Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I get knocked down, but do I get back up again
Okay so, this might not be very well received at all, and I almost don't want to make this post considering that it might sound biased, it is a little, but it's also because I wasn't fully cognitive of this before, or didn't think about it, so I guess I'll see what everyone else thinks shall I?

It's no secret that getting knocked down typically reduces ones momentum by 3, 4 with a turtleshell right, which realistically that 3 momentum is getting back up from the ground.

But what if instead of reducing momentum by 3 before the knockdown is done resolving, it reduces the momentum to get back up? Like lets take an example of the old days when two people having skip wasn't guaranteed since it wasn't hard coded into everyone, I know not a huge circumstance but. The faster person uses 6m and skips their turn, if the other person could not skip they lost their ability to knockdown in any capacity, by any means for any reason, the person in question loses their 1m and nothing happens.

While I'm not like greatly upset about this, nor do I think this specific circumstance will happen a lot, there's a new way that knockdown can be impacted and that is the Elytra shoes.

If the person uses all of their momentum to force you to knock them down and gain knockdown immunity for 1 turn for 1m, that's it, you can't actually use a knockdown and they wasted your effect, they could then just carry on like nothing happened.

Like I said, not a big deal just a sort of idea for knockdown to spend the momentum getting up instead of prior so it deters people purposefully playing into your knockdown for a benefit.
Apparently this was confusing to Koonie and so I wanted to make something clear, hopefully people see this addition.

So basically if you were to use cutthroat behind Elytra you will also suffer the knockdown, as intended, however if you were to do it with 4m or 5, you're going to be burning the knockdown, knocking them down and thusly granting yourself knockdown immunity that you were going to likely skip anyways as very few builds that knockdown can make use of 2 momentum, I don't expect to see them void gate away afterwards for sure.

Points is, maybe not fix it for knockdown in general as it is counterplay, but it'd be nice if the Elytra could function fully as intended as a counterplay to knockdown itself, where if you attempt to get back up with less than 3m it instead transfers the knockdown to a more impactful turn, otherwise they're gaining a 1m knockdown immunity.

Optionally, you could always make it so when triggering knockdown on yourself you only gain immunity if you used 3m+ to get up from the knockdown, so that they aren't granted a free immunity for nothing.
At the very least, it could be made so that knockdown immunity would be granted if 3+ momentum was used to get back up.
Personally, I'm against nerfing anything when it's as charged as this is with "buff muh elytras"

I'm also against buffing people who can knockdown because of how outright deadly it is to dodge characters. They don't need to get stuck knocked down for two whole rounds simply because they happened to hit someone with elytras.
it's a little convoluted, but what i'm getting from this is:
if someone gets up with 1M or 2M they shouldn't get knockdown immunity because they didn't suffer the major drawback of being knocked down (losing a major action on your turn), is that right? yeah, i can get behind that

EDIT: sawrock makes a compelling argument
I'm in the personal opinion that, as these situations happen more to uncontrolled knockdowns (where there's no momentum cost or action use by the inflicter) that this change would be unneeded. A reactionary effect that costs no momentum or actions has that exact advantage- and should have a suitable disadvantage of not always being the best time to use it, as opposed to decisions made on the part of the player that are controlled, but thus cost more.
[Image: rwFTX1T.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sawrock's post:
  • Joseph Jostar