replaced with Arena Combatants.

Elemental
Enemies have a chance to be enchanted with Galren, Kraken, Redgull, Nerhaven or Talvyd.

Elitist
Every encounter has a guranteed chance to spawn an enemy with a modifier, bosses can also have modifiers.

Boss Rush
Amount of enemies on each floor is dramatically reduced, all enemies are replaced with boss encounters.

Infectious
At the end of a round, if standing next to an ally or enemy. Status effects are transferred, status effects transferred this way are lost at the end of combat.

Rocky
More rock hazards are added in combat, dungeons are covered in rocks.

Bombarding
After every round, a spot is designated for an explosion much like the explosion spell. At the end of that round, the explosion will trigger, dealing damage based on the dungeon's level. Rinse and repeat.

Utilitarian
More resources, traps and interactables are present.

I was feeling like adding more to this post from here, but I found that I might be putting too much on one post. I hope to see where this thread goes, regardless. Hope you enjoyed the idea. This post was more or less a binge post more than anything else.
Alright. Time to work my time wasting magic and go over all of this. Gonna probably just go over things in order and some might just be a solid 'cool' or 'Yeah, go ahead.' rather than anything of detailed value. BE WARNED.

EthanGreen post_id=39591 time=1588623740 user_id=2172 Wrote:Travel is a weird concept in Sigrogana Legends 2, It took me three characters to discover that I could go to different places on the world map through the mage's guild. I had assumed for the most part that the Mage's guild use was solely going to be used for enchanting gear and equipment.
While i'll admit that it should be more clear, nine times out of ten. Well. Someone's going to talk to NPCs which'll give a big shiny option that would blatantly tell you as much. Cellsvich Mage's Guild in particular has the lady there also speak the most about the portal system and shit.

So naturally, most any player who does happen to wield the power of the ability to talk to NPCs will quickly find out that you can go to different places. Most any player also roaming around checking everything out ends up finding the same.

EthanGreen post_id=39591 time=1588623740 user_id=2172 Wrote:Another aspect that seems to gripe at me is the tutorial spawn in Cellsvich. While I do not mind that spawn is in Cellsvich itself, the main gripe is that Cellsvich is the only option. It is from this that naturally, Cellsvich has become the main town of the server. Disregarding any other places on the map as potential starts and being the most developed and active.
Ironically, while this sounds cool to have other options there. I doubt it'd do much to change the RP Hub that is Cellsvich square for plenty of reason.

Primarily, let's go over this in minor detail as to why not.

Dormeho: That's already got a decent hub and player support at the current moment of writing this message. So this is but another hub rather than a a potential replacer to Cellsvich Square at the moment.

Tannis: Looks like ass, has questionable Lore, and literally nothing to do there. Hardly anyone would make that a hub. Doubly so with how minimal houses are there and how compact and prone to being attacked by Black Beasts it is. Even if it looks like ass, there's literally n o t h i n g to do there. Maybe when it gets a map overhaul. People have wanted to RP at Tannis but it just sucks.

Chaturanga: Literally hurts 75% of the active playerbase's eyes. Suffers the same issue of having nothing to do there besides just go to the docks or the forests in it. It's not as well made or as fancy as Cellsvich, so it tends to be more of a organized RP spot kind of deal. Many players go where the RP is, and many players would agree in that they'd not willingly go to Chaturanga to RP for prolonged periods if they could help it. Barring going inside of a house or passing through, of course.

Making it a place you could start at would do nothing more than make some place like Cellsvich all the more appealing when they initially see it.

Lispool: Also has nothing going on with it, but even worse? The only place that could remotely be considered social-worthy that's not standing in a pure vat of snow or is literally helpful to any degree is a literal Church. A church with not too much lore-giving stuff within it. Players who don't discover the Mage's Guild's functionalities fast enough may also end up stuck without much good grinding to do. The only BDPs on Lispool are usually a singular random one or two , the Static Level 65 Whirlpool and Static Level 70 Ice Caverns and whatever a Chaotic Key user makes.

That's prone to just make someone teleport to Cellsvich, if they even KNOW to teleport just to get to the Jammer Cave or literally anywhere else proper. Even IF you had a personal Jammer Cave-esque area in every single map location. What happens when you outscale it. It scales with level???????????????????? Then this only gives me more reason to see the literal issues with the world as a whole.

Oniga: Most new players don't even know it's against the law to use magic there. I can only see this turning into a moderated shitfest personally. There's way too many things I can say against this one. But in general, I rarely see people come to it or even show an interest in it outside of organized RP or heading to Law's End or to grind on Gold. Even from an OOC Point of View. I can't provide much insight on that. Since I sit there at times and i've come to terms with people not coming there often. ;-;

Karaten: It's too new for me to be judging yet. Personally, I wouldn't see people using it as much of a hub or even attempting to develop much in it.

And for all of this, naturally. They all have the fact that other players beyond a handful need to care about it, tutorial inconsistencies would just make people circle back anyhow to the mainland, Lore isn't the most showcased or clear-cut for other places, and most importantly. People need to try as a collective whole to make these places more developed and active.

All in all, this is more the fault of players and the lack of things to do or places to hang in other maps rather than the allowing of this or not and I only see more bad than good coming from this as a result. After all, once you learn of other places on the map, what's stopping you from trying to populate it or make it more developed? Just think about that.

EthanGreen post_id=39591 time=1588623740 user_id=2172 Wrote:So here's a couple of things that could be added.
  • Allow Dormenho to have a Port System, another means of fast travel to other places. If a Cat-Eared detective in Tannis can tell a story about a ship mysteriously going in a place it shouldn't, shouldn't players be allowed to travel on ships..? Or we could allow players to buy ships and travel around the overworld on water in these ships, much like in RPG games. Pirating Intensifies
  • Allow the tutorial teleporter to spawn in other capitals other than Cellsvich, also add similar starting areas to the Jammer Cavern present in the starting area. That way, the focus of the server will not be focused on Cellsvich in particular and rather on the worldscape itself.
  • Create an Asago quest that shows requires you to use the Mage's Guild teleporter or Port System, this would show players that they can leave the starting continent and how to do so.
Port System is a no due to Dev saying no to ships in a public sense due to it being expensive or some shit at some point, pretty sure. Don't quote me on that though. Personally, i'm not too for it. As cool as it sounds.

Tutorial Teleporter Stuff: Already spoke on that but to recap, no. That won't save much or give much help. Add similar areas to the Jammer Cave all you want though. But it's gonna take far more effort to make the game focused on the Worldscape as a whole and some of that players can't even begin to mingle with. There's more active places than Cellsvich anyhow at the moment.

EthanGreen post_id=39591 time=1588623740 user_id=2172 Wrote:Battle has also some minor inconveniences present, my main inconvenience is the unclear elite system that adds modifiers to monsters. Let's say I am a newer player and I encounter a jammer, I have been putting alot into my attack and have enough attack to one-hit KO a jammer. I then go on to move and attack the jammer, only to realize that the jammer was secretly a sturdy jammer and thus survived my attack. I knew the capabilities of a jammer, and wasn't prepared for the fact that this jammer was sturdy. I had no real indication of this and will have to manually check every jammer from now on to see if they have any unique modifiers.
Some do give visual indicators, but some also do not. Personally, i'm a fan of having to check over things manually or potentially get fucked for it. Adds to RP flavor as well at times. BDPs and Iahsus are fickle in nature after all. One moment a Jammer is squirming, the next it's smacking you and stunning you incomprehensibly. Should be our jobs to see and make sure Iahsus isn't up to some shenanigans.

EthanGreen post_id=39591 time=1588623740 user_id=2172 Wrote:So with this in mind, I propose the following.
  • Enemies with special modifiers will have a crown above their head, similar to those that appear above BDPs when completed, this will clue the player into the fact that this enemy has a modifier.
  • At the start of every battle, display a list in the chat. This list will display the following data about monsters.
    • Level, Enemy Name, Amount of that Monster, and Special Modifiers.
      • For example, x2 Jammer LVL 1, x1 Arcane Jammer LVL 4
Again. As I said before. Commit to work and analytical skills or potentially suffer the consequences. At best, i'll say make it an out-of-the-way stamp reward or a GUI Requiring Trait. But that's just me, considering the intent is for it to be QoL and my intent is for it to be flavorful enough for RP without just instant giving the answer for something that'll otherwise take like 3-6 seconds to check.

Not a bad idea at all though to solve the issue at hand.

EthanGreen post_id=39591 time=1588623740 user_id=2172 Wrote:Literally all of that good Random Dungeon Variety Stuff
This won't make the actual enemies any less of a pushover nor really change the linear gameplay loop but it sure as hell would make it more fun with more lackluster or less grind-oriented builds. Thus it gets my full support, as simple as that.

And with that, i've said all that I lazily wished to state. I shall now fade out until once again.
1) Ships have been requested before and while I'm not against the idea, I also don't think I am ready to make them meaningful. For one thing, there's no port towns in the game besides Chaturanga and Dormeho, so paying a lot of money for a ship just to sail around on empty waters and go back and forth between the two doesn't seem like it would be very appealing.

As far as clarity of the Mage's Guild purpose goes, I haven't heard of many people not recognizing that they could teleport but I could add something to the Tips list about it.

2) I do agree that it would be better if minibosses had a better visual indicator. Right now they do flash every so often but that can be hard to notice. Maybe something like a special battle ring icon, or something that says 'Miniboss Appears!' in the battle log.

3) More titles for BDPs are always an option, I'll keep some of these in mind the next time I add some.