Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lightning Critical 3: Crit with a vengeance.
Maybe instead of looking at Lighting maybe we shoudl look at the other elements and just ask yourself, how good ar ethey really? If you say "Lighting Criticals are BS" Then that is fair but how do you balance that so they are oka. Maybe the answer is to not allow lightning to crit but what does that leave it? Making GUI only applying half would not fix Lighttning, since if we look over to Ice, cool I can stop you from moving, as well unlesss it is a tele;ortation, flying or a movement skill.

Lightning is the reason some classes can keep up, kensei needs to crit just because it does not have great damage output any more. So perhaps we look at what classes need Lighting boosts to crit and then try to balance them after we work on lighting?
Part of the reason that I wouldn't want the lightning critical aspect of it removed is because it's honestly fun to me. Maybe not to other people, but I consider it pretty cool when you move fast and score 'THE LIGHTNING DEALS A CRITICAL BLOW' in a crit fest. Even if it sometimes doesn't do much damage because of fairly specific circumstances, it's just satisfying to see.

This is a biased statement though, since I'm someone that likes playing basic attack crit builds a lot, since I enjoy high risk high reward. I can't speak for other people about what they find fun, but I do think the crit hit part of it is fairly cool conceptually. I won't deny that lightning is strong however.
[Image: Fern22.gif]
[Image: unknown.png]
If you want my take on this personally. Just make it so lightning crits have a fixed modifier for non-magic. Like i'unno. Weapon Crit Modifier + Talent Modifier + Item Based Modifier (See: Rogue Work Gloves). That'll make it so you don't get unga bunga critical damage or anything in general. Imagine losing Bloody Palms or a shield or something in order to get your unga bunga damage. Suddenly, everything looks all fine since losing bloody palms would typically in most cases net less damage outside of specific niche situations.

And lightning magic gets Weapon Crit Modifier + Talent Modifer + Item Based Modifier + 50% of GUI. Make Highwrath from Evoker's skill tree increase that scaling for GUI by 10% per level invested rather than additional flat damage that'd scale exponentially.

This'll naturally lower the amount of damage things get overall unless in order to account for how there's minimal ways to feasibly built crit evade without being a Black Knight or a Luck Stacc warrior with a Boneheart. Since, how many non-priest builds or BK builds can put FAI in their build so easily without it being more of a crippling deterrent than anything else?

If you want to have more flavor, maybe make it so you get a bonus 3% damage for each conduiz material you have on you or something. Hell if I know. Helps you conduct electricity into your targets gut from your spear or whatever. Just thought i'd toss this out there. But yeah.

Maybe make your Lightning ATK important to it if you REALLY think a flat damage modifier is needed to 'make up for lost damage.'

To shorten this since i've not much more to add that hasn't been said.

Just modify how lightning crits function on a damage basis so that you'll have to get items or be a mage to get the most benefit of it but flat damage stacking isn't as apparent. This lowers overall damage but not too much for those building in moderation for lightning crits as a whole.

Alright, bye.
Hi. I haven't been around too much recent; but I have been keeping up with the balance changes at least. I think that the addition of 'Lightning Criticals do + flat damage based on your lightning attack' definitely brings it in line with the other elemental impact effects, but I am genuinely saddened to see Kensei enter this patch. I'll freely admit my bias; Kensei is my favorite class in this game by far so I have a vested interest in seeing it perform well in all aspects of the game, but... really... what are my options now? Tarnada + bonk someone on the head I guess.

To be clear - I think that this new effect will be much easier to balance and will lead to more healthier interactions with abilities, and perhaps there simply needs to be more data/testing done before any definitive conclusions can be drawn; but I just wanted to put my voice out there that Kensei will probably need some kind of helping hand in order to not fall behind. With lightning Kensei no longer being the bestest most obvious choice - I hope that some build diversity can finally come to the class.

...buff soggy. Smile